Home

Hoops Dynasty: Career of Hooper15c

This is a discussion on Hoops Dynasty: Career of Hooper15c within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

OVR: 0
Hoops Dynasty: Career of Hooper15c

I’ve been looking for a nice place to make a recap about my exploits in the world of Hoops Dynasty at Whatifsports. It’s a game where you take over as the coach of a division 3 school and work your way up to division 1. I’m going to be going over my early seasons, just on memory, but from here on out I’ll be doing it with much more precision. I’ve been playing HD, this will be my 23rd season, and they simulate one game a night and an entire season can get finished in a month and a half. That is from recruiting to post-season improvements. Hoops Dynasty has a National Tournament (like the NCAA Tournament) and a Postseason Invitational Tournament (like the NIT) at the end of the season.

Season 1: DIII Wisconsin Superior (26-7, RPI:39)
-My first season in Hoops Dynasty was a successful one. I earned the conference coach of the year award in the WIAC. Also had 2 seasons recognized with prestigious postseason awards (1st Team All-American, other Conference Player of the Year). The team made it all the way to the Final Four of the PIT.

Season 2: DII Tiffin (16-11, RPI:121)
-My first season at Division II was going to be a challenge for me. I had taken over at Tiffin, which had just made it to the Elite 8 of the National Tournament. They also had a handful of seniors leaving, so it required one heck of a recruiting effort from a “rookie”.

Season 3: Tiffin (17-12, RPI:161)
-Another season where I played with the previous coaches players. My recruits were still too young to contribute much to the team. And I had my second straight mediocre season.

Season 4: Tiffin (20-8, RPI: 48)
-The first really good season I had at Division II. My original recruits were finally able to make an impact. So it helped show that my recruiting abilities were at least adequate. We got an at-large bid to the National Tournament this season.

Season 5: Tiffin (16-13, RPI: 44)
-Probably my best season as a coach while I’ve played HD, for sure my best season to this point. The record may not be as good as the previous season, but the record doesn’t show the fact that Tiffin had a top-5 strength of schedule this season. That included a win against then #1 Delta State, my biggest win in HD history. This was also the first season in which one of my teams was ranked in the top 25.

Season 6: DI Texas A&M – Corpus Christi (19-9, RPI: 145)
-My first journey into division I brought me to the south of Texas to CC which had had a 2-win season. So anything I did was going improve on the team’s win total. I had gone into the season expecting about 10 wins, and was ecstatic that I was able to win 19. This was my second conference coach of the year award season as well.

Season 7: Texas A&M – Corpus Christi (15-13, RPI: 178)
-The team kind of fell back to earth and what was expected from them based on their 2-wins from 2 years before. I have had a hard time recruiting the first 2 years at CC based on the fact that their prestige was in the gutter and not many of the top athletes were jumping at the chance to play ball for us.

Season 8: Texas A&M – Corpus Christi (15-12, RPI:166)
-The second straight so-so season in a row. Nothing special about this year, except I finally started getting my recruits integrated into the squad and things were starting to look up as far as the future of the team goes. It was obvious that this rebuilding process was going to be more time consuming, and would require more seasons, than my Tiffin retool.

Season 9: Texas A&M – Corpus Christi (17-11, RPI:147)
-I had started seeing that my recruits would be able to win me a few more games once I get them some playing time. I was excited to see how my team would play the next few seasons in that I will get to go through multiple recruiting cycles. So I should be able to send multiple classes through to their graduations.

Season 10: Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (20-8, RPI:115)
-This was my first season where I felt like I had a real shot at the post season. Sadly it didn't end the way that I had hoped for it to. However I have established a solid base of youth to build the program on top of.

Season 11: Texas A&M - Corpus Chisti (22-6, RPI: 42)
-I was unable to win my conference tournament, after claiming the regular season title. However I was awarded for my great season by getting an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. I was the 9 seed out west and faced off against Utah State who came in at 28-1 on the season. They hadn't played a tough schedule, but they were mowing through the competition with their senior dominated roster. They made short work of me, but my 1st trip the big dance at D1 was a great experience.

Season 12: Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (17-10, RPI: 126)
- This season wasn't what I had hoped for and resulted in me missing out on any and all post-season accomplishments.

Season 13: Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (23-6, RPI: 80)
- Unlike that previous year, our record looked much nicer this time around. Sadly our RPI wasn't that great and since we were only able to escape with the regular season conference title (and not the postseason one) it left us high and dry and gave us a bid to the PIT (NIT) which where we lost in the 1st round. *Was awarded coach of the year in the conference.

Season 14: Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (23-7, RPI: 59)
- Moving on up to the big dance as our RPI proved to be high enough to earn us an at large bid this season. Again we won the regular season conference title but were unable to hoist the trophy after the tournament and were stuck waiting on the bubble to hear our names called. Sadly we were knocked out in the 1st round, but at least we made it that far. *2nd straight Coach of the Year award.

Season 15: D1 Pennsylvania (14-14, RPI: 121)
- Following that 2nd straight tournament appearance, I decided to make the jump up to a larger conference team and Penn served as that option in the Ivy league. Of course I wasn't set up with all my guys like I was at CC, so the going was a little difficult.

Season 16: Penn (15-13, RPI: 103)
- I found that recruiting in the northeast wasn't nearly as easy as it was down south. I attribute this to just the amount of other teams up in the New England area that are there to fight you for the top recruits. Sadly this looked like it would be a long, difficult stay here.

Season 17: Penn (6-21, RPI: 231)
- Another year with no accolades and sadly there wasn't much of a light at the end of the tunnel either...

Season 18: Penn (12-15, RPI: 127)
- A better year than the previous one, but an RPI this high isn't going to get me into any postseason tournaments anytime soon.

Season 19: Penn (17-12, RPI: 76)
- We actually won the regular season conference title this season and got a bid to play in the PIT, where we sadly got beaten in the 1st round. At least it was our first trip to a postseason tournament since I made the move from CC.

Season 20: Penn (16-13, RPI: 126)
- I said earlier that I was starting to sense how much more difficult it was to recruit up here, well at this stage I had mostly gotten fed up with it and was winding down my enjoyment of the game and thought maybe toning it back a notch and getting wins again would help with that.

Season 21: D2 Wheeling Jesuit (23-8, RPI: 15)
- This season marks one of the best I've had during my entire career as I got my first, and only, win in the national tournament with this squad along with a regular season conference crown.

Season 22: Wheeling Jesuit (15-12, RPI: 135)
- Sadly it was about this time that my interest in HD sort of fell off. It coincided with life getting busy in college and just sort of drifting away from the game.

**16 in-game seasons passed (each season takes about a month and a half) before I decided to make a triumphant return**

Season 23: D2 Livingstone

Overall Record: 384-241
Conference Record: 233-119
Conference Titles: 8
Conference Tournament Titles: 0

National Tournament Bids: 5
National Tournament Record: 1-5

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Re: Hoops Dynasty: Career of Hooper15c

This brings me to my 23rd season of coaching a Hoops Dynasty team within this Universe (What If Sports has multiple different worlds that you can take part in at one time). After long deliberation I have decided to leave the comforts of retirement and return to the coaching ranks and after searching all open jobs I found the one that fit me the best was Livingstone University in the CIAA. They return 3 Seniors, 1 Junior, and 3 Sophomores from a team that made it to the National Tournament each of the past 3 seasons (and out of the first round in 2 of them). I felt like it was the perfect opportunity to both find a place that would allow me to recruit talented kids all over the east coast but also compete right from the beginning at the national level.

The recruiting cycle went much better than I had expected after being away for so long. Of the original 8 players I had targeted, I was able to fill my 5 scholarships which include two nationally ranked players at their respective positions (Eugene Renosky and George Gross). Introducing these 5 talented players to the roster has really rounded it out and should provide me with the perfect combination to ensure that LU makes it back to the big dance.

My team will be led by the senior leadership of PG Russell Moe, SG Stephen Bradley, and SF Mack Goss. Moe is a freak of an athlete who has been predominantly used as a shutdown defender to this point in his career. As the starting PG we’re going to need him to improve his Assist numbers from his career 1.1 APG average. Bradley functions as a jack of all trades as he can be counted on to get key stops when we need them and knock down big shots with his above average outside jumper. Goss will have to carry the bulk of the scoring load for this team and should be able to greatly improve his 9.6 PPG average from last season.

The rest of the starting lineup will be filled out by Junior Benjamin Tatum at the PF position and Sophomore Arnold Davies playing Center. Tatum is the lone returning starter from last season but only had averages of 2.5 PPG and 5.3 RPG, both of which will need to be improved on this season as his supporting cast won’t be nearly as strong offensively as he had last season. Davies looks poised and ready to take full advantage of his increased role this season. His biggest weakness is on the defensive end, but he makes up for it in the post and on the glass. He played over 15 minutes per game as freshman last season and pulled in 4.2 RPG while scoring almost 2 PPG. His increased role should lead to both those averages improving.

Other players who will see increased responsibility are Sophomores Gary Woods and Ronald Smiley. Woods, who will function as the main backup to Bradley at SG, is a better pure shooter than Bradley but isn’t nearly as athletic or as good on the defensive end of the court. Those will improve as he gets older and more experience though. Smiley likely will get 6th man-type minutes as he will be the primary backup to both Tatum and Davies. I hope to run a 3 man cycle through those two positions as to not have to rely too heavily on incoming Freshman George Gross.

Speaking of the Freshman, all the eligible ones will see lots of playing time this season (William Saxton has been redshirted to both help even out classes and also thin the depth at the PG position). Renosky will serve as the main backup to Moe at PG, but Calvert will be nipping at his heels to get PT if Renosky starts to falter. Calvert comes into the fold as already the best perimeter shooter on the roster, once the rest of his skills develop, he’ll be a solid ace in the whole for the rest of his career. Thomas Dorazio will also see backup minutes as he will be called on when Goss needs a breather. Of course, since Goss will likely be called upon to do a large bulk of scoring, and is in the best shape of anyone on the team, Dorazio may not see more than 10 or so minutes per game. Finally Gross will be worked into the big man rotation as they need breaks and should fill in quite admirably. He is probably the one recruit with the most potential which is how he earned the ranking of a top 200 center in the nation for his recruiting class.

That’s how the team was set up for the exhibition games that took place yesterday and today. The first one saw us host N. Florida who was a national tournament team last season but lost a good chunk of their players to graduation so were merely a shell of their selves from last season and that showed in their performance. We jumped out to a 41-29 lead in the first half and never looked back as the 2nd half got even more out of hand with a final score of 92-61. We got 3 players into double figures as Goss finished with 29, Moe had 18, and Tatum had 17. There wasn’t much to complain about, but that issue of assists/turnovers I said needed to be improved upon by Moe turns out to be a team-wide issue as we had 13 assists and 15 turnovers for the game.

The 2nd and final exhibition game was against #15 ranked Minnesota, Crookston. They returned 5 seniors that have been to back-to-back national tournaments, including a trip to the Sweet 16 two seasons ago. This was a much more evenly contested matchup as we headed into halftime all knotted up 31-31. Through the first 7:30 of the 2nd half we had built a 12 pt lead and led 49-37, but that was when they woke up and slowly chipped away at my lead. By the 3:21 mark they converted an And-1 to take a 59-58 lead (their first lead of the 2nd half). That coincides with when the wheels sort of fell of for us as our next 5 possessions went Turnover, Turnover, Miss, Turnover, Miss. By that point they had a 63-58 lead with 1:34 left. After some back-and-forth it ends up as a 74-66 final, but the game was much closer than that final score showed. Goss finished with 26 pts and Moe contributed with 12. Again turnovers were an issue as we had 16 to go along with only 10 assists. Davies contributed the first 10+ rebounding performance of his career with 13.

Regular season starts tomorrow as Livingstone travels to Goldey-Beacom to take on a Sim AI (computer) coached team.

**I'm about halfway through the season at this point, but just wanted to get you caught up as best I could and will make each post as though each game is just taking place now**

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-03-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

D2 Livingstone University
Salisbury, NC
Conference: Central intercollegiate Athletic Association

Team History:
Conference Championships: 16
Conference Tournament Championships: 11
National Tournament Bids: 27
National Championships: 0
NIT Bids: 14
NIT Championships: 0

Incoming Recruiting Class
PG Larry Calvert
PG Eugene Renosky (#192 ranked PG)
PG William Saxton
SF Thomas Dorazio
C George Gross (#186 ranked C)

Current Roster:
PG Russell Moe (SR) – 5’10” 177#
PG Larry Calvert (FR) – 5’9” 166#
PG Eugene Renosky (FR) – 6’2” 186#
*PG William Saxton (FR) – 5’11” 188#
SG Stephen Bradley (SR) – 5’11” 188#
SG Gary Woods (SO) – 6’3” 193#
SF Mack Goss (SR) – 6’9” 228#
SF Thomas Dorazio (FR) – 6’7” 204#
C Benjamin Tatum (JR) – 6’10” 244#
C Arnold Davies (SO) – 6’10” 220#
C Ronald Smiley (SO) – 6’8” 217#
C George Gross (FR) – 6’10” 230#
* = Redshirting

Depth Chart
PG: Moe/Renosky/Calvert
SG: Bradley/Woods/Calvert
SF: Goss/Dorazio
PF: Tatum/Smiley/Goss
C: Davies/Smiley/Goss

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-03-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Livingstone (0-0) at Goldey-Beacom (0-0)

Opening night across the country and these young men are yearning to play in some games that actually matter and count towards the end goal of making it to the big dance. Goldey-Beacom returning 4 seniors and 3 sophomores from a team that went 7-20 last season. They have a very balanced scoring attack from their SG Small and big men Patton and Sims.

The game was for sure not the start I was hoping to see as I watched them jump out to an early 5-0 lead. They did a great job making us uncomfortable and about a half step off for most of the first half. They led all 20 minutes and were even able to push their lead to 8 on multiple occasions. Luckily right before the halftime buzzer we were able to cut their lead to 2 as Tatum hit a buzzer beater as the clock expired. So we went into halftime of our 1st official game of the season trailing 36-37. The shining star of that half had to be our leader Mack Goss who chipped in 20 pts to go along with 4 boards.

When the second half started, it went much more the way I expected the game to begin as we went on an 8-0 run to open and took our first lead of the game pushing it to 44-37, with 16 to play. GBU’s lack of conditioning and endurance started showing through as the 2nd half wore on as they just continued to lose ground and instead of clawing into the lead, they found themselves deeper and deeper into the hole. By the 10 minute mark they were trailing 57-45. They were never able to get it any closer than that as Moe was able to run out the clock at the end to cap off a 75-60 victory.

Livingstone (9-11, 7-2)
STARTERSMINFGM-AFGM3-AFTM-AOFFREBASTTOSTLBLKPFPTS
Arnold Davies, c264-80-02-5050103210
Benjamin Tatum, c257-130-04-5480204118
Mack Goss, sf3012-222-58-10162201334
Stephen Bradley, sg270-00-00-012622010
Russell Moe, pg272-30-02-311412006
BENCHMINFGM-AFGM3-AFTM-AOFFREBASTTOSTLBLKPFPTS
Ronald Smiley, c191-10-01-216000233
Eugene Renosky, pg131-10-00-001001022
Gary Woods, sg130-10-01-200300021
George Gross, c100-00-00-025100010
Thomas Dorazio, sf90-00-01-200000101
Larry Calvert, pg10-00-00-000000000
Totals20027-492-519-2910341685111575
Percentages .551.400.655

Goldey-Beacom (3-16, 2-7)
Jack Patton, c284-80-02-2280112210
James Sims, pf305-110-11-3482200311
Melvin Boling, pf263-50-01-125110147
Jack Smail, sg287-153-73-3004310120
Joshua McDaniel, pg132-30-02-200201056
Luther Landrum, pg231-60-20-000221012
Laverne Estes, c170-30-00-017012210
James Dorey, sg161-21-10-000000003
Eric Hinderberger, sf130-10-10-011000130
Scott Pendergrass, pf60-20-01-200000011
Totals20023-564-1210-1310291110662160
Percentages .411.333.769

Up Next for LU: University of Indianapolis (1-0)
UI returns 4 seniors, 1 junior, and 5 sophomores from a 16-12 team. They picked up a win on opening night over Winston-Salem St by a score of 62-45 and look like they’ll be another team with very even scoring who play solid team defense. Going into this matchup I’ll be tweaking the offensive distribution numbers in order to try and get the ball inside to Tatum and Davies a little bit more and take some of the scoring burden off Goss as I can’t continue to ask him to shoot half of my team’s shots (12-22 and team was 27-49). Also will try to get Bradley and Woods more involved and get them some open looks from the perimeter as they went a combined 0-1 against GBU. There is no time to celebrate a game we were supposed to win as now we play a team that is, on paper, an even matchup for us.

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-04-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Livingstone (1-0) vs University of Indianapolis (1-0)

Going into this matchup I decided to adjust the distribution of the offense so that Goss wasn’t counted on to score 30+ points a game in order for us to win. Sadly, that’s what we would have needed this game. We came out of the gate sluggish and looked sort of like a bunch of giant turds playing out there. U of I jumped out to a 39-27 lead at half. The second half we resembled more of a polished turd, but a turd none-the-less. We ended up outscoring them in the 2nd half, but not by enough to pull off the victory as we fell to 1-1 with a 73-65 loss. Their starting SF went for 26 on 14-18 from the free throw line. We did manage to see a bit more balanced scoring as Goss and Tatum finished in double figures with Davies chipping in 9. We also had 15 assists compared to 14 TOs while forcing them to commit 17. So there were a few battles to be won, but sadly the war was lost.

U. of Indianapolis (9-10, 2-7)
Carlos Carr, c311-40-20-0211012612
Isreal Mattingly, pf271-30-10-0211010132
Brian Saunders, sg345-92-414-18031041126
Daniel Heaton, sg327-142-26-8233510522
James Laymon, pg303-52-40-000551028
Barry Hansen, pf122-20-00-013000104
Jeremy Baczewski, pg101-20-02-200020014
Charles Brown, sf90-10-10-001120000
Cory Etheridge, c80-10-10-000000010
Thomas Lightsey, sf71-11-12-200010005
Totals20021-427-1624-307321017891473
Percentages .500.438.800

Livingstone (9-11, 7-2)
Arnold Davies, c214-140-21-369121149
Benjamin Tatum, c285-100-02-2150231212
Mack Goss, sf257-172-51-2141300417
Stephen Bradley, sg232-62-60-000511056
Russell Moe, pg282-50-04-433124028
Ronald Smiley, c192-20-00-014011014
Thomas Dorazio, sf150-00-00-012010000
George Gross, c121-10-00-001010012
Eugene Renosky, pg120-00-00-000510000
Gary Woods, sg111-51-54-400100037
Larry Calvert, pg60-00-00-000100010
Totals20024-605-1812-15132815141022365
Percentages .400.278.800

Following that loss I decided to make some changes as I decided that Bradley, whom had been starting at SG, was a better candidate to play PG than Moe so I swapped them positions but left all other aspects the same. We were set to travel to play at Winona State who was also (0-2) but had a human coach so could be capable of almost anything.

Livingstone (1-1) @ Winona St (0-2)

This game we had a much better start. It was still a back-and-forth battle in the 1st and we were able to hold a 31-30 lead going into halftime. This was the first time since the first game that I felt like we were headed in the right direction. Of course as this team is teaching me, right about the time I start to get some confidence they just forget how to play the game and take a dump right on the court. They opened the second half on a sizeable run that pushed them out front by 8 pts and I was only able to cut it to 4 a few times the rest of the way as they ended up stealing their first win of the season by a score of 74-64. Goss was the leading scorer with 23.

Upon further review of the first 3 games of the season I have decided to make a major shakeup. Through 3 games Moe has averaged 5.3 pts, 2.3 rebs, 2.0 assists and 1.7 assists all in 27 minutes per game. That isn’t the sort of production I expect from a starter on a team that should have aspirations of making it to the big dance. So the decision has been made to give the reigns over to freshman Eugene Renosky. If you recall, he came in as the 192nd ranked PG of this current freshman class. Renosky has averaged 3 assists and 1.3 TOs per game in about 15 minutes. He is much more of the prototypical PG that I want but by starting him this early I’m giving up a great deal of defensive ability and athleticism. This move slots Moe in as the first guard off the bench where he should be able to provide us with a better scoring punch and generate more turnovers as he’s applying his defensive pressure against tired starters or 2nd string guys.

The first start of Renosky’s career will be tonight when we travel to play at University of the Sciences (yes, that is actually a school in Philadelphia, PA). They come into the game with a record of 1-1, their loss came to #20 Wayne State last night. So I’m in for what should be a good game, and one I hope to keep close to show that the roster changes have made a noticeable impact.

Livingstone (9-11, 7-2)
Arnold Davies, c161-40-01-205111153
Benjamin Tatum, c284-110-01-237110149
Mack Goss, sf288-173-84-4470200223
Russell Moe, pg261-40-00-013121002
Stephen Bradley, sg253-82-70-011320058
Ronald Smiley, c222-70-02-437030046
Eugene Renosky, pg150-00-00-000430020
Gary Woods, sg142-52-50-011010016
George Gross, c142-20-03-314012007
Thomas Dorazio, sf120-00-00-001010010
Totals20023-587-2011-1514361017422464
Percentages .397.350.733

Winona St. (10-10, 6-4)
Larry McClaine, c212-51-42-516002127
David Hause, pf284-81-26-6362300115
Charles Boley, sf311-51-32-213112025
Jack Roberson, sg296-133-83-4254120318
John Simmons, pg242-41-35-8121200410
Patrick Harvey, sg201-21-20-002131103
Scott Smith, c181-40-21-204011003
Robert Gardner, pf160-20-12-402010222
Ronald McKen, pg93-52-40-000000038
Joseph Scott, c41-10-01-113010103
Totals20021-4910-2922-32933913851774
Percentages .429.345.688

**Just to give you a look behind the curtain, here are the two players key attributes...

Player - Athleticism/Defense/Perimeter/Ball Handling/Passing
Moe - 83/88/48/65/39
Renosky - 28/32/51/65/57

Renosky has lots of room to grow in Defense, Perimeter, and has huge upside in Ball Handling. Depending how he does with this shot could determine how the rest of his career plays out as William Saxton who is redshirted this year has the potential to be as good across the board and a much better passer than Renosky. So this will determine how reluctant I am to give Saxton (38/16/61/44/52) a shot next season...

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-04-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Livingstone (1-2) @ U of the Sciences (1-1)

And so it begins, the hopefully long career of Eugene Renosky as a starting PG. Would the first game be a giant step in the right direction or would it be marred by freshman mistakes and overall issues. I’m just going to outline the first 1:07 of the game to give you an idea of which of those this game ended up being for Eugene. US won the tip, Eugene got called for a reach-in foul, they missed a 3, we got the board and Goss drilled a 3 (assisted by Eugene) to give us a 3-0 lead 58 seconds in. They run almost 20 seconds of offense and Eugene commits another reach-in foul, 2 fouls, 1 assist, 1:07 into his first start. He was then placed right on the bench until the 3:54 mark left in the half. Figure he could play smart and not foul the rest of the half. Less than 30 seconds later Eugene fouls their PG while shooting a jumpshot. So for the first half Renosky has played all of 1:37 in his first career start… To go along with his poor showing, we also were looking at a 41-30 deficit.

The second half started, with Eugene on the bench, and it was pretty much even when Eugene came back in 4 minutes into the half and us trailing 38-50. This time he managed to stay out there for all of 1:15 and miss one jumper before he committing his 4th foul of the game and burning a path right back to the bench. We were actually able to apply some pressure and cut the lead down to 59-53 when Renosky was reinserted back into the game with 7:36 remaining. He proceeded to get his 2nd assist of the game and immediate foul out with 6:41 left in the game. His final like was 4 minutes, 0 pts on 0-1 shooting, and 2 assists. I am quite pleased with his 2 assists as that is exactly what I want and need from my PG, and if he can stretch that into 20 minutes of action and end up with 10 assists, then he’ll fill the exact role that I need him in. They just played even with us the rest of the way and ended up making some free throws to seal a 74-64 victory against us.

Goss ended with 23 pts and 10 rebs, Tatum had 15 and 6, while Davies finished with 11 rebounds. We improved this game as we shot almost 44% from the field and 75% from the line, but 12 turnovers while only getting 11 assists (led by 3rd string PG freshman Larry Calvert who played 9 minutes and was credited with 3 assists).

Livingstone (9-11, 7-2)
Arnold Davies, c281-40-03-4211121115
Benjamin Tatum, c236-100-03-4260202115
Mack Goss, sf309-201-44-65101200223
Stephen Bradley, sg261-41-40-000110023
Eugene Renosky, pg40-10-00-000200050
Russell Moe, pg273-70-02-212122028
Ronald Smiley, c170-20-00-023000120
Gary Woods, sg141-31-30-000210023
George Gross, c122-20-00-013001014
Thomas Dorazio, sf100-00-00-000020000
Larry Calvert, pg91-21-20-000300013
Totals20024-554-1312-1613351112441964
Percentages .436.308.750

U. of the Sciences (11-9, 7-3)
Robert Gregg, c304-40-03-6380101311
Robert Huson, pf305-142-71-12102000213
Victor McDaniel, sf304-82-40-1012112310
Dale Smith, sg345-93-64-4004211217
Scot Adams, pg322-50-02-203530016
Robert Sena, sg103-53-50-100100029
Dikembe Abdon, pf100-10-01-200200001
Michael Lee, c101-10-00-015000002
Manuel Moore, pg82-21-10-100222005
Phillip May, sf50-00-00-000000000
Olen Charon, pf10-00-00-000000000
Totals20026-4911-2311-18627189441374
Percentages .531.478.611

There is no rest for the men as we play a home game against 3-1 Rollings University. This season of change isn’t done yet as I’ve made the change in defense from running a half-court pressure into a 2-3 to now we’re going to run a full court press all game long. This could be an issue given our current fouling troubles, but I feel like the team is most knowledgeable about running the press so we’d see a greater amount of benefits from our experienced players. Plus Renosky, who will remain in the starting lineup, is as bad as you can get at both defensive types so it’s not like he’ll be any worse playing the press…

Last edited by Badgerfan1533; 12-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Livingstone vs Rollins

Rollins is a solid team on paper, despite being run by a Sim AI coach, and they proved to be just that as their guards started hot and stayed that way the entire game. This was a game that I left Renosky in the starting lineup and he ran into foul trouble as he only played a total of 9 minutes while racking up 4 fouls. The first half came to an end with Rollins clinging to a 44-40 lead. We were keeping it close and really just a couple bounces from finding ourselves in the driver’s seat. Sadly all the bounces went Rollins way in the 2nd half as they outscored me by 13 in the final 20 minutes to cruise to a 86-69 victory. Goss scored 25 in the loss as Livingstone dropped to 1-4 on the season with a battle at Western State coming up next.

Livingstone @ Western State

Renosky has been pulled from the starting lineup as a result of his lackluster play in the starting lineup. That is likely due to his lack of knowledge of the offense and defense that are leading to the numerous fouls when he’s matched up against the other teams top PG, so coming off the bench will suit him best until he gets a better understanding of running the triangle and press that we have adopted as our primary O and D. That puts Moe back in the starting lineup which I do reluctantly and he does a great job of proving that it likely isn’t deserved. Unlike the previous game, this time we hold a 30-29 lead heading into halftime and actually control the action most of the game. It’s back and forth the entire 2nd half and Bradley hits 2 FTs with 1:39 left in the game to give us a 4 pt lead. They drill a 3 with 58 seconds left to cut the lead to 1. Goss gets a decent look at the rim with 31 seconds left but misses his jumper and we’re unable to get an offensive rebound. They have the ball with 29 seconds left when they call a timeout, down by 1. Their possession takes about 24 seconds when with 5 seconds left they knock down the same jumper that Goss just missed. For our last possession Moe gets stripped and that’s how this one ends. Davies, Goss, and Tatum all scored in double figures with 15, 12, and 10 respectively. Moe finished the game shooting 1-3 with 4 TOs and 0 assists in 22 minutes (Renosky off the bench was 3-6 with 3 assists and 1 TO in 14 minutes). This loss dropped Livingstone to 1-5 and pushed the losing streak to 5 in a row. Next up on the schedule was Nebraska, Kearney at home. They were also a 1-5 team and didn’t have much going for them. Looked like just the game we needed to break out of our slump.

Livingstone vs Nebraska, Kearney

After that last game I decided to try a new arrangement of our starting lineup as I placed Bradley at the PG position and inserted Woods into the starting lineup at SG. This is a decision I immediately regret as Woods and Goss both get into foul trouble and Bradley really struggles the entire game at the PG position. So this went from a game that looked like it would be a great slump buster into one that looked like it would pour a giant bag of salt onto the wounds. They took a 34-28 lead into the half, but it was much worse than it looked as the foul trouble against Goss and Woods meant that I was playing with a short bench for much of the 2nd. The 1st half we were able to overcome the fouls in order to keep it close, the 2nd half we weren’t so lucky as they outscored us 39-23 in the 2nd to clinch a 73-51 victory. This was probably the most disappointing loss of the entire season as this opponent wasn’t very good and came into our gym and beat us, dropping our record to 1-6. As I look back I regret making the roster change as I feel like had I just kept the same lineup from the Western St game, we would have likely pulled off the W. Goss did manage to finish with 20 and Tatum contributed 11 in the losing effort. We are looking at back-to-back road games against very solid, human coached teams. Included in this mini roadtrip is a matchup against #21 Grand Canyon, however first up is W. Virginia St.

Livingstone @ W. Virginia St.

Going into this game we were an 8 pt underdog and given our recent showing I was actually pleased it wasn’t worse than that. I decided to give Renosky one more chance as a starter because I felt like he was starting to get the hang of things and this would likely be one of his last chances to impress me before I made him a backup the rest of the season. I feel like this team is a broken record that just continues playing bad songs as this game was so similar to the last 6 games as we just were sluggish and couldn’t seem to ever put any pressure on them as they jumped out to a 42-30 halftime lead. The 2nd half wasn’t any better as they outscored me 45-35 for the 87-65 victory. Goss, Bradley, and Renosky (he did play 20 minutes this game) all fouled out and as a team we committed 28 fouls compared to their 12 (this is a major issue with a general lack of knowledge about the defense we are running). Goss finished with 20, Tatum had 13, and Moe finished with 12 off the bench. The loss dropped us to 1-7 and looking squarely at a top 25 team when we travel to Grand Canyon.

Livingstone @ #24 Grand Canyon

Every single fear I had about this game going into it seemed to ring exactly true. I decided to keep Renosky in the starting lineup for this one as I figured we didn’t stand much of a chance either way and he could use the experience for future seasons. We found ourselves only trailing 40-30 after the first half, but they were just getting started as they came out in the 2nd half and just buried us. We were able to save some dignity at the end but the final score wasn’t pretty. Livingstone left with their tails between their legs after the 88-53 loss. Goss scored 17, Tatum had 14, and Davies finished with 10. This loss drops our record to 1-8 with 2 non-conference games remaining on the schedule and both games look winnable but this team has taught me to be pessimistic.

Livingstone vs Presbyterian

Yet another game we go into as the underdogs and to be honest, after these first 9 games I can’t blame anyone for not having any faith in us. This game marked Moe’s return to the starting lineup and I also decided to slow the game down a bit to hopefully mask some of our roster deficiencies. I also hope that by slowing the game down a bit, it will help cut back on the # of fouls we commit over the course of the game. Of course Presbyterian is unfazed by any of that as they cruise out to a 31-20 halftime lead. However, for the first time since I can remember we showed actual signs of life in the 2nd half. We actually won the 2nd half 31-30 and despite losing 61-51, this is the first time in a week that I’ve actually seen the team moving in the right direction and actually look pretty good. Goss finished with 23 and Tatum tossed in 12. The loss dropped us to 1-9, but I could sense the tides turning after that 2nd half and I didn’t realize how right I was…

Livingstone vs Nyack

This is another game we go into as the underdogs but like I said, I could sense something different with this group in the 2nd half of that last game. They show me that my feelings were correct as they jump all over Nyack in the 1st half and have a 31-18 lead heading into half. As I read the play-by-play I had to do a double take since I hadn’t had a sizeable halftime lead in what feels like an eternity. We keep the pressure on in the 2nd half and outscore them 33-26 to get the win by a final score of 64-44. Goss had 23 while Davies finished with 14 and 10 boards. Moe had 5 assists to go with 2 turnovers and Renosky had 3 assists off the bench. This win pushes the season record to 2-9 and wraps up the non-conference schedule. We open the conference schedule against Winston-Salem St. who has 1 win so far on the season and looks like it could be the start of our first winning streak of the season.

Livingstone vs Winston-Salem St.
This is the first time since the 2nd game of the season that I didn’t come into the game as an underdog (the spread was even). That roll that we’ve been on over the last 3 halves just keeps right on a rolling as we finally demolish a bad team the way we should have been doing all season long. We jump on them early and cruise into half with a 38-23 lead. This is the best I’ve been feeling about this team all season, and yes I realize it’s against likely the weakest team that we’ve played all year, and they do nothing to diminish those feelings in the 2nd half. The 2nd 20 minutes is even more domination than the 1st as we outscore them 36-19 and finish with a 74-42 victory. Goss, Davies, and Bradley all finish in double figures with 17, 13, and 12 respectively. This is the balanced scoring I’ve been tweaking and playing around with the team to achieve all season. We may have a better record had I let Goss go for 35+ a game, but I think that once we played any decent teams they would shut him down and my entire team would get rolled. This way we have Bradley, Goss, Tatum, and Davies who can all go for double figures at any time. The more balanced scoring I get, the more confident I get. This win boosts us to 3-9 (1-0) on the season and we travel to play N. Carolina Central, one of the human coached teams in the conference next.

Livingstone @ N. Carolina Central

Despite the 2 game winning streak, we still find ourselves as 3 pt underdogs entering this matchup. The guys just politely told the oddsmakers to get bent as they came out of the gate with guns blazing yet again as they jumped out to a 37-26 halftime lead. Despite a better showing in the second from NCC, we still managed to put more distance between ourselves and them, outscoring them 40-33 and win 77-59. Goss led all scorers with 23 and Bradley chipped in 11. Moe is still struggling with turnovers as he had 5 this game, but as long as he is able to lock down their starters on defense and Renosky is able to come off the bench and get assists (3 assists, 0 TOs this game) and not foul out we’ll be set. We currently sit at 4-9 (2-0) as we just had one of our two off days this past evening. Next up we travel to Bowie St who currently sits at 1-11 (0-2)

Player Stats (to date)
M. Goss – 21.3 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 29.5 MPG
B. Tatum – 11.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 26.0 MPG
A. Davies – 9.1 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 28.4 MPG
R. Moe – 6.0 PPG, 1.8 RPG, 1.8 APG, 2.5 TOPG, 23.5 MPG
S. Bradley – 5.5 PPG, 2.5 APG, 1.6 TOPG, 24.2 MPG
E. Renosky – 3.1 PPG, 2.0 APG, 1.1 TOPG, 12.2 MPG
G. Woods – 2.7 PPG, 13.2 MPG
L. Calvert – 2.1 PPG, 1.1 APG, 9.6 MPG
R. Smiley – 1.8 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 16.1 MPG
G. Gross – 1.7 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 12.6 MPG
T. Dorazio – 0.7 PPG, 1.2 RPG, 10.5 MPG

Conference Standings
North
Fayetteville St. (human coach) 7-5 (2-0) RPI:50
Livingstone (ME) 4-9 (2-0) RPI: 233
Elizabeth City St (Sim AI) 4-8 (1-1) RPI: 240
Johnson C. Smith (Sim AI) 7-6 (1-2) RPI: 135
N. Carolina Central (human) 4-9 (1-2) RPI: 221
Bowie St. (Sim AI) 1-11 (0-2) RPI: 204
South
Shaw (Sim AI) 9-4 (3-0) RPI: 22
St. Augustine’s (Sim AI) 9-4 (2-1) RPI: 159
Virginia Union (human) 9-4 (2-1) RPI: 118
Virginia St. (human) 9-4 (1-2) RPI: 113
St. Paul’s (Sim AI) 6-7 (1-2) RPI: 213
Winston-Salem St. (Sim AI) 1-12 (0-3) RPI: 239

Livingstone Next 5 Games
@ Bowie St
vs Shaw
@ Elizabth City St
@ Virginia St
vs Johnson C. Smith
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Rookie

Badgerfan1533's Arena

Livingstone @ Bowie St

For the first time in about as long as I can remember we enter this game as the favorite, by 1 point. We go with the same starting lineup we have on this whole winning streak, Moe-Bradley-Goss-Tatum-Davies. We jump out to an early lead, but they keep it close for the first 12 minutes when they then take their first lead of the game 27-25. We keep it close, they push it to as many as 8 on two different occasions and lead by 6 heading into the half. We go back and forth early in the second but with 12:27 left they drill a 3 to take a 59-49 lead and this is about the time I start to get frustrated and panic that we won’t be able to claw our way back into this one. They have the last of their double digit lead at the 8:06 mark as they lead 68-58. From there they don’t score for 2 minutes and find themselves up by only 5 with 6 minutes left in the game. Over the next 2 minutes, there are lots of missed shots and turnovers by both teams, they manage to hit 1 FT but we answer that with a Gary Woods 3 to cut their lead to one. A steal by Goss who goes up court to Calvert for the layup to make it a 71-70 game with 3:55 left. Their next possession they turn the ball over again and Bradley proceeds to get fouled and drill 2 FTs to give us our first lead since the 8 minute mark of the 1st half. We push the lead to 76-71 with 1:51 left, but then they push back. They score on their next 3 possessions (which we in turn had 2 TOs and 1 missed jumper) to reclaim the lead with 23 seconds left 77-76. On our last chance possession they made the mistake of fouling one of my best FT shooters in Goss who calmly stepped to the line and drilled both FT with 18 seconds left. Their last possession went much like a lot of ours have this season, ending in a turnover and Goss ran the clock out of our 4th win in a row by a score of 78-77. Goss led all scorers with 26, Tatum, Moe, and Renosky all scored in double figures with 10 each. This win pushes our record on the season to 5-9 (3-0). Our next game is against the best team in the conference (RPI-wise) as Shaw comes to our house. We go into it as heavy underdogs, but hopefully can get a W and see a big jump in our RPI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »