Home

Getting spanked on World Class dominating on Pro - any tips?

This is a discussion on Getting spanked on World Class dominating on Pro - any tips? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Getting spanked on World Class dominating on Pro - any tips?

As the title says, my skill level seems to be between Pro and World Class. The only problem is that on Pro it's way too easy. I'm currently playing with a 3.5 star team and I beat a 4.5 star team 6-0, I then go on World Class and that same time I beat 6-0, I lose 6-0. It doesn't make any sense.

I've already looked at the sliders people have created which I do appreciate and have tweaked them a bit. Unfortuantely it hasn't done much. I really wish they offered more variety in their sliders. It really pisses me off when the CPU defense swarms 2+ guys onto me (which is perfectly fine) while my AI defense just stand there until I control them. They are literally ********. I don't understand how on one side they actually play solid defense and the other (mine) they stand there like a 90 year old man.

The other thing that is aggravating is the fact that the CPU controls the ball so damn well. I don't mean first touch you can adjust that, I mean generally speaking. They dribble around me way too easily. I know on defense it's better to give them room and then put pressure just around the box but still.

I heard that Legendary plays fairly well. Is this because that your team AI is much smarter and actually plays defense? I've read in a few places that this could be the case but not quite sure. If my team AI is still as horrible there's no way I'm ever making that transition to Legendary but if my AI is more intelligent then I can compensate with the CPU's sliders to make it fair.

One more thing, I seem to have trouble scoring. On Pro the majority of my goals come very similar. Either on a breakaway where the last second I pass to a teammate to my right or left for an easy goal or I'll hold down RT and LT (Xbox 360) just outside the box, when I see an opening, let go LT and keep holding down RT and take a powerful shot a few yards or just at the box and they almost always go in. Seldomly do I score off corners and or free kicks and or crosses inside. I'd say at least 85% of my goals come from what I said above and not the latter.

Any advice and or comments would be appreciate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Getting spanked on World Class dominating on Pro - any tips?

I was exactly like you until two days ago. Getting totally frustrated with the CPU's ridiculous dribbling and ball retention.

Then I watched a youtube video made by this German guy (can't remember the name), who basically goes at great length describing how to use Tactical defending in FIFA. And bingo, now I can play 3-4 consecutive games without conceding on World Class. Mind you, scoring is also a challenge on that level!

The essence of this tutorial is to always remember two things:

1) Constantly switch players, so that the player you are controlling is the closest to the CPU ball carrier at all times. That is very important because your team maintains shape and your AI-controlled defenders will close gaps as soon as you “release” them from being controlled. So basically contain at all times. To begin with, it will feel strange because you will just contain which will look (and feel) like very passive defending. However, after a while you will notice how changing constantly defenders and containing the ball carrier will negate the CPU from penetrating. He (the CPU) will still do its dangles and dribbles, but would be far less effective and sooner or later they will give up possession. Also, use “teammate” pressure in combination, but only in areas where it’s not dangerous for the CPU to do some trick and blow by both players resulting in a one-on-one with your keeper.

2) Only use the tackle button (circle on the PS3) in extreme situations. His advice was not to use it at all, but I do find some use for it outside the area.

I tried these tactics and already in my first game on World Class I was able to keep a clean sheet. I did not score either, but at least I felt like I had earned the draw with some good defending. I don’t know, may be it’s the way the AI is programmed in this game, but if you take your player out of position, the CPU will burn you immediately, but if you hold position and just contain through frequent player switching, it feels like the CPU just goes into a tilt and forgets how to penetrate. I guess you can call it a glitch, but at least it allows you to play on World Class.

Let me know if that helps (and look up that youtube video I mentioned).
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm kind of in the same boat right now but i'm sandwiched between WC and Legendary. I can't seem to find a balance of sliders to make it difficult enough and a lot of the time, when i think i'm making it more difficult, it just seems easier. Looks like i'll be making the jump to legendary again (i've played it in past versions, 3-4 years ago and it was an EA-style cheatfest) and hoping i can retain my sanity. Good luck to you though, it's SUPER rewarding when you jump up a difficulty and start winning so hopefully you give it a shot and stick it out.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Rookie

JamieMUFC1990's Arena

OVR: 2

Play possession football if a opponents player is coming anywhere near you pass even if you have to pass backwards just pass and keep the ball as long as you can eventually you will see the openings to get up the pitch you just have to be patience and not rush or try to force things to happen.

Also if you don't have it on auto switching then try that because it will get you used to which players you need to switch to in different situations.

Try my latest sliders that I updated today because I think I have stopped most of cpu's overpowered playing while still keeping it challenging.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Rookie

Iaxy I just did a quick youtube search, is this the name of the video you're referring to, "ifa 13 | Defending Tutorial | How to defend in Fifa 13 | IN-DEPTH | by PatrickHDxGaming?" I'm assuming it is so I'll give it a watch. I'll comment on after I watch but as I play currently I don't really switch players a lot, whichever player is closest to the ball I'll switch to and I'll basically contain. I won't hold down the contain button but I'll back off and if they go somewhere else I'll switch players and do the same thing. It still doesn't really work but like I said I'll watch this video and see what he's talking about thanks for the recommendation.

Jamie, I try to play possession ball. The problem is I only have my game length at 8 minutes as I want to play more games and not less even though it's a tad bit less realistic that way. This means I have to try to do something with the ball a bit quicker but that doesn't mean I just try to go inside the box and immediately score.

I have auto switching on and I have a good feel for when I should switch to certain players. I also am using an adjusted form of your sliders but still doesn't help much. The opposition tends to score quite easily if they're a decent team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Just played an 16 minute game on World Class with adjusted sliders. I was Venezuela against Columbia, being away, and lost 1-5. I tried to implement what the German dude taught in his video but it's a bit different. I can see the advantages it gives you I was stealing more balls by being in the proper position but did have a few questions about it.

Are you supposed to be holding down contain and teammate contain all the time? Or only teammate contain and you jockey where you think he's going to pass? Kind of confused on this as he doesn't explain it to well other than saying keep tapping contain while holding down teammate contain. I really wish that the old style of play, where you could call a defender to attack the ball carrier was still in it. I guess teammate contain is similar but not as good.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Is there the same issue as there seemed to be last year and in Madden where when you switch to a defender running step by step with an offensive player he slows down and gets beat?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

to the op, i think it is fundemental problems you are having with the game. Kinda like the post with tactical defending, you should be trying to control the area by forcing the ball to go where you have help. I dont use the contain button much only around the box when my defenders are playing off the ball too much.

example is the sideline. use it as a defender. dont control the fullback let him contain the play naturally, instead you play the wide midfielder or winger and take away the passing lane. once the passing lane is contained by you, then move in to pressure.

make him play the ball where you want him to play it. it is not full proof but make sure the cpu has to play flawless to beat you. in this same situation if you control the fullback and miss a tackle, he moves into the box and breaks your shape, now someone is unmarked and you have just given them a free chance at your goal. dont make these kind of mistakes.

best approach imo is to play the libero style. pick a cdm or any midfielder and only control that player on defense. take away passing lanes and apply pressure. once you start to understand that concept then you will feel more comfortable with defending with other players.

on offense, you have to use supporting passing and know how to read the defense. if the defense is being aggressive. meaning they are going after you and not to give you room to breath. you have to play those short support passes. 1 2 pass down the field. play that forward pass and when they jump on it, immediately hit the guy making his run. this can break their shape and give you room in the box. if they are playing passive (not jumping passes or pressing) then you have room to shoot from the edge of the box. this is where you want to isolate players with speed or agility against players that dont have it. they can create space and create chances.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »