Home

Getting frustrated because I'm not good.

This is a discussion on Getting frustrated because I'm not good. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Rookie

BennyLeo's Arena

OVR: 1
Getting frustrated because I'm not good.

I play this game every day, several times a day. Many of my friends recommend that I play on Legendary (5/5 difficulty). I am pretty good at Semi-Pro (2/5). So I began to kick it up to Legendary. I didn't start out so bad, but I've been getting worse the more I play. I do pretty good with the Skill Games, but it doesn't translate to the game. I'm awful at pretty much everything. A few major points.

The defense is inhumane to play against, first of all. They're breathing down my neck and they pressure me into bad passes. I don't have time to process the information before the ball's going the other way.

Off the ball, play moves way too fast for me. I'm awful at switching players. I can never get to the right one before the ball's across the pitch. Plus, every tackle is easily sidestepped. Insulting.

Finally, the big one. Even if I can get into my offensive third, I can never get a shot off, much less score. By the 30th minute the other team has 8, 9, 10 shots and two goals minimum. I'm lucky if I have one shot. (I haven't scored a goal against a Legendary team yet.)

I want to be able to play against my friends, but I have to be doing something wrong. How can I get better? Skill games and repetition don't work. (Online, I have one win, two draws, and 19 losses playing as Barcelona.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Getting frustrated because I'm not good.

I definetly feel where your coming from. About off ball, try going to controller setting and putting the auto switch thing to air balls and frequency to high(it's default to low I believe). I was having a ton of problems with losing every single header and this has done wonders for my defending and crossing. On defense, try only containing. Don't rush in and try to take the ball away, wait on them to make a mistake. Also, what slider setting are you using, this makes a HUGE diference. I switched to Orion slider settings because I was going insane with defaults and it really has made the game enjoyable. More than anything though, be patient. I went like 2-2-6 on my first 10 games on legendary. Learn from your mistakes.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 6

I'm in the same boat. the defense this year really is difficult. I can't even get into the box most of the times.

Last year was my first FIFA game and I worked my way up from Amateur to Legendary settings in like 3 mo time.

This year I don't think I can do that. I started on PRO, but got my butt whipped. So I am now back to Semi-Pro with some slider settings and getting good games and some fair shots at scoring.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Don't rush into Legendary. Take your time and slowly move up. Adjust sliders if you need to. Eventually you'll get to Legendary and believe me, the defense is not great and I'm sure you'll realize that. Still a fun game though.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

defending- this is very helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Sw_...eature=related

attacking- he recorded it with fifa 12, but it applies to 13, just account for first touch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKORO...feature=relmfu
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Rookie

T.O.'s Arena

OVR: 5

Use 1-2/double passes a lot. When you want to do it, hold LB/L1 and pass to a player nearby. The player who just passed the ball will make a run forward, pass the ball in front of him. It gives speed to your attacks and eliminates 1 or 2 defenders. I like to do it in a 4-3-3 where I pass it with my wingers to my striker and back just about when he's on the offside line. 8/10 times he breaks clean through. Then I either choose for a cross or I use a skill move like a Ronaldo chop to gain my way into the box and score with a controlled shot in the far corner or I lay it off. Really depends on the situation but if you have players for a 4-3-3, or a 4-2-2-2 could also work, give it a try.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

^ This.

Pass, pass, and pass. Just keep moving the ball around, you will find space. If one player holds onto the ball too long you will get smothered. I use the 1-2 pass (Give & Go) constantly to try and create space.

Last edited by ~LiverpoolRed~; 10-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Rookie

T.O.'s Arena

OVR: 5

Also don't forget to tweak your tactics! I put my speed between 30 and 40 and passing between 35 and 50. When I don't find an opening for a dribble or a pass, I just use precision dribbling. Imo the best addition of last year. After three short touches (you can count them!), players will start to alter their positions to make it easier for you to pass the ball. Try the return pass in a situation like that and see what happens. You can really catch a defense off guard like this.

Also, depending on the level of your players, you can create chances by risky passes. But it requires a lot of trial and error and you really need to know the speed of the player who tries to get open AND the passing capacities of your playmakers (long, medium and short accuracy). This has worked for me in the past but I tend to stick to posession of the ball with safer passes. Mostly around 45. Then crosses and shooting depend purely on your strikers and midfielders. And also your playing style. Someone whose offense revolves around a strong target man shouldn't play with Barcelona for example.

In career mode I do the same. I sell players that don't fit in my plans and buy the ones that will (hopefully). This doesn't mean to sell a 19 y/o lvl 83 striker who doesn't fit in your plans of course! Develop your own style, keep on tweaking those tactics until you got it just right. And you have to tweak them (minimally after a while) everytime you play with a different team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »