Home

BrianU's Madden NFL 13 CCM Challenge Sliders!!

This is a discussion on BrianU's Madden NFL 13 CCM Challenge Sliders!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
BrianU's Madden NFL 13 CCM Challenge Sliders!!

Hello friends.

Features of these sliders

- What I feel is the perfect balance between Sim gameplay where the ratings matter, along with a solid challenge every game making user choices matter as well.

- Generally low scoring defensive minded games but it is possible to see blowouts and high scoring ones too of course. Depends on the team you are playing against. Every other slider set I felt it too easy to score a TD at will. These sliders are designed so you will go 3 and out, have drives stopped short, turn the ball over and the like. My biggest issue is the CPU defensive play calling is pretty bad which we cannot fix. For example they will send an all out blitz on 3rd and long which you can easily pass and score a TD this set is designed to make that not as easy.

- Challenging USER offense. If you are controlling or playing against an average or below average QB you will see them throw behind the reciever, throw low, throw short, and throw out of bounds. You must mix up your plays and take what the CPU defense gives you. Use your weapons effectively and earn every FG or Touchdown!

- Feel the heat of the CPU offense as you use your entire playbook on defense to shut them down. No play is off limits and minimal house rules. Feel like a boss when you stop them in the red zone.

- Field position is paramount. You do not want to give the CPU a short field it could cost the game for you. Punts have been toned down and special teams/penalties overall has been tweaked according to real NFL averages.

- Fatigue is now a major factor and opens the game. You will see more injuries and fumbles later in the game as you would IRL. You will see accurate subbing of defensive players, I have worked on my own version of auto-subs as I felt every other set has them wrong. I am working on a custom roster that modifies every HB's Stamina rating to give correct RB1/RB2 splits but it's not done yet.

Q&A
What type of Madden gamer are these sliders built for?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I was really amped up to get Madden this year after reading all the impressions. I'm an offline franchise guy so I liked what I read about CCM. I also am the type of gamer who loves to give the CPU an edge so that every game is competitive and I have to focus 100% of my attention to every play call and decision I make. I personally love the defensive side of the ball and calling the right plays to make a stop or hold the other team to a FG feels great. I use the NY Jets so thats a big part of it but i've always enjoyed managing the defense.

These sliders are built with a purpose and designed around a specific play style that I have outlined in the House rules section. If you play different I cannot guarantee your experience to be similar to mine or for the sliders to work well with how you play. These sliders are meant to challenge you and require 100% attention through the entire game. These sliders are meant to make you fear that the CPU's RB can break a big run at any time and make you feel great when you come up with a big defensive stop. Games should be low scoring, in the 20 point range depending on the teams used. Field position is very important to these sliders as well as how you use your timeouts. If you are being driven down the field and your defense is tiring out it is a good idea to burn a timeout and give them a rest. Small things like that are meant to be brought out with these sliders. The settings and house rules listed go hand in hand to create that challenging experience.

The goal of these sliders is to replicate the feeling of playing the game of NFL football from the perspective of a coach and quarterback as interpreted by me. The goal is also to ensure that the ratings of your AI teammates matter. This impacts all areas of CCM and means drafting, free agency, and player progression all matter that much more. Now there is a reason to draft a WR with good hands or a linebacker with good play recognition. I have designed a very specific set of house rules in tandem with the sliders to emphasis decision making. The intention is to push the game to it's limits and require the User playing to devote 100% attention through all phases of the game beginning to end. As an individual playing Madden we do not use the same physical gifts such as running, throwing, or catching that NFL players do but we do share the decision making aspect. These sliders are for smart players who want the biggest challenge and to feel like they are in control of a team on the field.

I have experimented since the game was released and have developed and refined many theorys to establish my playing style. I feel this set brings something new to the table and is very unlike anything else on the forum, when using my playing style. Sliders are very specific to each playing style and I can promise if you play the way I do you will have a great experience. I have listed exactly how I play in the House rules section, and while it is a big read it is just as important as the numbers the sliders use.

Offensively I determined after much playing that while I love the responsiveness and ability that Total Control Passing gives you to place the football, it actually is quite cheesy and makes the game far too simple. Even with QB Accuracy as low as 4 if you use Total Control Passing with any quarterback you can have as much control over the pass as Tom Brady on his best day, every game. Ratings become irrelevant. To me this is wrong and therefore I have designed the USER Passing around NOT using Total Control Passing. Stop using Total Control Passing and suddenly you are forced to use the strengths of your quarterback. I also do not manually catch passes or control yards after the catch. It may seem like imposing all these limits on yourself will make the game boring but I have found the opposite; it makes it more dynamic and realistic. In the past I could drive up the field at will, hit the same receiver on the same route and never feel the pressure of going 3 and out. Now when I use my playing style I have developed I feel like I am a field general running the offense, checking down, conciously asking myself if this throw is a good one or a bad one, and what I think will result from the pass. The ratings matter for every player. If I pass short on 3rd and 4 I must make sure my receiver has room in front of him to secure the first down, as well as if he is a player with high awareness. If you manually catch or use Total Control Passing these factors become irrelevant. My best memory of the NFL is Super Bowl XXXIV where the Titans lost to the Rams via a wrap up tackle 1 yard from the end zone. This is a small example of what a quarterback must consider every throw. Will my player have enough space to get to the first down marker or endzone if I throw him this pass? With these set you also must consider all your options, including throwing the ball away. There is no outside assistance guiding your players its strictly ratings and your own IQ.

================================================

And now on to the sliders!

* Credit to MarketingWiz for base set *
WORK IN PROGRESS
Changes:
N/A

Settings:
Offline CCM
All-Madden
Assign the generic playbooks to your CPU opponent using a second controller at the matchup screen to get more realistic run/pass ratios as well as less predicable CPU play calling:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...fline-ccm.html

15 minutes
15 second Accelerated Clock

Player Progression Frequency End of the season

Auto-Strafe On
Auto-Sprint On

Injuries 49
Fatigue 68

Game Speed Slow
Min Player Speed Threshold 75

Offensive playing style:
Do not use Total Control Passing (Do not touch left stick when pressing receiver button to throw to)
You are allowed to and it's highly recommended for realism that you auto-catch and auto-run after the catch (This means after you press the receiver button do not press anything else just let the play develop.)
AskMadden playcalling with 1 hot route per play
Sending man in motion allowed but do not snap the ball if the man in motion is behind your offensive line wait till he goes past the far side OT
Only adjust the offensive line blocking on run plays. Do not set the line to Pinch on passing plays. This is to let the USER Pass Block slider determine the amount of time you have to pass.

Only the following offensive audibles:
- You are allowed to audible into a run from a passing play anytime
- You are only allowed to audible into a passing play from a running play if AskMadden gave you 3 running plays to choose from and you want to pass. Do not audible into a pass play if you already choose a pass play with AskMadden. If you do audible to a passing play only use the quick options (Quick pass or Deep pass). Do not assign any passing plays to your personal audibles
- You are allowed to audible into a play action pass from a run anytime but try to limit yourself to play action to 25% of your total plays at the most
- For your personal audibles set one draw play, one screen play, and 3 play action plays

Defensive playing style:
Conventional playcalling with no switching after the snap
No run/pass commit
No moving a player if you switch them to a blitzing assignment
Everything else allowed including switching assignments, shifting players/line, double teaming a receiver, shading a receiver and anything else. I regularly spread the D-Line if I am sure they are passing and narrow it if I am sure they are running the ball inside
Feel free to call a run blitz anytime, in fact to stop the CPU running game you will have to on those short situations. There is risk and reward to every situation

Special teams
Do not manually control any player on the field after the ball is kicked off or punted. Let the ratings play out to determine yardage not stick skills or spin moves

Do not aim the arrow on field goals 40 yards or longer. Leave it where it is and use the right stick only to kick. This will make you have to use the right stick to aim and is actually quite fun/challenging

Misc.
Do not take control of any of your players if a fumble or interception occurs for either team. Allow the ratings to take over for the remainder of that play

Gameplay Sliders:
USER Passing
QB Accuracy -------------------- 3
Pass Blocking ------------------- 12
WR Catching -------------------- 50

USER Rushing
Broken Tackles ------------------ 3
Run Blocking -------------------- 0
Fumbles ------------------------ 5

USER Pass Defense
Pass Defense Reaction Time ----- 30
Interceptions ------------------- 20
Pass Rushing ------------------- 0

USER Rush Defense
Rushing Defense Reaction Time --- 35
Block Shedding ------------------ 0
Tackling ------------------------- 0

*** If you are controlling any of the following QB's bump USER QB Accuracy up to 5: Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Brady, Peyton Manning, Rivers, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Schaub, Stafford
--------------------

CPU Passing
QB Accuracy -------------------- 5
Pass Blocking -------------------- 22
WR Catching -------------------- 55

CPU Rushing
Broken Tackles ------------------ 8
Run Blocking -------------------- 55
Fumbles ------------------------- 5

CPU Pass Defense
Pass Defense Reaction Time ------ 0
Interceptions -------------------- 37
Pass Rushing -------------------- 0

CPU Rush Defense
Rushing Defense Reaction Time --- 80
Block Shedding ------------------ 3
Tackling ------------------------- 5

*** If you are playing against any of the following QB's bump CPU QB Accuracy up to 7: Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Brady, Peyton Manning, Rivers, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Schaub, Stafford

Special Teams Sliders:
FG Power ------ 54
FG Accuracy --- 46
Punt Power ---- 35
Punt Accuracy - 72
Kickoff Power -- 53

Penalty Sliders:
Offside --------------------- 100
False Start ----------------- 1
Holding --------------------- 54
Face Mask ------------------ 55
Defensive Pass Interference - 99
Offensive Pass Interference - 25
Punt Catch Interference ----- 25
Clipping --------------------- 33
Intentional Grounding -------- 50
Roughing Passer ------------- 54
Roughing Kicker ------------- 25

Auto-Subs:
Setup in CCM format In/Out

Offense
QB 2/0
HB 76/70
WR 20/15
FB/TE 12/7
OL 2/0

Defense
DT 16/12
DE 16/12
LB 10/6 in a 3-4 D
LB 4/1 in a 4-3 D
CB 6/2
S 6/2

Note** I use my own custom CCM roster where I have lowered the HB's Stamina ratings. It is advised that you lower your RB1 Stamina rating to around 78 for a 90/10 split, 76 for an 75/25 split, 74 for a 60/40 split or 72 for a 50/50 split. I want to put out a roster where every HB in the game uses these stamina levels as it fixes the autosub HB issues and you see HB actually sub in properly combined with the above HB auto-sub but it would be a lot of work.

Status report:
More stars equals more satisfied with the gameplay on a scale of 1 to 5. (1 not satisfied and 5 very satisfied)

9/25/12
USER Passing/CPU Pass Defense *****
N/A

USER Rushing/CPU Rush Defense *****
N/A

CPU Passing/USER Pass Defense *****
N/A

CPU Rushing/USER Rush Defense *****
N/A

Special Teams *****
I did my own research and think they work out perfect according to averages and make field position matter. Punts are kicked for 45 yards and returned for 10 yards on average.

Penalties *****
About as good as Madden will allow. The goal is to have each team get 50 penalty yards per game and that seems to be the case.

Auto-Subs *****

2012 NFL Statistic Averages (Per team):
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stats/

Plays per game (64)
Time of possession (30:00)

Points scored per game (22)
Total yards per game (335)
Yards per play (5.5)
First downs per game (20)
Third down conversion (38%)
Fourth down conversion (40%)

2012 NFL Team Passing play percentages: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct
Quarterback passer rating (82)
Quarterback completion percentage (60%)
Passing yards per game (230)
Passing attempts (34)
Passing yards per attempt (6.5)
Passing play percentage (58%)

2012 NFL Team Rushing play percentages: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct
Rushing yards per game (120)
Rushing attempts (27)
Rushing yards per attempt (4.2)
Rushing play percentage (42%)

Sacks per game (2.5)
Interceptions per game (1)
Fumbles per game (1.5)
Turnovers per game (1.5)

Net punt yards per game (200)
Average punt length yards (45)
Average punt return yards (11)
Kickoff touchback percentage (46%)
Average kickoff return yards (24)

Penalties per game (6)
Penalty yards per game (50)

Box scores:
Coming soon.

Operation Sports NFL Box scores tool
http://dynasties.operationsports.com...id=1&sport=nfl

Controls:
I always forget the controls you don't use as often so here are some important ones.

Offense

Pre-play
Send Man-in-motion - Tap B to toggle players then move left stick left or right
Hot route player to block - Tap Y, select player with button then LT to block left or RT to block right

During play
Throw ball away - Push right stick down
Pump fake - Tap LB or hold LB + receiver button
Abort play action - Press RT
Switch ball carrier hands - Tap A
Pitch ball to teamate - Tap LB
Cover ball - Hold RB

Post play
Hurry-Up offense - Hold Y
Hurry-Up spike ball - Hold B

Defense

Pre-play
Switch players - Hold B and use left stick to switch to players
Defensive hot route - Tap A
Defensive line shifts - Tap LB
Linebacker shifts - Tap RB
Secondary audibles - Tap Y
Total defense shift - Hold LT and press left stick left, right, up or down
Receiver spotlight - Tap Y, press A, press button of receiver then press A
Double coverage - While on selected defensive player you want to play man coverage with tap A, then right stick down and tap button of the receiver to cover
Shading - Tap Y, press A, press button of the receiver to shade then press left stick left or right

During play
Strafe (square shoulders to ball/player with ball for better chance of INT or tackle) - Hold LT
Bump receiver - Hold RB and run into receiver near the line of scrimmage
Swat ball - Hold RB when ball is in the air
Intercept ball - Hold Y when ball is in the air
Strip ball - Tap LB when near the ball carrier

Last edited by BrianU; 09-01-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Pro

Bull_Market's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: BrianU's Madden NFL 13 CCM Challenge Sliders!!

Will post my findings later. Thanks for this.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I am gonna try these out when I finish watching this episode of breaking bad. It's funny I was thinking about putting user pass d reaction back to 50 as well.

I would like to think that with all our combined efforts and ideas we can get ccm to play like it should, and hopefully EA will step up and help us with that too

Nice write up, I will try it out and tell you what I find

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
MVP

BrianU's Arena

I have been testing more and I truly think I am on to something here.. I don't want to overreact but its little things that make me believe CCM can be made better.

For example using the above settings in Week 1 Jets (Me) vs Bills the following scenario happened. Jackson runs for 2 yard gain. 2nd and 8 CPU chooses a 3 WR formation I think they will be passing so I choose a Quarters Man defense. They end up running Fred Jackson for a 4 yard gain.

This may not seem like much but the fact that they ran the ball on 2nd and long after choosing a 3 WR formation is something that DOES NOT happen when you have USER Pass Reaction Defense on 80 and are in All-Madden difficulty. Ryan Fitzgerald is deadly accurate with the passes on these settings so its not like that is suffering either, and that can be tweaked easily. I am seeing them use good amounts of play action and audibles as well which is also something they don't do on All-Madden/80 Pass Defense Reaction.

The CPU is doing a good job with runs up the middle but they pick runs to the outside too much than I want them to and aren't as effective with those. I am thinking Game Speed on Normal or Fast would help them with that but not sure how it would affect runs up the middle which I like right now.

I believe that USER Pass Defense Reaction around 50 is giving good results and perhaps all we need is to move it a few numbers either way to see a difference. I would like to try 55 later but for now 50 is where we should test it for comparison sake

Edit: Another example. I just punted to the Bills they have it on the 20. 1st and 10 they call a 4 WR formation I am expecting pass obviously so I choose a man defense with enough DBs to cover which opens me up to the run. They run the ball with Fred Jackson although he only gains 3 yards it's the logic that is most important.

Edit 2: I am seeing Fitzpatrick react to my defense and call audibles then hitting the open receiver. If I guess wrong I give up big yardage I really like what I am seeing from their play call logic.

Edit 3: On the flip side they also pass out of the 2 RB 2 WR formation. If I was on All-Madden and 80 USER Pass Defense I guarantee that would have been a 2 yard run aten by my run blitz but instead I wasn't sure what they were going to do and they passed on 2nd and 9.

Last edited by BrianU; 09-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
MVP

BrianU's Arena

Something else to keep in mind for CCM and that I want to experiment with. Right now with this setup I purposely have the USER sliders in USER Pass Defense going above 75 combined so it is on All-Pro level, matching the setting of All-Pro and making the kick meter go All-Pro speed. I wonder how things would change if I set for example Interceptions to 25, making the sliders for that section combine to 75 and giving the fast kick meter and enabling the auto-pursuit A button.

(I think thats how it works my numbers might be off if im wrong then sorry but you know what I mean.. Leaving the setting on All-Pro but having the USER sliders be set to All-Madden level. I wonder if that would affect the AI logic one way or the other.)

Last edited by BrianU; 09-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Something else to keep in mind for CCM and that I want to experiment with. Right now with this setup I purposely have the USER sliders in USER Pass Defense going above 75 combined so it is on All-Pro level, matching the setting of All-Pro and making the kick meter go All-Pro speed. I wonder how things would change if I set for example Interceptions to 25, making the sliders for that section combine to 75 and giving the fast kick meter and enabling the auto-pursuit A button.

(I think thats how it works my numbers might be off if im wrong then sorry but you know what I mean.. Leaving the setting on All-Pro but having the USER sliders be set to All-Madden level. I wonder if that would affect the AI logic one way or the other.)
This is exactly what I was about to test right now. Haha! I'm telling you the INT slider has a huge affect on the coverage which might help the CPU out somewhat..
Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
MVP

BrianU's Arena

2nd and inches, 4 WR formation they run the ball for a 6 yard gain.

I feel from play testing just my defense that they may run the ball a LITTLE too much and can be predictable from that aspect. A slight increase between one to five points of USER Pass Reaction Defense may help them be even less predictable but this is working out great don't wanna change anything yet would like to see other peoples thoughts.

Edit: Sorry but I love the way the CPU Bills are calling plays. They have it on the 30ish yard line, 2nd and 9. 4 WR formation I have my D spread out they run the ball with C.J. Spiller for 11 yards. CJ is lighting me up. This brings up another problem I believe that Speed/agility RBs perform better for the CPU than power backs and the Bills are a perfect example to see that. Fred Jackson is using the trucking move and its much less effective than Spiller's juking. That could contribute to the problem of CPU rushing yards as well and more than likely needs EA to patch.

Last edited by BrianU; 09-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
MVP

BrianU's Arena

The gameplay I am seeing in this Week 1 Jets vs Bills online CCM game is that the CPU offense is really taking what I give them. Seeing audibles and moving the ball nicely. Still not running it as great as Play Now and outside runs they get killed but I think it can be improved through Game Speed and Min Player Speed Threshold as well as a few slider settings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »