Home

[EASHL] Stop blaming goalies (drop-in game, of course)

This is a discussion on [EASHL] Stop blaming goalies (drop-in game, of course) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
[EASHL] Stop blaming goalies (drop-in game, of course)

When I have to handle 12 breakaways and end up saving 5 of them, and many of these breakaways are 2 on 0 and 3 on 0, you can't blame me for letting in 7 goals in a game.

Play some god damn defense.

Can't stand people yelling at the goalie for being "bad" when stuff like this happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: [EASHL] Stop blaming goalies (drop-in game, of course)

I hear ya. I play defense for the most part and I can't stand getting yelled at that we suck when there are no backcheckers. When guys are figure skating it can be hard to stay between them and the puck, however, backcheckers solve that issue.

The forwards are usually too busy at the red line banging their sticks while I try to clear the crease.

I feel your pain.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

The only time I blame the goalie is if you let a shot from the wings/deep blue line/icing line go in.

This means you were not playing your position properly.

But yeah, goalies get way too much heat. Most goals that are scored at a result of the defense and centers not staying back when the opponent has the puck.

Last edited by takki; 11-04-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

OVR: 5

It comes with the territory. You're only the hero if you get a shutout, otherwise you're the goat, even if your team is constantly hanging you out to dry. Sometimes you get good teammates who understand the trials of being a tendy, but you have to make the impression out of the gate that you are competent in net before they start giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Personally -- as someone who more than knows his way around the crease in EA NHL given that I've been playing Goalie Mode since it was introduced in NHL 08 -- hearing people tell me I suck (especially now that I have a mic) only fits to fuel my fire for excellence, and allows me to utter a satisfying "you're welcome" after I make a fantastic save to cover their inability to play proper defense.

WX

Last edited by Weapon X; 11-04-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Rookie

synjin's Arena

OVR: 1

Yeah I can feel that pain... I usually play as a DFD and oftentimes I'm the only one back with the G vs. 2 or 3 man breakaway.

The only thing about goalies that will get me pissed is when they try to pass in the middle of a scrum of players instead of just covering up and taking the FO. Conversely when the G is CPU, it drives me up a wall when the winger comes in and beavertails his stick even though 3 opposing forwards are camped on top of the goalie.

Easiest thing to do is turn down your sound and turn up the music, then you don't have to listen to the whining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Rookie

Reiny09's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X
It comes with the territory. You're only the hero if you get a shutout, otherwise you're the goat, even if your team is constantly hanging you out to dry. Sometimes you get good teammates who understand the trials of being a tendy, but you have to make the impression out of the gate that you are competent in net before they start giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Personally -- as someone who more than knows his way around the crease in EA NHL given that I've been playing Goalie Mode since it was introduced in NHL 08 -- hearing people tell me I suck (especially now that I have a mic) only fits to fuel my fire for excellence, and allows me to utter a satisfying "you're welcome" after I make a fantastic save to cover their inability to play proper defense.

WX
Hope you're not talking about us haha
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiny09
Hope you're not talking about us haha
Haha, absolutely not Reiny. You know my rants always stem from the idiots in drop-ins. I wouldn't still be the Brig's tendy if you guys were like that, the vibe is so far from that its ridiculous and probably what makes me baffled by the "learn to play" responses I get in drop-ins.

WX
Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Rookie

dplpbbp's Arena

OVR: 0

Amen...I'm admittedly new to the position but someone has to mind the net, right? And I can admit I've let in a few soft goals too, but I stick with it and work to get better. That said, I can't feel too bad when one opposing player has the puck for 30+ seconds, dancing outside the blue line, back to center, into the zone and curls around until he's gone past/through all five of my teammates and scores a crappy short side goal that I was in decent position for. Oh, did I mention it was in overtime? I was so stunned I had to replay the video twice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »