Home

My love/hate relationship with CCM

This is a discussion on My love/hate relationship with CCM within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
My love/hate relationship with CCM

When I first bought this game and tried CCM for the first time, I hated it. I immediately regretting buying the game when I saw that:
  • You could not edit ratings
  • You could not edit equipment
  • You could not edit position
  • You could not edit anything
  • Simulation statistics were a nightmare
The mode seemed to be a cool, but flawed idea. Or, flawed implementation. EA did the one thing that I hate the most - removing customization from us. I still don't understand WHY they chose to make it so that we couldn't edit a single thing once we start an offline CCM. I can understand ratings. If by their logic, editing rosters disrupts the balance or performance of CCM, I can accept that. But why can we not edit something as simple as a position or a jersey number? Makes very little sense to me and they know how many players here rely on roster communities to make their games better. They knew it would piss off and alienate a portion of their customer base.

But then I gave the mode a chance and I realized something. I am actually PLAYING the game much more than any football game I've played in the past. Why? Because I'm usually holding out for the latest roster updates from the community here. I wait so long that by the time the latest and greatest update is released, my interest level has waned a great deal and I'm not interested in playing the game much anymore. With a wife and two young little boys, my gaming time has become precious because the opportunities I get to actually sit down, relax and play a game are becoming less and less. So instead of waiting for the perfect roster, with the perfect equipment updates, I have been forced to just accept the limitations and play the game.

And that's been a great thing.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate that I can't edit. I hate that simulation statistics are atrocious at best and unacceptable at worst, but the mode has been fun. This title, IMO, plays a great game of football - probably the best on the current consoles to date. I enjoy the fluff in the Twitter 'updates' as they add a different element to the game.

In time, I think what EA will aim to do is give us a real representation of the NFL. If Tom Brady gets traded in real life, the game might have an option that reflects that in your franchise as well. I think I can see where they're going with this mode, and it's definitely geared more towards the online player, but that's just the age of gaming that we're in.

The mode is not without its problems and much can be improved upon, but it hasn't all been bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: My love/hate relationship with CCM

So the game isn't any better, you've just adapted to it. It's a decent game, but they tried to fix the Franchise mode that was not broken. We paid sixty bucks for the game, let us make it the way we want it.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
So the game isn't any better, you've just adapted to it. It's a decent game, but they tried to fix the Franchise mode that was not broken. We paid sixty bucks for the game, let us make it the way we want it.
No, I clearly said it plays probably the best game of football that I've experienced on the current consoles. I've bought NCAA every year since the mid-1990's and have bought Madden every year up until about 2007. I then quit buying Madden bought still played it because my brother would buy it and then pass it on to me when he was done with it.

I agree with your last sentence and think there is not one single logical explanation that EA could give us on why we can't take an edited roster into CCM and edit everything about a player except ratings (if editing ratings does throw the balance of CCM off). It was obviously a concerted decision and I just don't know what their logic is behind it. Communities just like the one here at OS have been very vocal about the ability to customize and it was something that was actually patched in to one of their NCAA games.

I'm definitely not happy about it, but yeah, I've adapted.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Purchasing a video does not mean you have the right to play the game however you want it. It means that you purchased a license to play however it was designed. Think of it like this...

You buy concert tickets to your favorite band. Those tickets give you a license for the seat that's on the ticket. They DO NOT give you the right to tell the band which songs to play.

We are paying $60 to play EA's game however they want us to play it. Sure we can give suggestions, but we have no right to tell them what to do with their product.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
but they tried to fix the Franchise mode that was not broken.
Weren't people saying after Madden 12 came out that Franchise mode and the overall game were the same old thing and nothing has changed the past 3 years or so? Now we get a brand new game mode where they try to fix the dead Superstar mode and create a different kind of feel to franchise mode. People were tired of the canned animations so they come out with a brand new physics system.

People cry about the game not changing enough, then when a big new idea comes they cry about how it's changed too much. I guess people will cry just for the sake of crying.

Last edited by Calipup; 09-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Rookie

8mileroad's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Purchasing a video does not mean you have the right to play the game however you want it. It means that you purchased a license to play however it was designed. Think of it like this...

You buy concert tickets to your favorite band. Those tickets give you a license for the seat that's on the ticket. They DO NOT give you the right to tell the band which songs to play.

We are paying $60 to play EA's game however they want us to play it. Sure we can give suggestions, but we have no right to tell them what to do with their product.
This is a hilariously flawed thought, and even EA would laugh at it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Rookie

mrclutchimself's Arena

OVR: 1

This is what I'm seeing. Everyone loves the fact that we have something new. Its no longer the same old stuff, and not only can we trade picks online, but we can do a lot that we couldn't last year FA scouting, people with actual draft backgrounds. Like I can know now who won the Heisman, the def player of the yr. I'm 30 years in siming, had a Heisman winner go to the HOF and then his son came in the draft and was even better. But like other people my emotions are colliding, like I love all of that but WTF ea I can't view transactions in league, I can't reset roster online (if I can enlighten me plz) and hell its torture sometimes unrealistic play calls and stats, CPU defense will turn into 85 bears on all madden no logic sometimes. And I can't find out for the life of me how somebody left the room and didn't get smacked out when they said no editing period no custom rosters not even in offline. I mean someone had to be thinking dropkick when that was announced. Its a love hate thing like you said, I can praise the heck outta madden for this masterpeice, but turn around and criticize the things left out . Its an adjustment for everyone because of the 1st year and we are missing things we've been accustom to since we were kids and young adults. Its not just me a lot of ppl feel the same way as you do bro
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mileroad
This is a hilariously flawed thought, and even EA would laugh at it.
A video is a piece of interactive software. Just like any software you purchase, you buy a license to use the software the way it was intended. Any use outside of that is subject to a terms of service violation. Customization at this stage is outside how they intended the game to be played, therefor it can not be done this year. You do not have a right to customize any game you want. The developers have full control and you don't have any say in the matter.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »