Home

Beluba's Isomotion Tips

This is a discussion on Beluba's Isomotion Tips within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Beluba's Isomotion Tips

Some of you may be struggling with the control stick or getting past a defender in the Demo or Game(when it's release)

Well Beluba(Mike Wang) has been dropping some knowledge on the forums lately and I think this would be a good thread to share his tips, with some of you that might have missed them, so here are the links to his quotes from the Advance Controls Thread, where you can view the move list for NBA 2k13.

He also answered questions regarding demo difficulty,some post moves, right sticking dribbling settings, the scripted size-ups and shots(bank shots, floaters, runners)

Please recommend this thread, if you have questions regarding Runners, floaters, Isomotion, driving, and Bank shots. Thank you

Here are the Isomotion tips.

1.First tips and thoughts about the new dribbling system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Okay I just have two more questions. I remember around E3 footage time, you post on here that you were unhappy with isomotion. Are you happy with the new dribbling system?

My second question is could you possibly give us a tip on using the new control stick dribbling? So we can have something to practice during in the demo.

Thank you for your time and the hard work you've put in over the years.
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
For a first year effort... pretty happy with the right stick iso. But it will take another year to get the full design implemented. So ask me again next year.

As for tips... My advice for those who are still struggling with the controls would be to give it time. It took most people in the office several days, if not longer, to get comfortable with the changes. But at some point it will click and become second nature. Moving Isomotion to the right stick is a necessary step in bringing the floor game of NBA2K to the next level. It will be more apparent when you see the next evolution of the Control Stick in 14.

The other thing I'll add is that there's a rhythm to the moves and how they chain together. It's important to learn them and to use the moves in the proper contexts. Spazzing on the right stick won't get you very far, at least not in the higher difficulty levels or against competent human opponents. It's also important to coordinate where you're trying to go with the left stick before and after right stick moves. That's something that's not really in the manual or in Training Camp. You just kind of have to learn it through trial and error. Also, lay off turbo until you're ready to attack with your drive. Too much turbo will make the dribbler very unwieldy.
2.How to get explosive Launches.
Quote:
I have a question about the new dribbling. Sometimes the ball handler doesn't explode out of the move, for example I'll use a couple of size ups(Idk if you still call them that) and when I get the defender off balance, he doesn't explode out of the move. So what do I have to do, to get those explosive launches?
Answer:
Quote:
Make sure you're holding Turbo when you move the LS in the direction you want to drive. Not all sizeup moves have explosive launch branch points, but most do. Best thing to do is to go into practice mode with the full game and experiment.
3.Reading the defender
Quote:
You basically have to see how far or close your defender is and pick the correct move depending on their defensive position. Maybe Beluba can shed some light on this, I don't want to give you the wrong info. The thing that has been working for me is being patient and watching my defender.
Answer:
Quote:
It's important to know how much space the different moves cover as well as the kind of angles you can take with your launches out of those moves. So for example, try tapping the right stick toward your ball hand for a standing hes, if your defender shifts with you or opens up in that same direction, move the right stick back to start a behind the back move while holding the left stick toward your offhand to go into the behind the back launch. If you can attack the defender's front foot you should be fast enough to get past him before he can open up the other way and get into a ride with you. If your defender gaps you, pull the left stick away for a step back and shoot a J. That's just an example but the idea is the same whenever you're isolating 1 on 1. Bait the defender until you see something open up, then capitalize.
4.Thoughts on using the Left stick dribbling moves and Right Stick dribbling moves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
that's exactly it. you've got it. once i understood that, the control started to feel amazing. i wish they would've been more clear about the left stick moves. they spent so much time talking about the right stick, they forgot to mention the left stick functionality and how it might conflict with the right stick.

i'm actually loving the automatic left stick crossovers, spins, and hesitations. it's nice to be able to do them without using a modifier button. they work so well that i find i don't even need the right stick a lot of the time.
(post was edited by blues)

Answer:
Quote:
Yeah, you can be pretty effective with just LS on the move. You can even sizeup somewhat effectively with LS by tapping left and right. For me, I use Right Stick for ALL moves. The key is to let off LS as you input the RS move, allow the cross (or whatever move) to initiate, then immediately move the LS in the direction you want to move AFTER the ISO move is done. I don't even think about it anymore, it's just second nature. But whatever's working for you, by all means, stick with it. Like I've mentioned before, there are a lot of different ways to play 2K -- and no ONE right way. Once you have all the options exposed to you in the retail version, I'm convinced that everyone will find something that's comfortable for them.
5.Driving tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
So use the LS to drive before the RS animation finishes?
Answer:
Quote:
I typically start to push my LS in the middle of my dribble move or just after it starts. I use that split second to read the defense and react accordingly.
6.How to do the In & Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo
You have to be engaged by a defender, then pull away on the stick. Also, the quick shoulder fakes without a live dribble from the post look a lot better this year,, namely the one faking baseline.

Mike or anyone for that matter, is it possible to in-and-out stationary without hesitating first?

And has anyone been able to successfully pull off the half-spin jumper every time? I'm following the directions but most times I end up with either a pull-up or just a regular spin.
Answer:
Quote:
For the standing in and out, RS toward off hand to start a cross then immediately move the left stick toward the ball hand before the ball leaves his hand. The moving in and out is done the same way. Basically, think of it as moving in the opposite direction of your crossover.
7.Demo Difficulty and he recommends some settings for the Retail Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdifference
My only complaint is the rebounding. Guys are still stuck on stupid and almost never in position. I don't think there are enough fouls being called. Otherwise I like the game.
Answer:
Quote:
Demo is set to Pro diff, default game style -- which leans more toward the ****** audience.

When you get the retail version, change the game style to Simulation and play on All Star or above for a more OS-friendly experience.
8.Speaks on Right Stick preference
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHalos22
Beluba, do you personally use camera-relative or absolute?
Answer:
Quote:
For 6 months, I was playing with Absolute dribbles and preferred it that way. Eventually the consensus in the office was to change it to camera-relative. So I've been playing camera-relative for the past few months (it's a pain to keep changing the option during the dev cycle.) I'm actually fine either way. For shots I always go camera-relative.
9.What happened to the Size-ups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajDeni
i was asking this question in the impression thread about Sizeup moves and i got most of the answer i was looking for but since there is a dev communicating here ill ask it here.

did player specific sizeup moves get removed?

because all the pg/sg/sfs in the demo perform the same animations when the sizeup moves are executed. so 4ex from a stand dribble if you tap back 2x on the RS every player performs the exact same animation etc.

whereas in 2k12 almost every player had a set of 4 sizeup moves that were unique to himself, so Kobe had sizeup moves that were completely different from say Durant.
Answer:
Quote:
the signature sizeups from last year are gone. with the new system, there are different variations of the sizeup moves based on dribble ability.
second answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Beluba, is there a technical reason why they couldn't be kept in with the new system?
Answer:
Quote:
Not so much technical as they didn't fit in the year 1 design of the Control Stick. Most of those sizeups were move chains and didn't break out into individual moves very well. I have some ideas for how to incorporate them (in some form) into the next iteration.
10.Contesting shots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Player doesnt actually jump. But he raises his arm and leaves his feet of the ground a little bit. A guy did that 5 times to me online in a 5 minutes game. Everytime he got passed me because of that. There is no way I get owned because the game forces me into an animation.

But you're right though I maybe was pressing LT at the time. Still though, I don't think my player should initiate animation on it's own without my input.
Answer:
Quote:
Your guy will "auto-contest" if you're holding LT or if you're doing the hands up move with RS. You can change the AUTOMATIC SHOT CONTEST setting in Controller Settings when you get the game next week
11.Lead Passing
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Hey, Beluba. i've got a question kind of related to this - it's about the icon lead pass. the versatility of the lead pass has been greatly reduced after 2k11. you can no longer use it to make a stationary receiver move or cut - ever since 2k12, the lead pass only works to BARELY redirect a receiver who is already moving. what i liked about the lead passing in 2k11 was that you could make stationary receivers move and cut to open areas if they didn't move there on their own. the removal of this function is pretty frustrating to me - a lot of times i'll see an opening and want to lead my teammate to cut through it, so i'll try to lead him there like in 2k11, but instead he just stands in place when i pass to him...using the lead pass doesn't even change the placement of the pass if the receiver is standing still.

the lead pass in 2k11 was overpowered because it made stationary receivers launch forward too quickly, but i would still like the ability move them around in a realistic way with lead pass. what was the reasoning for removing this functionality from the lead pass? was it a technical issue, or was it viewed as an exploit that needed to be removed? if it was done in a more realistic way, i don't see it as an exploit at all. it made the passing game a lot more fun...it gave you a lot more control over your offense and allowed you to create better passing angles. the improved teammate AI helps your teammates to make cuts on their own, but there are still many times when they fail to move to open areas...in these situations the old lead pass functionality would help greatly. please bring it back.
Answer:

Quote:
it wasn't removed... just toned down because a) it was an exploit and b) looked terrible. Our passing engineer spent time trying to improve it for 13, but to be honest, I don't really use it anymore.

12.He gave us a post move to try
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
Question on the post controls. Is it possible to do a faceup then immediately enter into a spin layup (You know...the only move Blake Griffin knows in the post )?

I have not succeeded so far because it keeps giving me the spin jumper animation instead of the spin layup/dunk.

Is it because none of them have the post proficiency sig skill? Am I doing it wrong or is it simply not possible?

Edit: The move in question:
Answer:
Quote:
Yep, that move is definitely possible. I put a bunch of those shots in personally. Try facing up, then hold LT(L2) and spin the right stick. Or you can double tap B(CIRCLE) then hold X(SQUARE)
13.Speaks on Drop Step Dunks or Layups and Triple threat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
Beluba, I think some of the controls are wrong on the ps3 screenshots....

Under Post "Triangle" Moves (the second group under Post moves)........

I believe that the moves under "From Hold", and "From Dribble" are switched. The faceup drive moves are under "From Dribble". But every time I try them from a dribble, my player just takes a step in the direction I push then stops but keeps his dribble alive.

They will only faceup drive when I have not used my dribble.

Also, in the Control Stick: Dribbling section there are controls for triple threat moves with the context being "Triple Threat". But how in the world do we get into the triple threat position? Is it standing still without having used a dribble?
Answer:
Quote:
Whether you get a layup or dunk off the drop step will be decided by several factors such as ability and dunk package, but yes, it's possible to drop step dunk.

And yeah, you're automatically in triple threat when you catch a pass before you start to dribble.
14.Bank shots info
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I don't know if this is the place to ask about it, or if it has been covered already but... Shooting a bank shot - is it automatic now? Is there a button for it?
Answer:
Quote:
Bank shots are automatic now, based on the player's use glass tendency
Also I decided to throw this new question & answer in. So this is the second question regarding bank shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
So if I use a guy like Duncan, he would shoot a bank shot every time?
Answer:
Quote:
Nearly every time. And yeah, bank shots are completely aesthetic.
15.Floaters and Runners
Quote:
Originally Posted by achieveduser
Can you give me some tips on how to pull off an Euro step? I read the control stick instruction and tried it with Dwade over 20 games yesterday. I did it just once.

Also is floater samething as runner? Maybe shot selection is contextual?

Please Help me out:
Are these (euro, floater, runner) moves something I should be able to do with a defender in front of me? I'm asking this because I kept trying it with a defender in front of me but don't know where is the sweet spot to initiate the move while driving.
Answer:
Quote:
Runner = driving shot done in the paint
Floater = standing shot done in the paint

The commands are different. For runner, you have to be moving and in range, then hold LT(L2) and move the Right Stick away from the hoop. For the Floater, hold LT(L2) and move the Right Stick toward the hoop while standing in the paint.

For both the runnner and the euro, you can do them in traffic but it's important to have enough space. If you collide with a defender before you get the shot to initiate, the game will think you're not moving fast enough and you won't get the right shot. You can also try double tapping X(Square). It's a little easier than a double stick throw.

Thank you Beluba for dropping these gems on us and taking time out of your busy day to answer some of our questions. Having conversations with the developers is one of many reason why Operation sports is so special. Also thank you to Steve_OS for giving this thread a sticky, so we can always return to this thread for some help.

Me personally I know the Isomotion tips have worked wonders for me and I hope they will help you out as well.

Last edited by jersez; 09-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Beluba's Isomotion Tips

I keep getting led to the last page of the topic when I click the links.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Great, great post! And thank you alot for taking the time to organize these tips so well! Very much appreciate it!

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1

This

10 chars
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Nicely done and thank you! I was going to copy and paste and do this same thing for myself and print it off before release. Thanks for making it easy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Which link and I'll quote it, is this for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Nicely done and thank you! I was going to copy and paste and do this same thing for myself and print it off before release. Thanks for making it easy!
Your welcome again hopefully this is sticky and people can come back and view this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Great, great post! And thank you alot for taking the time to organize these tips so well! Very much appreciate it!
No problem.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

Your welcome again hopefully this is sticky and people can come back and view this thread.

No problem.
For me it happens on just about all of them.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

Quote:
Quote:
Not for me, it pointed me to the correct post on each link.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »