Home

Hockey noob, need tips offensively

This is a discussion on Hockey noob, need tips offensively within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Hockey noob, need tips offensively

So I just got the game last week in the 2 for 75 bucks deal at Toys R Us. I enjoy the game a lot defensively especially, most of my games have been fairly close because my defense is solid, I've just made some stupid mistakes not freezing the puck. However, I can't score for crap. I get a decent amount of shots in but nothing ever comes out of them. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Rookie

Keytosa's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Hockey noob, need tips offensively

Take a variety of shots to make it difficult on your opponent to know what you're going to do. Shoot both high and low from both the slot and the point. Shooting low means the puck will bounce off the goalies pads, and hopefully you'll have a player in good position for an easy tap-in goal off the rebound. Also, don't just take a bunch of shots on the rush. Pass the puck around in the offensive zone and look for an open player for a good shot. Good luck
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Shots from the point are working well for me this year. It's not a great success level, but if you have some offensive defensemen on your team (guys with great slap shots), I hammer away from the point and look for deflection goals or a seeing eye slapshot goal.

Another thing I try to do is control the O Zone, and look to get my forwards into some open space in the slot. A wrist shot from the slot is a great way to score.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1

What mode are you playing in? Online or offline? What difficulty? Either way, it may sound obvious, but try to take most of your shots from high scoring areas.

...though admittedly, the short side shots (meaning a shot aimed inside the post nearest to you) in the 5% area can work in this game as well.

Shots where the goalie is screened are key. While skating up into your zone, it is sometimes even worth it to intentionally try to get a defender in between you and the goalie before trying to snipe (if given the opportunity). Try to develop on eye for catching the goalie moving or cheating over to one side and shoot aiming in the other direction. Similarly, slapshots from the point where there is traffic and the goalie is screened have been effective for me...especially after winning a faceoff in the offensive zone, and aiming a slapper to the far side.

A few more things - it may be considered cheese by some, but on a breakaway, I find a fake shot, then a backhand to forehand deke to be the most effective, reliable move. Lastly, goalies have been given greater ability to get over to prevent cross crease passes, so you may want to learn how to shoot low and go 5 hole (between the goalies legs) as he slides over to block your shot after receiving a cross crease pass. Just hit Down on the L stick (if your view is Always Up) the instant right before shooting to keep the puck low.

If all else fails, rebounds are the reason for lots of goals in this game...so much so that I've played against guys who just toss low garbage at the net the entire game from anywhere and hope for a few rebounds. You can try this, and choose Crash the Net as your offensive strategy to get your guys crashing in for rebounds.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

I play online versus. Yeah, I play a lot of the dump and chase style and it usually helps me to get possession. Shot accuracy seems to be the issue when I catch the goalie cheating lol but I know that's a part of the game with such a small target. There are a lot of rebounds as well so I'll more than likely set to the Crash the Net style as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »