Home

An overlooked idea to revamp Association mode

This is a discussion on An overlooked idea to revamp Association mode within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
An overlooked idea to revamp Association mode

Two words:

Owner mode.

I adored the mode when it was introduced in Madden 2004 (which happens to be the most recent Madden I own, since I personally prefer the college games--do more recent Maddens have it?).

It was so neat, being able to decide what upgrades the stadium got, picking a new sponsor for your stadium, what to spend on advertising, what to charge for tickets and parking, and even setting the prices for refreshments. I loved to keep the prices of pizza and burgers near the minimum, while jacking up the price for beer. The fans will pay!

Heck, you could even move the team if you wanted. I remember one of the options for that was putting a team in Anchorage, Alaska...man, talk about impractical.

Anyway, like the actual current Association mode, it would let you actually control the play on the court as well--I like Football Manager 2013 and all, but lots of people want to actually play the game. Which is why Coach Mode is an option at all.

I know it's probably too late to add it to 2K14, since Visual Concepts is already working hard on that one as you read this, but I'm willing to wait an extra year. It's just that no one here seems to be bringing this up...yet to me, when I read that people here think NBA 2K's Association mode has gotten stale with no clear changes, this was the first idea that popped into my head.

I mean, surely we players could try and prove (at least in virtual form) that we could run the business side of a team better than Jordan or the Maloofs...right?

Or is there something I'm missing that would make this thread unnecessary?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: An overlooked idea to revamp Association mode

I think you and I have thought and posted along the same idea and guidelines for 2K's Association mode. Check out my blog for what my thoughts were when 2K13 came out and when it was pointed out that although some of the issues with the mode were fixed from 2K12 to 2K13, there are still some very lingering effects that have yet to be addressed that hurt the mode itself. I think you and I have the same concept in mind and an Owner mode would be a great addition, but it should be something that is implemented into the Association mode and take the place of the General Manager's spot.

I do remember playing Madden 04 or 05 or one of the those years on my computer and how great it was to set the pricing, ask the city and state for funding for a new stadium, all the little perks and situations that do come up were an option to happen. It clearly makes the gaming experience much more interesting and adds a great deal of realism into it as well.

Former Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
Eaglerock562 NBA2K MyEra Reference Guide
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

While an owner mode would be pretty cool, I'd like to see 2k fix the issues that have been with association for a decade before that. Looking at how poorly 2k handles the current mode, it would become an even bigger mess with additional features.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Two words:

Owner mode.

I adored the mode when it was introduced in Madden 2004 (which happens to be the most recent Madden I own, since I personally prefer the college games--do more recent Maddens have it?).

It was so neat, being able to decide what upgrades the stadium got, picking a new sponsor for your stadium, what to spend on advertising, what to charge for tickets and parking, and even setting the prices for refreshments. I loved to keep the prices of pizza and burgers near the minimum, while jacking up the price for beer. The fans will pay!

Heck, you could even move the team if you wanted. I remember one of the options for that was putting a team in Anchorage, Alaska...man, talk about impractical.

Anyway, like the actual current Association mode, it would let you actually control the play on the court as well--I like Football Manager 2013 and all, but lots of people want to actually play the game. Which is why Coach Mode is an option at all.

I know it's probably too late to add it to 2K14, since Visual Concepts is already working hard on that one as you read this, but I'm willing to wait an extra year. It's just that no one here seems to be bringing this up...yet to me, when I read that people here think NBA 2K's Association mode has gotten stale with no clear changes, this was the first idea that popped into my head.

I mean, surely we players could try and prove (at least in virtual form) that we could run the business side of a team better than Jordan or the Maloofs...right?

Or is there something I'm missing that would make this thread unnecessary?
I agree with this fully. I would love to see some sort of excitement rating or popularity rating tied to different players as well. That rating combined with the teams success and market would lead to money made. I think having this mode would also force teams to worry about actual cap room and how much money they spend on a yearly basis.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

This added a lot of depth to mvp baseball 06 for me, so I would be willing to give it a try as long as it didnt replace association mode, and was more of a parallel game mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Association should let us decide what position we want to hold within the NBA organization:

Owner
GM
Coach
AC
Player/Prospect Scout
Trainer

Each position holds authority, decision making, and risk (job security meter). With every position under a contract, and with the oppurtunty of advancement whether with the same team or another, whether at the same position or another(career carousal).

Career Responsibilities
Owner Controls- Hire, fire, fire during the season, tickets, drinks, overall merchandise price control, moving team, overriding other career decisions, etc.

GM Controls- Contracts, drafting, stashing players overseas, loyalty, personalities, trades, send players to d-league, team building, handle injury, player meetings, pre-draft interviews, etc.

Head Coach Controls- Create team play style, playbook, team rotation and player roles, locker room control, pep talks, in game strategies and adjustments, scout other teams, scout prospect, run the teams Pre-draft workouts, etc.

Asst. Coach Controls- Assist head coach in games, training camp, practices drill, coach summer league team, assist in in game play call, etc.

Scout Controls- Evaluate NBA, college, euro, d-league prospects, stats, scout NBA draft combine, put together team pre-draft workouts, scout summer league, etc.

Trainer Control- Player progression, rehab injuries, etc.

1. Training Camp should begin our Association. The real NBA season starts with TC.

2k should allow us to compose a TC roster consisting of undrafted rookies, free agents, and our contract players. 2k should let us run drills, condition, set improvement, as well as aid players with the playbook. We would cut players, creating our pre-season and regular season rosters.

2. During the season have meaningful practices.

Practices should be about going the last game and preparing for next opponent. Rehabbing injured players working out late free agents signing etc. Practice is important to player progression.

3. In season scouting/NBA.com.

We are the scouts, so we should be able to create a target list of possible draft prospects from the generic or created 2k draft classes. We should get weekly updates from the scouts (us) about the latest big board, draft stock, latest college, international, and d-league stats, strengths, weaknesses, personality types etc. Also there should be a section in nba.com that has draft information like espn.com. This should be a drafting tool for the guys who aren’t into the scouting aspect. Also prospects should have their class freshman, sophomore, Junior, Senior with ages.

4. Pre-Draft Scouting Features

I feel this is the most slept on aspect of association; it’s remained the same for years.

The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is the 64 best NCAA senior draft prospects. They are borderline second rounders looking to improve draft stock. PIT is an 8-team, 12-game tournament held over a four-day period. April 11th to April 14th. (Jimmy Butler, Landry Fields, and Jeremy Lin are some alum)

Draft Combine the interviews, measurements, and athletic testing. The combine is drill based, there are no scrimmages. June 6th to 8th in Chicago.

Pre-Draft Workouts there is usually about 6 players going through various drills in a team’s practice facility. Lottery picks usually workout alone. May to June.

ADIDAS Euro Camp is where international prospects show their talents in front of NBA GMs. We should be able to watch and play with up and coming NBA prospects, seeing whose got potential. It’s like the draft combine but with scrimmages and daily culminating all-star games. Not all who attend declare for the draft, so there should be guys who attend the next year. Measurements should be taken. (would create more euro buyers)

5. Draft

After you draft euros you should be able to have a option to keep them overseas “draft and stash”. While you will be updated on their progress by your player scout, or give buyout options if their still under contract. Also prospects should be able to withdraw their names from the draft.

6. Las Vegas Summer League (July 13th – 22nd) Orlando Pro Summer League (July 9th -13th)

Crazy important to the configuration of your team. As the GM we should be able to put together our summer league teams. We should be able to scout all games. Stats and evaluations should be kept for training camp reference.

7. NPBA Top 100 Camp

I just feel we should get a beat on the future talent(Fr,So,Jr,Sr). Its a drill and scrimmage event, measurements should be taken to see growth in the future. I believe this event is open to NBA scouts.

8. D-League
Bring it back, and include the D-League Showcase (Jan 7-10)

Last edited by Sydney Deane; 01-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

yeah, I know I personally would like to see more involvement for some of the things you mentioned. It would be neat if they included some of these features in my career. Like the summer league again and having different scouts show up to different games to determine your stock value.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Add Create-a-court and I'm with you.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »