Home

A hardcore Simulation player's view of Madden...

This is a discussion on A hardcore Simulation player's view of Madden... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Banned

tfer717's Arena

OVR: 0
A hardcore Simulation player's view of Madden...

I am strictly an offline player. For the main reason that I just play vs friends that play ultra simulation like me. But with Madden 13 i've realized that even 2 players trying to play as sim as possible, the game doesn't reward you for it. It encourages you to play 'cheesy' (as i like to call it).

this is a list of things that I think really hinder the simulation player.
(to preface. I play on All-Pro Difficulty, 15 min quarters, game speed very slow, 0 threshold)

#1. ZIG-ZAG Running. - it is nearly impossible to play this game without zig zag running showing its ugly head. When I play the game I try to make it a point to juke with the right stick and run in realistic angles, but i often find that the only way to shed tackles at the line of scrimmage is to 'zig-zag' and play 'cheesy'. Runners don't plant, or shift weight. It is sheer ice skating. If u look on youtube at nearly every madden player. it is filled with 20 step drop backs and zig zag galore. This hinders the game unbelievably.

#2 The entire receiving engine (WR's and DB's) - this is a topic that is not as often talked about. But I believe that the entire catching engine in the game is flawed. The ball warps in to the players hands and will change spin, position and trajectory just to acheive this. Does it not bother anyone else that once a DB makes a pick (when the screen turns) it can never be knocked out or dropped? Catches seem too predictable. It doesn't feel organic. (don't even get me started on the onside kick catching) it just seems like that ball always warps into players' hands.

#3 O-Line/D-Line Interaction - this seems to be too often talked about. So I don't have to say much. It just isn't real at all. and seems to lack any sort of depth. Maybe the worst thing in the game.

#4 rag doll physics - I very much disagree with EA's pushing of this 'physics based gameplay'. To me it feels much more like animations happening with their limbs and head's adjusting to the player hitting them. I've seen perhaps 100's of animations from past maddens, just with a leg bending differently, (and clumsily).

#5 'The Big Play' - For some reason every madden I have ever played always had this. And in 13, it seems to be in full effect. Every game I play, even when trying to be the most sim possible.. Never fails, their is ALWAYS a big play. An 80 yard run, 5 broken tackles, deep diving catch..etc. In other words, plays that happen 1-2 a year in real life, seem to happen every game. Remember the tyree catch from older madden's? I literally saw that catch every game I played. Madden's approach of making this game 'fun' alienates the sim gamer. This game will never truly become simulation if they continue this approach.

#6 NFL Experience and Immersion - Every year I feel that EA drops the ball on this. This year they touted their presentation as the best yet. But all it takes is playing 2 games to see all it has to offer. There is no variance, no changes in scenery or what players do game to game. I urge URGE madden, to take a real-time approach to presentation. Im not asking for halftime shows or weekly wrap ups. I just want to see different things every game. (such as nba 2k or the show). I hate seeing the same pre game rituals from the players. Their is NO depth in this game.

thank you for reading this 'rant'. in closing I am in no way an EA *****. I adore NHL 13, and really think its the greatest sports game ever made. But it really angers me to see Madden completely monopolize the market, and not listen to the SIM gamers. NBA 2k went for total sim, and they are on top. Arcade is NEVER the way to go with flagship franchises. Leave it to Blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: A hardcore Simulation player's view of Madden...

I agree 100%
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Well stated OP, no matter how much I try to just enjoy Madden, the player movement is an immersion killer. I like the IE but without addressing player movement and small nuances like RBs "pushing off" their own blockers, it just can't shine.

I have said it before but the big 3 for M14 must be AI, player movement and the trenches for Madden to be considered a solid sim.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Well stated OP, no matter how much I try to just enjoy Madden, the player movement is an immersion killer. I like the IE but without addressing player movement and small nuances like RBs "pushing off" their own blockers, it just can't shine.

I have said it before but the big 3 for M14 must be AI, player movement and the trenches for Madden to be considered a solid sim.
Same here. The player movement has made me shut off the game in frustration and go do something else with my time. The only reason I bought Madden was for the depth of Franchise and building a team, so I already plan on selling 13 and keeping 12 and just playing Franchise in that.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Rookie

briz1744's Arena

OVR: 4

Agree with all the above but fear very little of this will ever change until those in charge at EA fathom out that what people want is not a fun video game based on NFL football but the fun of NFL football. That making Madden true to life would make it fun in itself
Here I'm not only refering to on the field but in its career modes too. Adding bells and whistles is marvellous if the foundation is realistic but is irrelevant if not
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

The presentation is still bad. The intro where one of the players is tapping his teammates on their shoulders looks cool...until you realize you see it every game, there's no variety. The commentators don't notice things, it's just: "1st and 10...2nd and 5..." Simms is really annoying, he constantly blames my qb for 'bad throws' when it's my wrs that keep dropping wide open passes.

Replays are poorly done too, they're either too long and don't allow me to run no huddle, or just pointless, like showing a 2 yard run out of bounds. That combined with the gameplay problems still not improved and glitches makes me feel like a disappointed beta tester.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #7
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree with everything you said except number #4 rag doll physics. I am happy they are moving toward a physics based engine, when RTP kicks in, its really a thing of beauty, the problem is that the tackling is not all RTP's their is still a lot of canned tackles. But for those reasons you stated above is the reason I am trading my copy in for NBA 2K 13. Maybe next year, maybe I will have to wait til next gen to get a good football game, maybe never, if EA keeps the exclusive license.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Banned

tfer717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I agree with everything you said except number #4 rag doll physics. I am happy they are moving toward a physics based engine, when RTP kicks in, its really a thing of beauty, the problem is that the tackling is not all RTP's their is still a lot of canned tackles. But for those reasons you stated above is the reason I am trading my copy in for NBA 2K 13. Maybe next year, maybe I will have to wait til next gen to get a good football game, maybe never, if EA keeps the exclusive license.
I just feel that the physics isn't a fundamental part of the tackling. it almost seems like it is put on top of the animations. I still feel like 75% of tackles are animation driven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »