Home

Just make a college game

This is a discussion on Just make a college game within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Just make a college game

Why doesn't EA just make a college basketball game???? I understand that most don't share the same affinity i have for the college game but they do have the license and are just sitting on it. If i am EA i wouldn't try to get back in the basketball market thru the NBA i would go thru the NCAA. EA is not going to come close to touching 2K in basketball anytime soon. However, if EA made a college hoops game with no other competition out there then they can slowly change the perception of previous titles and get that bad taste out of gamers' mouths. They have to start out with good game play along with authenticity and solid atmosphere. they should then cut their teeth over the next 3 years making the game better and solidifying the online base. Then after 3-4 years bring it over to the NBA. Perception is reality and right now no one would by an NBA game from EA but on the college level they would be the only game in town. Also they would need to it as editable as possible so if they mess something up the games can go in and tweak it. Thoughts ????????????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Just make a college game

Its not profitable enough for either 2k or EA to make a college basketball game, thats what it came down to.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Pro

sactown_13's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Its not profitable enough for either 2k or EA to make a college basketball game, thats what it came down to.
this. and if they struggle to get a playable nba game how would they make a college game?? its still basketball
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

You assume that the market is not there to be profitable but that's not the case and has never been the case with college basketball games. The problem with the games is that they sucked. On college campuses and in college towns there are tons people playing madden and ncaa football and nba 2k. If you make a product that isnt any good no one will want to buy it. If you make a good, i mean good college basketball game then it will sell. The fact that EA tried to go up against nba 2k was laughable, they cant get back in the basketball market that way, they need to be the only game in town. Hence a college basketball game with no other developers competing against you. Their college basketball product has been pretty bad since Coach K so of course it wouldn't sell a lot of copies. In order for this to work EA would have to start with a great product, no more of these stripped down games that the try to build up over a 5-6 year period.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_densen
If you make a good, i mean good college basketball game then it will sell.
Most people held the 2K CHoops series in high regard, but they weren't selling enough to continue when the NCAA jacked up the license fees.

To be honest, I am not sure why it didn't sell better. I am a very ****** fan of real college basketball, but I think the sport translates very well to video games. And unlike football, you are spending most of the time actually playing vs spending 90% of the time in the huddle and waiting to snap the ball....but for whatever reason, the masses still gravitate towards Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

2k should make another college hoops game. I still play 2k8 and is my favorite video game of all time. I say they make a game every two years with a price tag of $100, where they supply a roster update before the lapsed season and also supply a patch with some new additions and fixes for bugs. This would get our money and help secure their profit up front.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

The thing is, the roster update wouldn't come from whoever makes the game. It would come from the roster makers, and people always have a problem with community rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »