Home

GM strategy and tips to help build your franchise

This is a discussion on GM strategy and tips to help build your franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
GM strategy and tips to help build your franchise

Depending on whether you play or sim the games you really need a varied approach to managing different aspects of your CCM.

However, I think there are some key things I've implemented that help build and maintain a strong franchise regardless of your method of progression. Plus, I'd like to hear some of the strategies others are using as well.

If you're playing the games you really need to focus on the scheme-specific attributes when signing players or scouting prospects. Conversely, if you have a CCM that is GM-only (simming all games) then you really must focus on the OVR rating and subsequently other ratings such as AWR to get there.

I have multiple CCM's ongoing at the moment -- some I'm playing others just simming. I utilize the strategies above for the types of players I target, but beyond that it's a very consistent set of rules I follow that bridges both types of CCM styles.

First of all I use a notebook. Good ol' fashioned paper and pen. I do this every year at the end of the offseason. I write down each position, the player rating, player age and years left on the contract.

For example:

QB - 84 (22-4), 78 (21-3), 69 (23-2)
HB - 86 (28-6), etc.

This helps me organize my roster and get a template to work from in the offseason. I also like that I don't have to jump around screens to check ratings, years left, etc.

One of the first things I focus on are the guys who only have one year left on their contract -- the next season being that year. I make one of three decisions.
  • Resign them during the regular season
  • Let them go into free agency with no intent to resign
  • Put them on the trading block
If I try to resign someone and they deny my offer I do one of three things.
  • Let them go to free agency
  • Hope to resign them in free agency
  • Slap them with the franchise tag and hope to renegotiate next year
Instead of just letting guys go who have one year left, I ALWAYS put them on the trading block. They are an asset that is worth something to someone. At the end of the year you will lose that player if you aren't going to resign them. Instead of losing them completely with no return, put them on the block and you may get an offer for draft picks or a key piece.

By trading away players in their last year you are also dumping some of the larger salary hits to free up cap space. Also, remember to check in the financial section how much it would free up in cap space to cut someone. It's actually in the contracts screen after the yearly cap hit. It tells you how much you would free up, how sweet!

Once I've reached free agency I can look again at my piece of paper with my roster written down by rating, age, and years left. I immediately can see one of three things that I need.
  • Immediate Starters (inadequate starters currently)
  • Future Starters (best player at that position is old)
  • Depth (need solid backups)
My first goal is to go after immediate starter needs, then future starters, then depth. That's just how I prioritize it.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I love going by ratings, age, yrs left and NOT names. You can think more business-like when you focus on numbers and not names. Don't get attached to a player. Think of them as assets if you want to build a winner!

After free agency, add your new players to your notebook roster. I like to put their rating, age, yrs on contract and CIRCLE it so I remember it was a FA addition.

Next I move on to scouting. I know what needs I met in Free Agency so I take care of the rest in the Draft. I focus on the specific positions and then sort them by most important to my needs. Again: Starters, Future Starters, and Depth are my priorities. Also, I tend to focus my scouting efforts on projected 1st through 4th/5th round guys. You'll see in a few paragraphs why I don't scout 6/7 round guys heavily.

EDIT (ADDED 9/7/12):
I think I found the best strategy last night using suggestions others have mentioned. If you're going for a high OVR rating, then without a doubt Awareness is THE MOST important thing to scout. Not to mention, it's really cheap to check.

Last night I found a HB with an AWR in the 80s and was tabbed as a 7th round pick. His other attributes were in the 70s and 80s related to being a power runner as well. I scouted his OVR grade and it came as a "B" -- meaning somewhere in the 80s.

Needless to say, I didn't let him slip to the 7th round. I drafted him in the 5th round. His OVR: 85

By the time his rookie season was over he was an 88.

In that same draft I scouted AWR first for everyone and ignored anyone below a C. I prioritized the draft/players based on AWR and was able to draft 3 players with ratings in the 80s, and 4 with ratings in the 70s.

Keep in mind, this is moreso for those that sim games and act as a GM. If you're playing the games, you probably want to focus less on AWR and more on physical attributes.

I draft Starters first, F.S. next, and Depth last.

I make a chart on my notebook with my picks and the positions I want in each round. Then I pick out 2 or 3 guys at each position that I have as my options with each pick AND their projected draft slot.

1 - DT (A. Weaver 1-8, R. Taylor 1-6, T. Miles 1-22)
2 - RT ...

I go pick-by-pick until I've filled all my Starters and Future Starters. Those are VERY important selections.

I cross off names as they are chosen so I can see if I need to trade up or if I can possibly trade down. Maybe my 2nd round pick is the 4th best FS. If two FS are left on the board better than my guy I may trade down and hope I get him in the next round. This doesn't always pan out, but that's part of the fun.

Next, pay close attention to what teams drafting ahead of you have as their position needs! This works to your advantage when trading up and to know if there is a chance for someone to steal the guy you are about to pick! If your guy at RT is the best at his position on the board and you see the team selecting now (3 slots ahead of you) has a need at RT as well, you might want to offer them a trade for one of your backups and/or some draft picks.

I also try to trade away my 6th and 7th round picks when possible. CPU teams value these picks more than you would think when packaged with other players or picks. I rarely find quality guys in the late rounds. The value you get from trading those picks outweighs the worth of the actual guys selected, in my opinion.

One quick note...just as I circled free agents, I now add my draft picks and put a SQUARE around them to stay organized. Not necessary but I think it helps remind me what I drafted if I check back later.

And finally, once you have your players for the year -- do not hesitate to adjust your scheme to fit your players. This is what teams and coaches do in real life. They adjust their scheme to match personnel when necessary. If your QB has a high AWR and low throwing traits, change your QB philosophy to "Field General" and see an OVR boost.

By using all of these tips I've been able to progress some of the bottom feeders in the NFL into strong teams. The change doesn't happen overnight, it usually takes 3 to 5 years to get to a respectable level of consistent .500 play or better. By doing these things though I'm able to keep my team young, I get value out of guys that don't mean anything to me on the field, I build depth, and I keep lots of room for cap space.

Try these out and post your ideas as well. I'm always looking for tips others use.

Last edited by jmik58; 09-07-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Rookie

Juce734's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: GM strategy and tips to help build your franchise

Fantastic legit tips that will help a lot of people I think. I really like the idea of watching the years left and trading based on that to free up cap space.

Currently playing NCAA 2014
PSN: Juce734 website http://www.rpgjuce.com/
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
These are great tips. Just copied them to my iPhone. Thanks.

But you really write the players down? In a notebook?

I just write my needs in my phone and go from there.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

I previous Maddens, I'd fill out my depth in FA and only sign the rookies that will potentially start in 1-3 years. Which this year I can't choose the rookies I sign.

To save CAP, I don't get high priced players in positions on defense. If some FA has 90+ speed and 80+ MCV, I'll sign him over this 80 OVR guy asking for a couple million.

I probably spend my big bucks in QB, OL, and one or two superstar WRs. Everything else, I find one or two attributes in that position I find important then go for the cheapest person I can find with good ratings in those attributes. DL, block shed and tackle. OLB, speed and ZCV. MLB. Pursuit and tackle. FS. Speed and ZCV. SS. Pursuit and hit power. Etc.

You don't need your teams overall rating to be 88 to make the playoffs. Sign cheap and scout smart.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEEKS973
These are great tips. Just copied them to my iPhone. Thanks.

But you really write the players down? In a notebook?

I just write my needs in my phone and go from there.
Each player is just 3 numbers, though... I will vouch that having a notebook for any game with contract negotiations, especially with the largest available roster in football -- is more than a luxury for me, but an absolute necessity.

You can never have too much info at your finger tips, and really this is only 53x3 sets of numbers you are writing down. By the first offseason you shouldn't have to write down the names, you'll know who you have at each position.

And, to the OP: Your post was amazing. I'll try to contribute some tips myself, but your post is a great guide for anyone who would just be starting out a CC and I felt you deserved more credit than just a "like" for it. Thank you!

EDIT: I was re-reading the post and wanted to point out again what I felt was the best tip in there -- about NOT writing down the names on the players. Especially with hometown teams, you are more apt to treat them like a loved one, instead of just an asset. Just wanted to bring that to the attention again of the poster I replied to, because I thought it was a really, really good piece of information towards being successful in video sports franchises.

Last edited by pokerplaya; 09-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Pro

SickDL's Arena

OVR: 8

Really good thread. I always have a note book too. Its easy and fast and always close by. I will use some off these tips. Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Rookie

How do you change the team schemes and PERMANENTLY save them? I am in the middle of my first year with the Falcons but every time I change my coaching schemes it ALWAYS goes right back to the default scheme I started the season with. Must I wait until the season is over to change it or is there a way to change it and have it save the changes?

FYI... I have tried saving it right after making the changes but again it defaults back the following week. Thanks fellas!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plavancha
How do you change the team schemes and PERMANENTLY save them? I am in the middle of my first year with the Falcons but every time I change my coaching schemes it ALWAYS goes right back to the default scheme I started the season with. Must I wait until the season is over to change it or is there a way to change it and have it save the changes?

FYI... I have tried saving it right after making the changes but again it defaults back the following week. Thanks fellas!
I'm pretty sure it will save if you run your franchise online, but won't if it's offline.

BTW, great tips on CC. I do a similar thing where I right down what starters and backups I need before FA, not as in-depth as you though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »