Home

FIFA 13 Likes and Dislikes

This is a discussion on FIFA 13 Likes and Dislikes within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
FIFA 13 Likes and Dislikes

Would love to hear your top 3 likes and dislikes on the game. Doing a podcast tonight and want to bring it up. Thanks.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: FIFA 13 Likes and Dislikes

1. More animations
2. "NBA Live DNA"-like system where players are constantly updated
3. Deeper season

Dislikes:

1. Defensive is harder to play with the increased speed and animations (Offense is given yet another advantage)
2. Ball trajectory
3. First touch system - further increases ability of Christiano Ronaldo types, making 5 star teams THAT much harder in toss up situations.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

really liking the improvements with career mode. alot of the small stuff they have done really reminds me of mlb the show's attention to detail. at the same time i really would like them to expand on it little by little every year.

major dislike i have is that the online play is heavy favored to the person who has the momentum advantage. unless your opponent makes a ton of mistakes, the game feels like it is decided by a coin flip then the two of you actually playing. this was my same gripe in fifa 12.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Rookie

philliesphan026's Arena

OVR: 7

• Player skill disparity. The reasoning is basically two-fold for me, I'll break them down: The fact that the majority of the players aren't 80+ overall. This is huge for me, and one of the biggest gripes I have with games like Madden and NHL (NCAA is a bit better in this regard, but still not where I would like it). What's the point of having a rating system up to 100 if, at best, only 40% of it is utilized? In the NHL series, it seems about 80% of players in the NHL are rated between 80-90 overall. In FIFA, you can see players as low as the 40s all the way up to the 90s.

This leads me to my next point, you can really tell when you are controlling someone who is an 80 overall compared to, say, a 60 overall. The elite players stand out a lot better, especially with the new first touch system. This can easily be seen in FUT, when playing with 60s and 80s on the same squad (like I currently am) isn't out of the ordinary. With a rating system like NHL, it's harder to recognize skill disparities between above-average and below-average players since the ratings system is so skewed.
  • Skill games. These are seriously addicting, especially the dribbling obstacle course skill challenge. Definitely a good addition and I hope they expand on it more in next years version because my main drawback here is that there are only 8 different ones at the moment!
  • The menus. This might seem like a weak addition, but I seriously can't understate how amazing the menus are. As a person who likes to simulate the majority of a career mode/GM mode/etc, I spend a lot of time looking and going through them. In the past, I've been dismayed to say the least at some of the menus in EA Sports games with how ugly, bare, and slow they have been. NHL 13 is a good example, again. The menus are slow and laggy, and aren't layed out well. Navigating through HUT or the GM mode was frustrating because of the poor menus and the loading times it took to go from menu to menu (i.e. going from the main GM mode menu into your roster, or into league stats... or trying to swap out players on your HUT squad). In FIFA 13, they are awesome to look at, streamlined, and simple to navigate. Some load times still persist when opening up a new menu, but the clunkiness/lagginess is completely gone.

Dislikes:
  • Sim times. Again, from a guy who mainly simulates the career mode and only plays a few games a year, the sim times in this (and all EA games for that matter) are flat out bad. Slightly better than NHL 13, but that's not saying much.
  • Foul inconsistency. While a little inconsistency is a good thing, it just seems like the way the fouls and bookings are handed out is a huge toss up. I've been completely mauled off the ball by the CPU in the box numerous times before but have yet to receive a penalty. I notice that you are more likely to get a foul called in your favor if they try to jostle or tackle you while you are doing a skill move, however.
  • Crabwalking. Not sure why it's in, but when a player gets close to a defender while controlling the ball they go into this weird "crabwalking" animation where it looks like they are galloping sideways. It's harder to control than if you were just running normally and the transition can throw you off and cause unnecessary turnovers.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I forgot to bring up momentum. Fifa 13's new animation system is completely predicated on it. Gone are the days when you can switch to the opposite direction at whim. Your player stops, and THEN turns around.

It's more realistic. But it's makes playing defense THAT much harder. Your poor defensemen not only have to cope with a faster game and better strikers, but now they're at the mercy of the momentum system which allows them to get "faked out" a lot easier.

Right now, I'm getting faked out by simple through-balls that would have never fazed me in Fifa 12 - particularly in counter-attack formations. The defense, in general, just feels "dumber" and more sluggish this year.

(I am commenting on the multiplayer aspect of Fifa 13 by the way, so single-player people will probably will have a different experience.)

Last edited by Nab_Impervious_XII; 09-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

OVR: 10
Just wanted to list my dislikes for now:

1. The defending. Wow, either I'm really bad or my so teammates are worthless. While defending I feel like its jut me actually trying to make plays on the ball. So many times the CPU will pass the ball within a couple of steps from my AI teammate and he doesn't even try and get the ball. He just stands there and let's the CPU retina possession. It's very frustrating when inferior teams pass all over you because your teammates don't react.

2. The CPU passes. Yes they do make some mistakes but there's been so many times where they clear the ball out of defense and it falls right into one of their teammates feet. It doesn't even matter if there looking at them, they will still complete passes like that. I've seen the CPU clear with a bicycle kick and it always lands to a teammate.

3. My skill. I am incredibly rusty after not playing FIFA for a while.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Like almost everything about the way the game plays. Feels much more sim and less arcadey to me from a goal scoring standpoint (except for long shots, which seem to go in a little easier than years past).

The biggest dislike i have is one i've had for the last few years with FIFA. I just got done playing a match in which i took 20 shots and scored once and the opposing team took 2 and scored twice. It's just insane how good the goalkeepers are for the CPU and how many shots miss by inches that ive taken. I guess it's to keep scorelines realistic, but it's super irritating.

Also, every match i play ends with the CPU well over 20 tackles and me under 10. Every time. They can take a ball off of anybody on command but the superhuman agility they get when I go in for a tackle has both cost me tackles and goals conceded.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

like:

- beautiful menus, presentation changes, loading screen minigames etc. it's everything very well built and smells polishment. good job.
- match day updates, amazing addition.
- the way the game plays overall. it's much more organic than before imo.

dislike:

- default game speed. it's TOO DAMN FAST! i know we have sliders, but what about online?
- 50% of the brazilian teams are unlicensed (fake names and fake emblems), which is kinda ironic when you think konami now have licensed them all.
- now that someone mentioned it, i also think that crabwalk is really weird.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »