Home

Why draft players with low physical rating at all?

This is a discussion on Why draft players with low physical rating at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Why draft players with low physical rating at all?

Hey guys

Putting it out there for CCM

Why draft players with low physical ratings when its impossible to XP upgrade them (or rather near impossible for nitpickers) when intangible skills are so much easier to upgrade ??

Do you guys find drafting guys with High intangibles and low physical to be worth while, because just looking at the XP system it seems to be a major drawback for those guys to become better players?

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Why draft players with low physical rating at all?

If you think about it, the real draft works in a very similar way. Players with outstanding physical attributes get every opportunity and are frequently over-drafted regardless of their ability to actually play.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

The longer I've played this game the more I agree. You can't teach a player how to be 6'4 260 and run a 4.45, but you can teach him how to beat the left tackle off the edge or drop into coverage.

I tend to take the Al Davis approach now: speed. I've been looking for prototypical players now with high physical ratings.

Bruce Irvin is a prime example. Skill-wise he is average and less than average at best, but his athleticism in unmatched. A few seasons with him and he is easily the best pure pass rusher in Madden. Hands down.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I get a players size is fixed and his 40yd dash. we know Al davis loved his speed guys but I dont believe that guys cant increase strenght or game speed as easily as they can improve in catching or run block.
You want to make strenght and speed harder to buy ,thats alright but 50k when others are 5k is a bit ridiculous. I dont think a persons physical skills are that cemented in life.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've been on the athlete boat since franchises were in madden. Realistically, no progress system allows no cheap athletic progression system. In a few maddens a guy might gain 1 SPD in a whole career and maybe 3 or 4 STR. in m13 tho STR for LBs is relatively cheap for a little bit.

I like the less athletic more skilled for backups or have a really good team that can't wait to develop a player. While they're a little slow and weak they can at least not be a liability.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnada
You want to make strenght and speed harder to buy ,thats alright but 50k when others are 5k is a bit ridiculous. I dont think a persons physical skills are that cemented in life.
Such attributes are difficult to improve, though. There are ways to increase them but there is a reason why teams do try to draft the physical type you want up front in real life. A lot of the physical work a player does is, imo, trying to maintain more than improve aside from areas like conditioning and injury prevention.

Could a guy like Ladarius Webb become as strong as a guy like Ray Lewis? Could Santonio Holmes become as strong as Megatron? Maybe, but it would take a long time, and probably wouldn't be worth it in the end.

The point total might be too big - no idea on that and no idea how fast you get XP per game/practice, etc, but it should be quite difficult and require dedication - and present a serious decision as to whether or not it's worth undertaking.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnada
I get a players size is fixed and his 40yd dash. we know Al davis loved his speed guys but I dont believe that guys cant increase strenght or game speed as easily as they can improve in catching or run block.
How often do players get faster in the NFL? It's possible and it's possible in the this game, bit it's going to take hard work and in Madden, consider those hefty points the hard work.

As for strength, it's not nearly as expensive unless it's at the upper echelon. I took Bruce Irvin from 78 STR to 86 STR which is reasonable considering IRL he isn't ever going to be a 90-99 STR kind of guy.

As for some things being cheap you should look at it like this; how hard would it be IRL to improve your 40-yd time at the NFL from a 4.6 to a 4.5? Incredibly difficult, but things like route running, release off the line, catching ability and the like are things almost every player will improve upon by simply practicing and playing on Sunday. It's more realistic to see a guy go from running an ok route to a crisp route than it would be to see a guy at the NFL level improve his speed enough to take .10 off his 40-time.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

Can someone explain to me the physical rating? I have an idea but feel I'm missing it's purpose.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »