Home

Is there any possible way to stop out routes?

This is a discussion on Is there any possible way to stop out routes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Is there any possible way to stop out routes?

I consider myself to be an above average Madden player (I'm 16-4 this year). In the past I've played man 99% of the time while ball hawking the field with my safety. This issues isn't allowing me to do that this year (or anything for that matter).

What I've ran into the past 2 game is my opponent moving his top 2 WRs into the slot and having each run an out route. As soon as the WR breaks toward the sideline, there is a 5 yard cushion between him and my DB. I can only take away 1 out these routes with my safety so 1 is always wide open.

I've tried man (worst defense for this), zone (he would just throw a comeback route to either outside guy which would be wide open), blitzing, etc. Nothing works.

The last kid was doing this no huddle after he fell behind 35-7 and I actually quit in the 3rd quarter. I couldn't take watching this happen for 45 minutes with there being nothing I can do to stop it.

Is there a defense that can stop this? I know that EA is trying to simplify Madden for the average person, but this is ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Is there any possible way to stop out routes?

Are you using press coverage with a good cb?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Press man coverage shaded outside (through the individual coverages options).

Cover 3 with curl to flat zones.

Cover 2 with the flat zones hot routed to curl to flat zones.

Regular Cover 2

Cover 4

Fire Zone Coverage (3 deep 3 short) can stop the 10 yard outs if he is throwing them right at the cut

You'll only run into any real trouble when they start turning those out routes into vertical stretch and flood concepts so that your underneath coverage has to make a decision on who to cover. They cover the out he throws to the flats they cover the flats he throws to the out.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankman69
I consider myself to be an above average Madden player (I'm 16-4 this year). In the past I've played man 99% of the time while ball hawking the field with my safety. This issues isn't allowing me to do that this year (or anything for that matter).

What I've ran into the past 2 game is my opponent moving his top 2 WRs into the slot and having each run an out route. As soon as the WR breaks toward the sideline, there is a 5 yard cushion between him and my DB. I can only take away 1 out these routes with my safety so 1 is always wide open.

I've tried man (worst defense for this), zone (he would just throw a comeback route to either outside guy which would be wide open), blitzing, etc. Nothing works.

The last kid was doing this no huddle after he fell behind 35-7 and I actually quit in the 3rd quarter. I couldn't take watching this happen for 45 minutes with there being nothing I can do to stop it.

Is there a defense that can stop this? I know that EA is trying to simplify Madden for the average person, but this is ridiculous.

Dont mean to be rude, but this is exactly what you get!!!

Playing with your safety in madden is the cheapest way of playing IMO, they cover too much ground way too fast and too easily as if "foot Planting" were properly implemented this would not be the case and the risk you take "ballHawking" would be more devastation to you than the issue you are having now.

I would do the same thing for the simple fact of what I wrote above and you know it as well as 90% of the online community. I have seen it numerous times where people who play with their safeties do that run towards the LOS get caught and still make up the ground to get in position to make the play or you run plays where you leave your opponent no choice but to throw in the path of your user controlled safety for an easy INT.

Sorry bruh, maybe youtube could help you as I am tired of seeing that type of crappy arcade gameplay ruin my experience. He's doing what anyone else would have done but I guess you didnt gameplan for that!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Dont mean to be rude, but this is exactly what you get!!!

Playing with your safety in madden is the cheapest way of playing IMO, they cover too much ground way too fast and too easily as if "foot Planting" were properly implemented this would not be the case and the risk you take "ballHawking" would be more devastation to you than the issue you are having now.

I would do the same thing for the simple fact of what I wrote above and you know it as well as 90% of the online community. I have seen it numerous times where people who play with their safeties do that run towards the LOS get caught and still make up the ground to get in position to make the play or you run plays where you leave your opponent no choice but to throw in the path of your user controlled safety for an easy INT.

Sorry bruh, maybe youtube could help you as I am tired of seeing that type of crappy arcade gameplay ruin my experience. He's doing what anyone else would have done but I guess you didnt gameplan for that!
So reading routes and trying to take away open WRs is dirty, but running the same route over and over is legit?

Sounds like a typical Madden cheesier to me. The whole point of using a safety is to cover for busted coverage/take away cheese routes. It requires user skill rather than relying 100% on your computer.

thebizarrojerry - I was using the 49ers. He was using the Falcons and had White/Jones running the out routes. They don't have elite DBs but they shouldn't be getting smoked every play.

baller7345 - I tried running some zone but it is a guaranteed 10 yard completion to anyone running a curl route (which his 2 outside guys were doing).

Last edited by wankman69; 09-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankman69
baller7345 - I tried running some zone but it is a guaranteed 10 yard completion to anyone running a curl route (which his 2 outside guys were doing).
Is it a curl route or a 15 yard comeback? Cover 2 sink cover's curl routes really well as does any defense that throws both a curl to flat zone and a flat zone on one side of the field.

If its a comeback route that he is combining with the out route then is it a deep out or a shallow speed out? The speed out can be contained with flat defenders and if you know he is running deep comebacks using hook zones and playing off the WR is an easy way to get underneath them. If its deep outs then the spacing is going to be all wrong and it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have decent zone defenders because eventually one of those throws is going to be a little off.

2 Man Under shaded to the outside is still a perfectly good option but you have to really quick to shade all your CBs to outside. You could run 2 man under with both safeties in culr to flat zones though you won't have help over the top.

Finally pull out your favorite overload blitz concept and send some heat. Both the deep outs and the deep comebacks take time to develop and if its a shallow out and a deep comeback then plays like 3-4 Over Cover will shut that down all day. A Falcon Blitz concept may be the best way to do this (Dbl Safety Blitz from Nickel or Dime) since it seems he doesn't really attack the middle of the field much so losing safety help in the middle isn't going to kill you. Pres your slot defenders and shade outside (may have to reposition one of those slot defenders so that he is in front of his assignment) and let those safeties do their job.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Since he's putting his best receivers in the slot, you should move your best corners to 3 and 4 on the depth chart, so they're matched up with receivers when you go Dime.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Rookie

All of these suggestions are nice and might actually work ONCE in a while but let's call this what it really is...

The truth Wankman69, is NO. There is no way to stop the bs offense that you described in the OP if you're going against anyone that knows exactly what they're doing and knows how to read D. I've played madden football for years on years, and played real-life ball even longer. In this years Madden, if you don't know how to sufficiently win in a shootout game against those type players, it's gameover. The ONLY true defense against that this year is finding a league that doesn't allow consistent abuse of the automatic routes you've described, which is actually ridiculous since no one should have to do it.

People say, " Well are you using a good DB?" It doesn't matter if you have Primetime Deion Sanders, these things still happen, and even if the prospect of getting pick scares them off their favorite target, any experienced person will adjust on the fly. And you can forget about it if they have any sort of multi-weaponed offensive attack ala NE,GB,NO,SF etc. As I covered in another thread, the good TE's are pretty much uncoverable this year period and with the new ball placement ability, LB's and SS's along with most 2nd, 3rd, 4th DB's are rendered useless.

LOL @ Most people talking about adjusting their ENTIRE defense just to have a CHANCE at stopping this madness. Until the true interaction between WR's and DB's is improved on and those "shading" techniques are correctly implemented, until the win/loss coin flip of press coverage is eliminated..this will be what we're left with.

Oh and to the guy who knocked the OP for using his safety, Madden's broken offenses of the last few years probably brought that on so I commend him for making the smart play. There was nothing the cpu would or could do about the SLANTS, Unders, Crosses or any of that BS properly the last few years. Yes you could do unbelieveable things with the safety but when compared to offensive exploits, you should be ashamed for even knocking his user choice...that is all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »