Home

2013 OSFM: Seattle Mariners prospects and such

This is a discussion on 2013 OSFM: Seattle Mariners prospects and such within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
2013 OSFM: Seattle Mariners prospects and such

Seeing a couple of threads already for prospect/org discussion for other teams, thought it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling for the M's as well...

Obviously we don't know what the specific changes to franchise mode are for '13, but there's a good bet the potential system is reworked so for the mean time this will mostly be discussion on who to include since there is obviously not enough space to include every interesting prospect...

OK lets run down the list of interesting guys:

Denny Almonte OF - D/C
Taylor Ard 1B - D/C+
Logan Bawcom RHP - C/C+
Jabari Blash OF - D-/C+
Matt Brazis RHP - D/C+
Andrew Carraway RHP D+/D+
Phillips Castillo OF - F-/C+
Vince Catricala 3B - C/C+
Ji-Man Choi 1B - D/C+
Edwin Diaz RHP - F/B
Joseph DeCarlo 3B - F+/C+
Roenis Elias P - D/C
Anthony Fernandez LHP - C/C
Nick Franklin INF - C/B+ DONE
Luis Gohara LHP - F/B+
Gabriel Guerrero OF - D/B+
Jabari Henry OF - F+/C
John Hicks C - D+/B DONE
Danny Hultzen LHP - C+/A- DONE
James Jones OF - D/C+
Patrick Kivlehan 3B - D-/B
Bobby LaFromboise LHP - C/C
Leon Landry OF - D/C+
Marcus Littlewood C - F+/C+
Timothy Lopes 2B - F+/B-
Jack Marder C - C-/B-
Tyler Marlette C - F+/C+
Francisco Martinez 3B - D+/B- DONE
Brandon Maurer RHP - C+/B+ DONE
Jamodrick McGruder 2B - F+/C
Yoervis Medina RHP - D+/C
Brad Miller SS - C-/B+ DONE
Julio Morban OF - D+/B
Gabriel Noriega SS - F/D+
Jochi Ogando RHP - D-/C
Dan Paolini 2B/1B - D/C+
James Paxton LHP - C+/B+
Tyler Pike LHP - D/B
Guillermo Pimentel OF - F+/C+
Steve Proscia 3B - D+/C DONE
Stefen Romero 2B - C+/B
Victor Sanchez RHP - C/B+
Jordan Shipers LHP - D-/C
Carson Smith RHP - C/B-
Christopher Taylor SS - C-/B-
Taijuan Walker RHP - C/A+
Mike Zunino C
- C+/A DONE

2 A
1 A-
6 B+
8 B
4 B-
14 C+
9 C
1 C-
1 D+

Plus a bunch of filler

Link to the ratings and info spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...JeW9KWkE#gid=0

Players in bold have seen significant time in AA or above, so I feel like they need to be included. Here are the players on the 40-man that do not have any MLB service time:

Anthony Fernandez
Danny Hultzen
Bobby LaFromboise
Brandon Maurer
Yoervis Medina
Vinnie Catricala
Francisco Martinez
Julio Morban

Players on the 40-man who did not play in an MLB game last year and probably have to be recreated:

Chance Ruffin

So barring any more moves this offseason, the Mariners org will have 59 open spots in the game, so now lets try to figure out how to divvy up those precious spots:

31 SCEA players

25 MLB
6 AAA

On the list of interesting players, at least 9 should be in AAA next year, which means ~10 filler players are needed at the AAA level. Here are the interesting players most likely to be in AAA next year:

Logan Bawcom
Andrew Carraway
Vinnie Catricala
Nick Franklin
Danny Hultzen
Bobby LaFromboise
Brandon Maurer
James Paxton
Stefen Romero

Other candidates include (not likely IMO):

Anthony Fernandez
Yoervis Medina
Taijuan Walker
Mike Zunino

AA is where the bulk of interesting players will be, which is good since we want the upper levels to be as accurate as possible while at the same time including as many top prospects as we can:

Denny Almonte
Anthony Fernandez
Roenis Elias
John Hicks
James Jones
Leon Landry
Jack Marder
Francisco Martinez
Yoervis Medina
Brad Miller
Julio Morban
Gabriel Noriega
Steve Proscia
Carson Smith
Taijuan Walker
Mike Zunino

Once again, ~9 fillers are needed, and we'll find out who once the rosters are set.

There are 26 interesting players left for 15 slots:

Taylor Ard
Jabari Blash
Matt Brazis
Phillips Castillo
Ji-Man Choi
Edwin Diaz
Joseph DeCarlo
Luis Gohara
Gabriel Guerrero
Jabari Henry
Patrick Kivlehan
Marcus Littlewood
Timothy Lopes
Tyler Marlette
Ketel Marte
Jamodrick McGruder
Jochi Ogando
Dan Paolini
Martin Peguero
Tyler Pike
Dario Pizzano
Guillermo Pimentel
Victor Sanchez
Jordan Shipers
Chris Taylor
Dylan Unsworth

Of course, some of the older guys who should be in High Desert next year can be mixed in with the AA guys as well:

Taylor Ard
Matt Brazis
Ji-Man Choi
Dan Paolini
Chris Taylor
Jordan Shipers

Which would leave ~20 players for 15 spots... Now who to cut from this list:

Spoiler

Here are my 5 proposed cuts:

Unsworth
Peguero
Marte
Ogando/Gohara (if the age limit is the same as last year )
Pizzano

I'll post grades once we get some more info on the changes to franchise, so in the meantime, Mariners fans (and even non Mariners fans) voice your opinions!!!

Edit:

So I projected that there would be about 13 filler players, but I forgot about the MLB players dropped from the 40-man, as well as the NRI's and the MiLB rule 5 guy:

Eric Ferris 2B
Jeremy Bonderman RHP
D.J. Mitchell RHP
Kameron Loe RHP
Jhonny Nunez RHP
Ronny Paulino C

So there's potentially 9 filler spots, which would come from this list:

Brandon Bantz C AAA
Jesus Sucre C AA
Rich Poythress 1B AA
Nate Tenbrink 3B AA
Leury Bonilla UT AAA
Scott Savastano IF AAA
Joseph Dunigan OF AA
Daniel Carroll OF AA
Forrest Snow RHP AAA
Jonathan Arias RHP AA
Danny Farquhar RHP AAA
Steven Hensley RHP AAA
Brian Moran LHP AAA
James Gillheeney LHP AA
Jandy Sena RHP AAA
Trevor Miller RHP A+
Tyler Burgoon RHP A+
Moises Hernandez RHP AA
Kurt Fleming OF A
Eric Niesen LHP AA
Brian Sweeney RHP AAA
Abraham Almonte OF AA

Last edited by seanjeezy; 03-27-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added more filler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
MVP

yanksdaniel99's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: 2013 OSFM: Seattle Mariners prospects and such

That Gohara report and ranking in BP was quite interesting. Maybe it's the "shiny new guy" effect but I was thinking of him as a B, potentially higher if the progression system was fixed to more accurately represent real life.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
That Gohara report and ranking in BP was quite interesting. Maybe it's the "shiny new guy" effect but I was thinking of him as a B, potentially higher if the progression system was fixed to more accurately represent real life.
If that... far too early to slap a grade on him IMO and I strongly feel like he's better suited for '14, but if the Mariners have the balls to start him stateside a la Sanchez my expectations for him will go through the roof lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
MVP

yanksdaniel99's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
If that... far too early to slap a grade on him IMO and I strongly feel like he's better suited for '14, but if the Mariners have the balls to start him stateside a la Sanchez my expectations for him will go through the roof lol.
Yea, I would think they start him stateside like Sanchez, in which case, he could really elevate his stock by the end of the year. As you know I tend to real conservative on potentials but the more I read and watch, the more I like what I see from him.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Just for reference, here are John Sickels' grades for the top 20+ (for those unfamiliar with his grades, please read the primer):

Seattle Mariners Top 20 Prospects for 2013

The list and grades are a blending of present performance and long-term potential. Comments are welcome, but in the end all analysis and responsibility is mine. Full reports on all of players can be found in the 2013 Baseball Prospect Book. We are now taking pre-orders. Order early and order often!

QUICK PRIMER ON GRADE MEANINGS:

Grade A prospects are the elite. They have a reasonable chance of becoming stars or superstars. Almost all Grade A prospects develop into major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don't intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who may have a question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for. A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Some end up as role players or bench guys. Many don't make it at all.

Also note that there is diversity within each category. I'm a tough grader; Grade C+ is actually good praise, and some C+ prospects (especially at lower levels) turn out very well indeed.

Finally, keep in mind that all grades are shorthand. You have to read the full comment in the book for my full opinion about a player, the letter grade only tells you so much. A Grade C prospect in rookie ball could end up being very impressive, while a Grade C prospect in Triple-A is likely just a future role player.

ALL GRADES ARE PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE. No grade is final until January 10th, 2013

1) Mike Zunino, C, Grade A-: Complete catcher, either the best catching prospect in baseball or second-best behind Travis D'Arnaud. Power, patience, defense, great makeup. Does everything.

2) Taijuan Walker, RHP, Grade A-: Some slippage in his numbers, but that's forgivable for the youngest pitcher in the Double-A Southern League. Still has premium combination of fastball, breaking stuff, developing changeup, high upside.

3) Danny Hultzen, LHP, Grade B+: I will be honest, I am not comfortable with Hultzen's grade or his placement here and may revise it significantly before the book goes to press. I think it is a mistake to dismiss his Triple-A struggles too cavalierly. His command was just too poor at that level for us to ignore, especially given his past reputation and track record. I'm nosing around about this one and gathering more info and opinion, so stand by.

4) James Paxton, LHP, Grade B+: He still has occasional command troubles but the stuff is first class, love the 92-95 fastball and big-breaking curve. Number two starter upside. Very good season in Double-A (3.05 ERA, 110/54 K/BB in 106 innings).

5) Nick Franklin SS, Grade B+: I trust my eyes on this one, good tools across the board and the skills are in there. Is he a second baseman or a shortstop? I'd give him a chance at short. Needs another half-season in Triple-A following .243/.310/.416 line at Tacoma.

6) Brad Miller, SS, Grade B+: I am actually more confident in his bat than I am in Franklin's, but he's a year and a half older and that matters. Still, if anything Miller is underrated nationally. He can really hit (.320/.406/.476 in Double-A) and he has the range/arm for shortstop if he can cut down on routine errors.

7) Brandon Maurer, RHP, Grade B: Finally healthy and showed what he could do with four-pitch arsenal and mid-90s fastball, 3.20 ERA with 117/48 K/BB in 138 innings. Next stop, Triple-A. If he stays healthy, he's a number three starter.

8) Victor Sanchez, RHP, Grade B: Youngest pitcher in Northwest League held his own against older hitters at age 17 (3.18 ERA, 69/27 K/BB in 85 innings). Lacks physical projection at 6-0, 255, but already throws hard. Will truly dominate when breaking stuff improves.

9) Stefen Romero, 2B, Grade B: Not a tools guy, but just hits and hits and hits including .347/.392/.620 in Double-A. He's not bad at second base, but with other middle infield options around in this organization he may shift to a corner.

10) Carter Capps, RHP, Grade B-: Always tough to know how to grade relievers. Former catcher hits 99 MPH and reached the majors within a year of being drafted. Needs command refinements, but definite closer upside.

11) Stephen Pryor, RHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Like Capps, tough to grade. Stuff is almost as good as Capps, and he's another guy with closer potential if the command sharpens up a bit more.

12) Luis Gohara, LHP, Grade C+: At this point the C+ guys are interchangeable depending on what you want to emphasize, so please no whining about "you should have ranked #12 at #16 and #20 at #13." Gohara is a 16-year-old Brazilian lefty signed for $800,000 this past summer. He's enormously projectable and generated loud buzz in instructional league. He could turn into anything from a number one starter to an injured A-ball washout, but keep his name in mind. You might hear a lot about it next summer.

13) Gabriel Guerrero, OF, Grade C+: Vlad Guerrero's nephew tore up the Dominican Summer League, looked good in three weeks of rookie ball, and offers a similar package of tools to his uncle. That doesn't mean he will become his uncle, of course; bloodlines only take you so far (ask Preston Mattingly), but his upside clearly bears watching.

14) Patrick Kivlehan, 3B, Grade C+: Played four years of football at Rutgers, but despite years of rust he thrived when he went back to the diamond last spring, then hit .301/.373/.511 in the Northwest League. He strikes out a lot and is understandably raw for a college guy.

15) Leon Landry, OF, Grade C+: Toolsy LSU product acquired from Dodgers in Brandon League trade, runs well, gap power, good glove, hit well in California League. Profiles as fourth outfielder or platoon partner.

16) Julio Morban, OF, Grade C+: Cal League "breakouts" can't be fully trusted, especially at High Desert, but Morban looks like the best of the batch of power-hitting Latin American outfielders with bad plate discipline that the Mariners spent a lot of money on over the last few years.

17) Tyler Pike, LHP, Grade C+: Very projectable lefty was bought away from Florida State scholarship, showed three-pitch mix in rookie ball. Another mid-rotation upside arm.

18) Carson Smith, RHP, Grade C+: Dominated Arizona Fall League (2.40 ERA, 18/4 K/BB in 15 innings). Great slider, could follow Pryor and Capps into Mariners bullpen soon. Posted 2.90 ERA with 77/28 K/BB in 62 innings at High Desert, 54 hits, 2.34 GO/AO. Do you know how hard that is?

19) Anthony Fernandez, LHP, Grade C+: Four-pitch lefty posted 3.68 ERA with 79/14 K/BB in 88 innings at High Desert. Do you know how hard that is? He looked good in Double-A too (3.32 ERA with 55/24 K/BB in 76 innings). Not overpowering but knows how to pitch.

20) John Hicks, C, Grade C+: Very athletic catcher hit .312/.351/.472. It was at High Desert though, so don't assume that will hold. Stole 22 bases, threw out 54% of runners. Has strike zone issues and needs to improve blocking, but an intriguing player.

OTHER GRADE C+: Logan Bawcom, RHP; Vince Catricala, 3B; Timothy Lopes, 2B; Jack Marder, C-2B

OTHERS: Taylor Ard, 1B; Jabari Blash, OF; Matt Brazis, RHP; Jin-Man Choi, 1B; Edwin Diaz, RHP; Josephy DeCarlo, 3B; Roenis Elias, LHP; Jabari Henry, OF; James Jones, OF; Bobby LaFramboise, LHP; Marcus Littlewood, C; Tyler Marlette, C; Jamodrick McGruder, 2B; Yoervis Medina, RHP, Guillermo Pimentel, OF; Steve Proscia, INF; Jordan Shipers, LHP; Chris Taylor, SS; Carlos Triunfel, INF
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

I think that you did really really good here. Zunino has been nothing but unbelievable and he is one of maybe 10 players I'd give an A, but I'd make it a straight A--he's a probably Allstar and possibly a Hall of Fame guy.

At the same token, I like Hultzen's stuff and he's been great, only having control problems at AAA. Plus, I love his stuff. I rate him higher than Walker to be honest. That said, I think that you have them at the popular ratings (though I would flip flop them).

Paxton, though, ugh. I don't see him ever being more than an okay #3, seriously. I think he is overrated. I'd go B- but I'll take a mid B.

Franklin, I don't know. He is a high B as a 2B but only a mid B at best as a SS. I think that his cohort Miller is a mid-high B at SS. Franklin has a great stroke, I really like the mechanics of his swing--he appears to be coached very well from a young age.

The rest is spot on in my opinion, really good read and thank you for reiterating the ratings so as to not have too many A's as we did last year. I'll be putting it in every thread!!! : )
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

I haven't done any grading yet lol, these are straight copy/past from John Sickels, basically for reference... I'm holding off on assigning potential grades until the new system is further explained, plus I'm waiting for the rest of the Mariners OSFM crew to weigh in with their input.

Sickels is a notoriously hard grader, his grades are usually a tick below what you see in the Show... An A from him is the same thing as an A+ in the Show, A- is an A, B+ is an A-, etc.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I haven't done any grading yet lol, these are straight copy/past from John Sickels, basically for reference... I'm holding off on assigning potential grades until the new system is further explained, plus I'm waiting for the rest of the Mariners OSFM crew to weigh in with their input.

Sickels is a notoriously hard grader, his grades are usually a tick below what you see in the Show... An A from him is the same thing as an A+ in the Show, A- is an A, B+ is an A-, etc.
Well damn! That was in the first sentence of that post, too! I guess me and Sickels are of the same mold.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »