Home

Does awareness do anything for O-line

This is a discussion on Does awareness do anything for O-line within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Rookie

Jsan915's Arena

OVR: 3
Does awareness do anything for O-line

Does it do anything for the O-line. I think it will help with who they have to block when they run down the field. But most of the time they are at the line of scrimmage so they will just block the person that is in front of them or to the left or right. While my TE,FB, or WR block for me the down the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Rookie

Juce734's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Does awareness do anything for O-line

I think it has to do with picking up the blitz. At least that is what I always assumed.

Currently playing NCAA 2014
PSN: Juce734 website http://www.rpgjuce.com/
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

no, because the blocking system is not sound enough to be able to express attributes yet. it needs to be totally redone. and this is the number 1 problem with gameplay in this game. so start shouting it out
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Some people swear by it, but no, it doesn't matter.

In pass blocking, the line knows the defensive play. It knows who is and who isn't blitzing. The only way to confuse it is to blitz with someone who wasn't supposed to. For example, call Trio Sky Zone:

tell the Sam to drop into a hook zone and user blitz. You will get MUCH different blocking/results than if you just ran the play normally.

You can also create pressure with overloads. Call that same play and crash the line right. By doing that, you tell the NT to crash right, which causes him to be blocked by the guard and not the center. Instead, the center blocked the Mike. That also means the LE is blocked by the RT, and the LG tends to block the RE. That gives the Sam a free release, unless the HB or TE are kept in to block. Awareness has nothing to do with it. That is simply how the game is programmed. Now, it is possible that awareness has to do with the running game and how well a pulling guard plays, but I tend to play with custom sliders, and even with only 5 run blocking for the user, they still do a decent job no matter what team I use.

What's important are the Pass/Run Blocking Strength/Footwork ratings. I don't even really believe in the impact block rating. Impact block is supposed to help determine if the lineman pancakes the defender, but i just don't see it happen even with guys who have 99 impact block.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Butt Naked
no, because the blocking system is not sound enough to be able to express attributes yet. it needs to be totally redone. and this is the number 1 problem with gameplay in this game. so start shouting it out
That's not completely true. While awareness really doesn't seem to play a role, I'm pretty sure Run and Pass Block ratings do. I've had several situations where a player with higher Pass Block held a block noticably longer than a replacement with lower ratings in the same spot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Some people swear by it, but no, it doesn't matter.

In pass blocking, the line knows the defensive play. It knows who is and who isn't blitzing. The only way to confuse it is to blitz with someone who wasn't supposed to. For example, call Trio Sky Zone:

tell the Sam to drop into a hook zone and user blitz. You will get MUCH different blocking/results than if you just ran the play normally.

You can also create pressure with overloads. Call that same play and crash the line right. By doing that, you tell the NT to crash right, which causes him to be blocked by the guard and not the center. Instead, the center blocked the Mike. That also means the LE is blocked by the RT, and the LG tends to block the RE. That gives the Sam a free release, unless the HB or TE are kept in to block. Awareness has nothing to do with it. That is simply how the game is programmed. Now, it is possible that awareness has to do with the running game and how well a pulling guard plays, but I tend to play with custom sliders, and even with only 5 run blocking for the user, they still do a decent job no matter what team I use.

What's important are the Pass/Run Blocking Strength/Footwork ratings. I don't even really believe in the impact block rating. Impact block is supposed to help determine if the lineman pancakes the defender, but i just don't see it happen even with guys who have 99 impact block.
in madden 13, they removed the footwork ratings. Now it is simply Pass Block and Run Block.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
in madden 13, they removed the footwork ratings. Now it is simply Pass Block and Run Block.
It's not fully removed, only in CCM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by the veteran
It's not fully removed, only in CCM.
Yeah but somewhere the lead director said they don't work

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »