Home

The 'how to score goals' thread

This is a discussion on The 'how to score goals' thread within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The 'how to score goals' thread

Playing mostly GM connected, I can never score more than usually 1 goal a game. Hard to win if you don't score!

I cant get rebounds in, wide open shots from the slot dont go in, once in a blue moon I'll get a deflection from the point.

How do YOU score?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The 'how to score goals' thread

It's a lot easier to get rebound goals this year. I get a decent amount of those. It's also nice to be able to go five hole for once. Slap shots from the blue line sneak through. One timers from behind the net or to the point are also nice. Wraparounds work too. I don't really have too much of a problem scoring this year to be honest.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Rookie

I have the most success with wraparounds and rebound goals. Point blank one-timers and in-the-slot wristers seem to be snatched by the goalie too often.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Here's the ways I've been scoring most this year:

Shots from the slot. Especially with some traffic in front of the net. Screened goalie.

Rebound goals. Usually with my second and third line D, the less skilled offensive D men, I get three puck to them on the point, but instead of aiming up, I aim low so the puck has a much better chance of glancing off the goalies pads to one of my forwards.

Point slappers. With my offensive D men, I will very rarely attempt a slap shot unless there is traffic in front of the net. If the goalie sees out from the point, he's probably gonna stop it. But if there's a screen set up I'll let it rip and try to nipe a corner.

It's been awesome now playing on 1.04 with more penalties. Umbrella PP: Parise, Suter, Heatley on the top. Pass back and forth between those three, tire out the PK, and wait for the slot to open up!

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Here's the ways I've been scoring most this year:

Shots from the slot. Especially with some traffic in front of the net. Screened goalie.

Rebound goals. Usually with my second and third line D, the less skilled offensive D men, I get three puck to them on the point, but instead of aiming up, I aim low so the puck has a much better chance of glancing off the goalies pads to one of my forwards.

Point slappers. With my offensive D men, I will very rarely attempt a slap shot unless there is traffic in front of the net. If the goalie sees out from the point, he's probably gonna stop it. But if there's a screen set up I'll let it rip and try to nipe a corner.

It's been awesome now playing on 1.04 with more penalties. Umbrella PP: Parise, Suter, Heatley on the top. Pass back and forth between those three, tire out the PK, and wait for the slot to open up!
I will try shooting 'low/down' from the point. Since I play on Prefer Up, I naturally hold up on the LS when I shoot. What offensive strategy do you use for more screens? I either don't get any, or when they do they bounch off my player, instead of getting deflected.

On a side note, that Wild team looks good on paper. Even as a Kings fan, I wanna see how they turn out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetjsquared
I have the most success with wraparounds and rebound goals. Point blank one-timers and in-the-slot wristers seem to be snatched by the goalie too often.
Explain how you are scoring wrap-arounds.

I've never been able to get those to go in any year of this game.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

One thing that stands out for me this year is that goalies seem a lot more varied. For a given game, a goalie can just stand on his head and dominate, even if he is lower rated. It can be frustrating but is actually realistic.

In my online gm league we randomly generated rosters and I ended up with an 80 overall rated goalie. He isn't good overall, but now and again he stands on his head and is seemingly unbeatable. Again, it is frustrating, but pretty realistic. On a given night some backup goalie can dominate and carry his team.

When I run into the goalie who seems to stop everything, I get back to basics. I set my line strategies to crash the net and look for the garbage goal. Keep firing pucks through a crowd and eventually some will bounce in.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Rookie

Yeah the rebounds work quite well for me as well as my snipers burying it top shelf near the slot however I will say, cross crease passes have led to many of my goals, most of the time I'll get a goal on a low shot, so the goalie can't dive across and hit it with his stick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »