Home

FYI, True Coach Mode Being Patched Into M13, Will You Use It?

This is a discussion on FYI, True Coach Mode Being Patched Into M13, Will You Use It? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
FYI, True Coach Mode Being Patched Into M13, Will You Use It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I had forgot about that part of the patch, adding Coach Mode.

Dewiel and/or Emmdot, is that a true Coach Mode or just the Auto QB thing? Meaning I think but haven't played, that NCAA Football has a TRUE Coach Mode, with NO User control, AI Kickers kick, etc. Is that how this Coach Mode is or again, the normal Auto QB type?

This could make me get M13 back because as I stated back before Madden 13 was released, I wouldn't mind trying a Coach Mode only 32 User online CCM. Basically be like play a multiplayer HC09 IF CCM is fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewiel
So you'll just pick the plays, but you won't control anyone.
I wanted to start this thread because it seems from a thread search that others were pretty disappointed in no true coach mode being in Madden and may not be aware that it is reported to being in the next patch. There was even an earlier thread confirming that coach mode would NOT be patched but thankful the devs seem to somehow found a way to do it anyway. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hed-later.html

I would like to hear about if gamers plan on trying out coach mode after the patch drops and discuss why or why not. It may help those that have never considered trying the mode see it in a different light and be a good discussion for Coaching strategy.

For me, I liked HC09 but couldn't get into the lack of actual game play against other Users. However, that was 4 years ago and some of my perspective has since changed. Also, I think with the detailed on-field game play that plays out in Madden versus in HC09, it will likely make coaching from the sidelines more enjoyable. I like the thought of having to actually count on AI players to execute my play calling and feeling like I truly need to understand my personnel to be successful. I feel a true coach mode will add a level of strategy to Madden on-field that has been sorely lacking. Also, CCM having more team management elements of HC09 makes this an idle time to add this mode. Not to mention DPP know becomes a major factor, which I am really excited about.

EDIT*- 10/08/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmdotFrisk
Player/roster editing is for offline only.

Coach mode will allow you to call plays and watch in broadcast without controlling a player.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 10-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Banned

belucheez2's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: FYI, True Coach Mode Being Patched Into M13, Will You Use It?

This is definitely how I'm gonna go about playing now.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Rookie

tosa's Arena

OVR: 10

I for one am elated to have this mode in
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by belucheez2
This is definitely how I'm gonna go about playing now.
Have you tried coach mode before, in NCAA, HC09 or older Maddens? I am not even sure if this has been in Madden before.

I just thought of this off the top of my head but OS should consider doing a coach mode only online community, like the one they have for traditional mode, if possible. I wonder will it just be a menu setting where both people can choose to play that way in the current OS community. Sorry for thinking out loud, lol.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

This is an interesting topic for me. Going back to Tecmo Bowl days, I'd regularly beat my brother (badly) if we controlled players, but if we just let the players do their thing, he'd beat me just as bad. I don't know if I'm just predictable or what, but that fact always annoyed me. One of these days I'll run a franchise and only call plays and see if I can improve my playcalling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

In response to your thread title, I'm absolutely thrilled to see 'coach-mode' introduced to Madden's Connected Careers Mode. Though, I still don't believe that Madden'13's CPU play-calling or AI is sophisticated enough to make 'coach-mode' an engaging experience; I'm more excited about what this may mean for Madden'14, as opposed to Madden'13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

For me, I liked HC09 but couldn't get into the lack of actual game play against other Users. However, that was 4 years ago and some of my perspective has since changed. Also, I think with the detailed on-field game play that plays out in Madden versus in HC09, it will likely make coaching from the sidelines more enjoyable.

I disagree.

I don't think a Madden title will ever be a more rewarding experience than what we had in the NFL Headcoach series. Mainly because in Madden you have much less influence over where your QB will throw the football; all you do is call the play and cross your fingers. In NFL Headoach, you had the option of setting your QB's read-progression for every play in your playbook; providing an obscene amount of control. You could also create your own plays and formations; then use them in your franchise-mode. Then to top it off, there was a 'Play Knowledge' mechanic which meant that the players on your roster had to actually know the play or they would run the wrong route or not be in the spot they were to supposed to be; so practice meant so much more in NFL Headcoach.

Until we begin to approach that level of depth and control in Madden, 'coach-mode' will never be as rewarding or as engaging than what we had in the NFL Headcoach series.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
This is an interesting topic for me. Going back to Tecmo Bowl days, I'd regularly beat my brother (badly) if we controlled players, but if we just let the players do their thing, he'd beat me just as bad. I don't know if I'm just predictable or what, but that fact always annoyed me. One of these days I'll run a franchise and only call plays and see if I can improve my playcalling.
That's what makes this interesting for me as well, the nature of play calling and team management versus stick skill. I think on-field User control allows people to overcome their deficiencies in other areas. I relish the thought of a key injury or DPP change really mattering and effecting my playcalling, unlike when I have User control of the players on-field.

A post from that earlier thread about coach mode originally not planned to be patched, has a quote that states Madden's game play engine is not designed for CPU v CPU and I think design decisions going forward could benefit from the devs paying attention to coach mode games, in the sense of how AI players perform on-field without User control. The more realistic that is, the more realistic the game will perform as a whole.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

@Big - IMHO, you will get bored of it quickly for this reason: Madden is different from HC 09 in that it does not have the in depth preparation and parameters that lead up to the games. You don't have the same dynamics with respect to injuries, playbook understanding, coaching staff, personnel management, etc. etc. that made HC so awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »