Home

Pump fakes getting blocked???

This is a discussion on Pump fakes getting blocked??? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Pro

TalenT's Arena

OVR: 10
Pump fakes getting blocked???

Ok I can't be the only one that has noticed this, but it's gotten unbearable to me....especially since I like to go in the post. Has anybody noticed pump fakes being blocked at an extremely high rate? And I'm not talking about legit rejections. I'm sayin' elbow, shoulder, ARMPIT blocks. This has got to stop! And I don't wanna hear that "live ball" BS because there's several instances where the ball goes through people in other situations.

XBOXONE GT: TalenT3Point0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Pump fakes getting blocked???

u playing 2k12?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Pro

TalenT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael785
u playing 2k12?
Nope, 2k13. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
Ok I can't be the only one that has noticed this, but it's gotten unbearable to me....especially since I like to go in the post. Has anybody noticed pump fakes being blocked at an extremely high rate? And I'm not talking about legit rejections. I'm sayin' elbow, shoulder, ARMPIT blocks. This has got to stop! And I don't wanna hear that "live ball" BS because there's several instances where the ball goes through people in other situations.
Live ball or no, if the ball hits something, shouldn't it be affected by that? You'd rather have MORE situations where it passes through stuff?

There's a reason why players spend much of their time in the post with their backs to the defender; it's to protect the ball. Face-up pump fakes in the post should be extremely high-risk because the defender is right up on you, unless you used the lean back or clear space moves immediately prior to facing up. If your back is to the defender, then your shot should be a hook, turnaround, or stepback, and you should be using more shimmies than pump fakes to set those up.

Use the proper post moves for the situation, and I think you won't see any more "blocked" pump fakes.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Rookie

It's not just post moves that have pump fakes get blocked, it's pump fakes in general. I think it needs addressing.

Someone mentioned that this might have been implemented into the game in response to the pump fake spammers from previous 2K titles, I'm agreeing with an additional notion they added, in which 2KSports went far too extreme with it.

If you secure an offensive rebound in a crowd, and go for a pump fake before trying to score, you may just lose the ball, and not off of a steal either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Pro

TalenT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
Live ball or no, if the ball hits something, shouldn't it be affected by that? You'd rather have MORE situations where it passes through stuff?

There's a reason why players spend much of their time in the post with their backs to the defender; it's to protect the ball. Face-up pump fakes in the post should be extremely high-risk because the defender is right up on you, unless you used the lean back or clear space moves immediately prior to facing up. If your back is to the defender, then your shot should be a hook, turnaround, or stepback, and you should be using more shimmies than pump fakes to set those up.

Use the proper post moves for the situation, and I think you won't see any more "blocked" pump fakes.
I see what you're trying to say, but it's not JUST in the post. I just said it's annoying because I go into the post a lot. I think you'd agree with me that a pump fake's purpose is to get the defender leaning or off of his feet. What good is it if you get them to jump and they block it with their thigh? Again, I understand what you're saying but this is not a free ball. The ball is in my hand. It should take more than a player "brushing" against the ball to jar it loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyOnTheIcePlease
It's not just post moves that have pump fakes get blocked, it's pump fakes in general. I think it needs addressing.

Someone mentioned that this might have been implemented into the game in response to the pump fake spammers from previous 2K titles, I'm agreeing with an additional notion they added, in which 2KSports went far too extreme with it.

If you secure an offensive rebound in a crowd, and go for a pump fake before trying to score, you may just lose the ball, and not off of a steal either.
Exactly what I was trying to say...it happens all over the court. More so in close quarters and I love the post. I agree w/ trying to fix the pump fake spam but I don't think this is the way. How about a downward swipe at the ball during the many pump fakes that smacks it loose ala Karl Malone? That might work.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyOnTheIcePlease

But again, that's all about spacing/timing - as it should be. Using the correct move at the correct time is your responsibility.

The situation you describe happens regularly IRL, and every time someone has posted a video to show "evidence" that 2k should change this; it has instead revealed 100% user error by any realistic basketball standard.

If you are exposing the ball in any situation where the defender can touch some body part to it (or running the ball into them yourself), how can it be unreasonable that the ball then hits said body part and is knocked loose?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
I see what you're trying to say, but it's not JUST in the post. I just said it's annoying because I go into the post a lot. I think you'd agree with me that a pump fake's purpose is to get the defender leaning or off of his feet. What good is it if you get them to jump and they block it with their thigh? Again, I understand what you're saying but this is not a free ball. The ball is in my hand. It should take more than a player "brushing" against the ball to jar it loose .
Having the ball in a shooting motion is not exactly a tight grip. I have been pump-faked off my feet IRL and still stripped the ball on the way down, or brushed against it and knocked it loose if the shooter didn't move the right way to take advantage. I am not just trying to play devil's advocate here. The game is telling you that you're using pump fakes in the wrong situation, or the wrong move following the fake.

There are many 2k players, myself included, that do not have issues with it (and never had their shot blocked by an armpit in 2k12 either). I wouldn't bother disputing your gripe if I didn't feel very strongly that you could learn to avoid these situations completely, and that any likely change made by 2k would dumb down the gameplay in a harmful way.

Last edited by Streaky McFloorburn; 12-31-2012 at 02:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »