Home

Shot stick or just Square for shooting/dunk/layup?

This is a discussion on Shot stick or just Square for shooting/dunk/layup? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Rookie

trufootball's Arena

OVR: 11
Shot stick or just Square for shooting/dunk/layup?

i was surprised to see when i went to training mode that they advised me to use the square button for shooting, dunk. and so on. I've worked hard at being a good player with using the shot stick. Now that they've incorporated a modifier with the shot stick i'm wondering if it is still the best option? It is very convenient using the square instead of and the combination of buttons it takes to use the shot stick on a regular basis.

Although i must say when i was to freestyle practice mode i tried getting best shot results using the square button and it was almost impossible to get a perfect release for me, i'd say 90% of my shots be rated a B- or B+. But when i used the shot stick almost every shot was perfect release? is it that there is more control with shooting with the control stick?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Shot stick or just Square for shooting/dunk/layup?

It's because you're used to the shot stick. When I first started playing NBA2K games I used the square button all the time and gradually migrated to using the shot stick. I always though you had a lot more control over your shots especially when doing post moves, but I haven't quite got the hang of using the modifier + shot stick in this game yet either.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

I was a total shotstick user in 2k12 as well. I find it a bit easier to use the shot button than the shot stick. With all of the flicks on the stick to get some of the moves I am not consistant. I get much better consistency using the shot stick. I still use the shot stick for post moves though. I guess I started in 2k9 with the circle and will migrate back to the shot button.

It seems a bit easier and more natural to use the button on catch and shoot opportunities as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 25
I just wonder why they didn't just have us hold LT for dribble moves then release LT for shot stick. Just makes more sense to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Last year was the first year that I became a full shot stick user, because i liked the gathers and dribble pull ups that could be initiated. Prior to that (2k11 and earlier) I used button for shooting and shot stick for layups/dunks.

I find it very difficult this year to make the L2 and double tap of the shot stick work consistently for shots off the dribble. Often times i end up either launching a shot I didn't want, or doing a convoluted pump fake. At first it felt like cheating because it was easier, but now Im going to use the hop step gather button followed by the shot button for my off the dribble jumpers. It just feels more natural to me, and i know exactly what Im going to get. I just had to get my ego and my love for the shot stick out of my mind. Felt like I was cheating by going back to the hop button. But the level of control is so much better and consistent. Hit a buzzer beater with pierce last night off of a hop and shoot. I feel like with the shot stick double tap, I might not even have gotten that shot off.

Still use shot stick for layups, dunks, paint shots, post moves, and spin jumpers. love the feeling of rotating that stick (pause) for the spin shots.

on the perimeter and beyond, its shot button.

anyone else with me?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
I just wonder why they didn't just have us hold LT for dribble moves then release LT for shot stick. Just makes more sense to me.
There's actual an option in the CONTROLLER SETTINGS that switches the use of the RS between the Dribble Stick to the classic SHOT stick.

Dwayne Wade is the G.O.AT.!!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 11

i've only played one quarter so far (don't grow old people), but i think that with time the dribble stick/shot stick with modifier will get to be easier. i pulled off a sweet crossover to the baseline and reverse layup entirely with the right stick and left trigger at the appropriate time, with DeAndre Jordan of all people lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »