Home

Roster Stats Explained(What They Do/Mean)

This is a discussion on Roster Stats Explained(What They Do/Mean) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Roster Stats Explained(What They Do/Mean)

Now this isnt my list that I made I just thought I should share it with u guys and see if you guys agree with it and it helps out!!!!!

Credit goes to a user named ASTRO_JAX on a different forum!!!

SPEED - the maximum straight line speed of the player
AGILITY - how speed is sustained through changing direction (low agility, speed reduces more when changing direction)
ACCELERATION - the rate at which a player reaches maximum speed
PHYSICAL GRADE - average of speed, agility and acceleration for the position group

INTANGIBLE - increases the chance of lucky plays such as catching a batted ball

AWARENESS - effects the outcome of all user acted abilities (e.g. strip ball ability increased, leading the passer in a direction, increased vibration due to pass rush pressure) also increases the reaction time of the player to the play
PLAY RECOGNITION - the ability to recognise if its a pass or a run and direction of the run and the reaction to screen plays

PASS BLOCKING - reduces chance of a successful power/finesse move
RUN BLOCKING - slightly increases the reactiveness of the blocking AI to changes in direction of the runner
STRENGTH - increases chance of pancake (Oline), increases chance of power move (Dline) increases chance of truck, stiff arm, and increases rate of fall forward (ball carrier)

CATCHING - the ability of a player to catch the ball (affected by multipliers)
CATCH IN TRAFFIC- multiplier effect on default catch rating when caught in contact (e.g. catch 85, catch in traffic 60 - player will catch in open at ease, but will have negative effect when catching in traffic 60 will decrease the original 85; catch 85, catch in traffic 99 - player will catch in open at ease, and when in traffic will sustain this 85 catching almost 100% of the time)
SPECTACULAR CATCH - multiplier effect on default catch rating when caught near sidelines. Also increases chance of one handed or diving catch animation. (e.g. catching 85 with spectacular catch 60 - player will catch the ball at ease, but won't have a high chance at getting feet down; catch 85 with spectacular 99 - player will get feet down consistently and sustain catching 85 ability.
It is important to remember catching is still the main stat, as with catching 1 and spectacular 99, player will drop the ball consistently, even if his feet are down in bounds.
ROUTE RUNNING - increases the rate of cuts and creates more separation from defender.
RELEASE - increases the chance of beating the press coverage for a receiver

INJURY - effects the rate of inury
TOUGHNESS - effects the return rate of injury
STAMINA - reduces fatigue

BLOCK SHEDDING - increases the ability for the player to disengage a block and move sideways or backwards away from the block, but won't effect ability to push past a block downwards
POWER MOVES - increases chance of player shedding the block downwards, also increases success rate of power moves when activated with right stick
FINESSE MOVES - increases chance of player shedding the block downwards, also increases success rate of finesse moves when activated with right stick
PURSUIT - increases reaction to change of direction of offensive player, and increases speed in vicinity of tackle

TACKLE - increases success rate of tackle
HIT POWER - increases chance of injury during tackle, also increases chance of fumble when hit stick activated

BALL CARRIER VISION - decreases rate of engaging in own team blocks, and increases "slipperyness" when moving in between tight hole without hitting your own blocker and falling over, also early results of an increase in the run blocking AI of offensive linemen.
TRUCKING - increases chance of falling forward and breaking tackles using truck stick activation
STIFF ARM - increases chance of falling foward and breaking tackle using stiff arm activation
JUKE MOVE - increases distance of duke, and chance of defender being "shaken" and stuttering their feet
SPIN MOVE - increases spin activation and chance of defender being "shaken"
ELUSIVENESS - decreases chance of tackle being successful
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Roster Stats Explained(What They Do/Mean)

Nice, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm really interested in finding out what all these stats mean, but I'm a bit skeptical of the definitions above. Any official definitions I've seen are very vague so whats the source on these and how were they determined?

For example I'm pretty sure the Intangible rating is not the chance of a lucky play. Instead it's similar to the Physical rating but for non-physical ratings - primarily Awareness. For most players their Intangible rating is very close to the same as their Awareness. I would guess that non-physical traits (like consistency) also play a role in Intangible.

Also I'm pretty sure the ratings like Intangible, Physical, Size, Durability and Production have no actual impact on how a player plays. Instead they are just an overview of a group of attributes to help identify a players strengths/weaknesses without having to give into dozens of attributes.

Another from above that I'm very sure is wrong is Strength in terms of it's influence on pancakes. What I noticed while doing some testing on Block Shedding is that even with high Strength and high Run Blocking an o-lineman with low impact blocking got far fewer pancakes than one with lower Strength and Run Blocking but higher impact blocking.

Anyways I'm just trying to provide some constructive criticism of these definitions as I'm highly interested in what these attributes actually do.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree with purplerat, I'm skeptical of some of the definitions as well.

Like he pointed out, Intangible is one that I'm 90% certain has no in game effect but is rather a summary of non-physical attributes. I also don't believe spectacular catch has anything to do with sideline catches, nor do I think awareness effects "user-acted" abilities (come on, we've all seen a guy with low awareness play like a superstar when being user-controlled).

There are some other ones I could point out, but overall I don't think this is a reliable summary.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

http://madden12.hubpages.com/hub/An-...adden-Football

Attributes and Ratings in Madden Football
These are definitions of Madden attributes, actual implementation is based on the internal programming.
(OVR) Overall - The overall rating of a player depending on key attributes for his position
(SPD) Speed - The top speed a player can run
(ACC) Acceleration - How fast a player reaches top speed
(STR) Strength - The player's strength,
(AGI) Agility - How fast a player can switch directions and how much space it takes to do so
(AWR) Awareness - A player's ability to react and adjust
(CTH) Catching - How well the player can catch
(CAR) Carrying - How well the player holds onto the football. A higher rating means the less chance of a fumble.
(THP) Throw Power - How far a player can throw the ball and how fast a thrown ball gets to its target
(THA) Throw Accuracy - How accurate a player throws, replaced by new attributes of short, medium and deep
THA (Short) - How accurate a player throws short passes
THA (Mid) How accurate a player throws medium passes
THA (Deep) - How accurate a player throws deep passes
(PAC) Play Action - Determines the play action effectiveness for the QB position
(RUN) Throw on the run - Accuracy when throwing on the run, rolling out or when feet are not set
(KPW) Kick Power - A kicker's power
(KAC) Kick Accuracy - A kicker's accuracy
(RBK) Run Block - How well a player run blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(PBK) Pass Block - How well a player pass blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(TAK) Tackle - A player's ability to tackle.
(JMP) Jumping - The player's ability to jump and how high
(RET) Return - Skill of the player as a punt or kick returner
(INJ) Injury - The likelihood of an injury
(STA) Stamina - The player's stamina level and how soon he will tire
(TGH) Toughness - A players ability to recover from injuries and the severity of injuries
(TRK) Trucking - Player's ability to run over a defender attempting a tackle
(ELU) Elusiveness - Likely the ability to escape tackles (or perhaps sacks)
(BCV) Ball Carrier Vision - Ability to spot the open field
(SFA) Stiff Arm - Players ability to stiff arm
(SPM) Spin Move - Players ability to spin
(JKM) Juke Move - Players ability with the juke move
(IBK) Impact Blocking - Blockers ability to make a leveling block in the open field
(RBK-STR) Run block strength - how well a player can succeed in locking up a defender while run blocking
(RBK-FT) Run block footwork - how well a player can succeed in pushing a defender while run blocking. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap.
(PBK-STR) Pass block strength - how well a player performs when the defender is performing power moves against him
(PBK-FT) Pass block footwork - how well a player performs when the defender is performing finesse moves against him. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap
(POW) Hit Power - The strength of the players hit, which can determine the success of a tackle or the possibility of a fumble, and ability to wear out or injure a player being hit
(PMV) Power Moves - The ability to bull rush, chuck and/or overpower a block
(FIN) Finesse Moves - The ability to perform swim moves and spins moves against a block
(BKS) Block Shedding - How well the player can shed a block.
(PUR) Pursuit - Skill in finding and pursuing the ball carrier and ability to take a direct line of pursuit on a quarterback or ball carrier
(PRC) Play Recognition - The ability to recognize plays
(MAN) Man Coverage - Man coverage skills
(ZONE) Zone Coverage - Zone coverage skills
(SPCTH) Spectacular Catch - Abilty to make spectacular catches such as one handed catches
(CIT) Catch in Traffic - Ability to catch when in coverage or surrounded by defenders
(RTE) Route Running Rating - ability to execute routes and cuts and the speed to execute routes and cuts
(PRESS) Press Rating - ability to maintain a press coverage around the line of scrimmage
(RELEASE) Release Rating - Ability to get around or beat press coverage
(SWG) Old Spice Swagger - The chance that a player will celebrate in the endzone

There you go, this was for M12 but still applies for the most part. The INT, PHY, etc, are GRADES, not ATR, they are a grade several attributes reflecting the player's ability in that category. They are also not ATR 1 ATR 2 and ATR 3, they vary based on position.

EA, has (and probably never will) not given an overly descriptive assessment of what attributes do. Anything more than the basics above, while not wrong (necesssarily) are only a guess by a user and should be taken as such. This particular user has definitely missed the mark on a few of their "descriptions".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
Rookie

RAVENOUS's Arena

Right now I'm doing testing to see what attributes do. I used Xanathol's roster editor to set every player and coach to 50 at every attribute. Then I pick exactly one play each for an offensive and defensive gameplan, and let the CPU play each other with that one play over and over while I do something else. Then I'll go back and up one attribute at a time to 99 to see how they affect gameplay. So far I've been starting with the coaching attributes for HC and OC.

Im still playing Madden 12 mind you. But I figured with the editor it was easy to see exactly what kind of impact the ratings have on the game (ie each point of awareness on your O line adds 0.05 YPC or something).

Last edited by RAVENOUS; 10-25-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

you got the intangible part wrong.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENOUS
Right now I'm doing testing to see what attributes do. I used Xanathol's roster editor to set every player and coach to 50 at every attribute. Then I pick exactly one play each for an offensive and defensive gameplan, and let the CPU play each other with that one play over and over while I do something else. Then I'll go back and up one attribute at a time to 99 to see how they affect gameplay. So far I've been starting with the coaching attributes for HC and OC.

Im still playing Madden 12 mind you. But I figured with the editor it was easy to see exactly what kind of impact the ratings have on the game (ie each point of awareness on your O line adds 0.05 YPC or something).
Very much looking forward to that data, if you publish it. Growing quite tired of not knowing how important particular attributes may or may not be

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »