Home

AHL and Free Agency

This is a discussion on AHL and Free Agency within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Rookie

wickedflyer's Arena

OVR: 0
AHL and Free Agency

Maybe I'm not understanding something here or may have missed something, but today I noticed that a defensemen of mine who is actually on my AHL affiliate roster is also available in the Free Agency pool. This same player is not available to call up if I need him for my NHL team. I started looking into this some more and noticed that there are a lot of AHL players in the Free Agency screen that are currently still playing games in the AHL. Is there some kind of a separate contract for these players that I'm not understanding or is this a flaw in the Be A GM mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: AHL and Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedflyer
Maybe I'm not understanding something here or may have missed something, but today I noticed that a defensemen of mine who is actually on my AHL affiliate roster is also available in the Free Agency pool. This same player is not available to call up if I need him for my NHL team. I started looking into this some more and noticed that there are a lot of AHL players in the Free Agency screen that are currently still playing games in the AHL. Is there some kind of a separate contract for these players that I'm not understanding or is this a flaw in the Be A GM mode?
These guys are free agents playing on AHL teams, which is to say these guys are only under contract with the AHL team and not the parent NHL club. It works similarly in real life too. They're free agents from an NHL perspective since they are not contracted to any NHL team.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Rookie

wickedflyer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
These guys are free agents playing on AHL teams, which is to say these guys are only under contract with the AHL team and not the parent NHL club. It works similarly in real life too. They're free agents from an NHL perspective since they are not contracted to any NHL team.
Thanks Mercalnd. After I read your reply it made total sense to me. I've been watching hockey for years and I guess I've always just been under the impression that anyone on the AHL affiliate was available for call up at any time. When in reality only players actually in the system of the NHL team are because they are under contract with the NHL team and just playing down in the AHL. But there are a lot of players who are only playing under an AHL contract and can't actually play in the NHL unless they were signed to an NHL contract. Thanks again for clearing that up!!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Also keep in mind that if you like someone on your AHL team and you wish to keep them in the future make sure that you have signed them. It happened to me earlier this week where I had a 20 year old 68 ovr with a 4 1/2 potential, i thought i had him signed however i didnt as the NHL club and Calgary jacked him from me.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Rookie

wickedflyer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterAcclaim
Also keep in mind that if you like someone on your AHL team and you wish to keep them in the future make sure that you have signed them. It happened to me earlier this week where I had a 20 year old 68 ovr with a 4 1/2 potential, i thought i had him signed however i didnt as the NHL club and Calgary jacked him from me.
Yeah I hear you. It's crazy to think of all the variables any given AHL team will encounter during a season. Players getting called up and down and all of a sudden a top player just gone due to signing an NHL contract or something. Players having to keep relearning how to play together with different people constantly coming and going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Rookie

smlmeyer's Arena

OVR: 9

This answers a question of mine as well. I had a defenseman in the AHL who wasn't even in my system and he lead the AHL in points. I was like, "I NEED TO CALL THIS GUY UP!" and couldn't figure out what in the world was going on! AHHH thanks so much. Haha
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlmeyer
This answers a question of mine as well. I had a defenseman in the AHL who wasn't even in my system and he lead the AHL in points. I was like, "I NEED TO CALL THIS GUY UP!" and couldn't figure out what in the world was going on! AHHH thanks so much. Haha
Glad I found this.. I was wondering where my top AHL scorer was because I wanted to call him up, turns out he was in FA and I thought there was some glitch!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »