Home

My JaMarcus Russell Comeback Saga

This is a discussion on My JaMarcus Russell Comeback Saga within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Rookie

Desalbert's Arena

OVR: 1
My JaMarcus Russell Comeback Saga

Redemption Attempt #1: JaMarcus Russell

((Hey everyone, this thread will be dedicated to my attempt to revive the career of JaMarcus Russell in Madden 13's Connected Careers mode. I created him as a 27 year old Strong Arm QB who is undrafted (To reflect his depreciated attributes and career overthe years, not his former rd1 pick 1 standing). I then used Microsoft Excell to randomize between 1 of 32 teams who would bring in Russell from off his coach, and ended up, somewhat interestingly with the Baltimore Ravens. So what follows is Russell's attempt atcomeback, straight as it happens with my control [I should note I'm playing on customized all-madden sliders that I find difficult but fair.] ))

The Saga of JaMarcus Russell

---

First signing--Summer 2012-- Baltimore Ravens. >

After a disaster of a career as the top pick of the Oakland Raiders wherein Russell was burned alive under the intense heat of media scrutiny and rightfully persecuted for his poor play, Russell has finally found a new home. Years away from Football, the maligned JaMarcus Russell has signed a contract with the Baltimore Ravens, who know that though all the odds are stacked against the league's most notorious bust, still feel like he has the skills to learn andplay well in their offense.

John Harbaugh had this to say about the signing of Russell:

"Well, I know not many are going to have seen it coming, and we know that he has a lot of things to learn and a long way go. That said, we feel he has a special skill set-- thekind of thing that doesn't come along often, and we think we develop him, and over-time, help him become the player he knows he can be."

Of course, while Jamarcus cannot expect to overtake franchise favourite, Joe Flacco, he can learn from him. Flacco is renowned for his big arm, as was JaMarcus-- If Joe can tutour Russell regarding the finer points of utilizing one's arm and knowing when to take some off of it at this level, the fit could be a good one. Some would say too, that Flacco might well need to teach Russell about being a professional. One of the biggest knocks on Russell throughout his ill-fated Raiders tenure was his lack of focus and professionalism that found expression in a number of important circumstances.

Harbaugh believes that all may be behind JaMarcus, and that he's fully able to mentally take on the difficulty of a comeback.

Russell Agrees.

"Absolutely. It's all behind me. The Codeine. The weight problems. I'm ready to right my wrongs. Ready to clear my name. But first thing's first. I have to learn to play in this league again. Be a backup. Contribute to the team. I do have to say it's good to be back in Purple again though" Russell ended with a smile, and that final homage to his college alma mater, LSU.

Russell has been pegged as the pre-season backup for the Ravens and is expected to see the field throughout the pre-season.

First Practice Notes-- Coming in Hot.

Jamarcus Russell, the infamous #2 took to the practice field for the Ravens for the first time this year. Reporters noted that Russell had a good day of practice, and successfully guided the team to a scrimmage win in a simulated 3 minute drill environment. They did also note howeverthat Russell's armstrength was at times far too powerful, as receivers dropped 3 balls.

"He did good" Coach Harbaugh said of Russell at practice. "He gave a good effort and lead the team in the scrimmage likewe asked. He does not to learn to put some touch on his throws though so receivershave a better chance to make a play on the ball. He knows that"

Russell was not given an interview or media session afterpractice. Typical for a backup. Something new for JaMarcus.

Pre-season Week 1--Baltimore Ravens versus Atlanta Falcons.

After Flacco's duties in the first quarter saw the Ravenstake a 10-3 lead, JaMarcus Russell entered the game for his first action since the end of the 2009 season. This time, Russell comes into the NFL unharalded.

Russell preformed adequately to start the game, and found a rhythm early on going 4/5 for 50 yards, though both of his initial drives failed to secure points.

From that early success, Russell began to show his rust and struggled. He took 2 consecutive sacks to end the 2nd quarter, and tossed an interception on a poor throw to rookie WR Tommie Streeter.

Russell ended the game unceremoniously. His tenure failed toproduce any Ravens' points, and though he had a good completion percentage of 58% he tossed 2 total interceptions.

Russell also had a good run in which he broke two tackles and ploughed for the first down, but the powerful run by the 6'6 260 pound Russell was negated by a hold.

The game ended 20-10 For the Falcons.

Russell's stat line is as follows:

7 of 12 for 67 yards, 0 TD's to 2 Interceptions with a long throw of 14 yards and one run for 6 yards. Russell also took 4 sacks.

He clearly has a lot of rust to shake off. John Harbaugh admitted as much, but wanted to focus on Russell's positives before speaking about his need to get rid of the ball sooner and make better decisions.

Russell Tweeted after the game:

@JRuss2 God is good. Glad to be back. Lots of work to do. Get better each week. Yea, God is good. #Ravensup2012>

Russell will look to improve his decision making and thespeed of those decisions as he heads into practice and remains the backupagainst the Lions in Preseason game 2.

Up-Next: Russell hopes to put in a better showing against Detroit as he remains the backup andis expected to get similar playing time as the first week.>

[[I will update this often and likely edit the main post,it's been fun to try to bring JaMarcus back already, especially because it'sbeen difficult. I didn't expect to be playing much, but the Ravens haveJaMarcus slated as a the backup due to his skills in the system. Apparently he's 77 overall as a strong arm undrafted guy in the Ravens offense. Lucky for that! I'll hope to also link highlightssaved on madden/posted to easportsworld]].

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy it as we go along!
---
Week 2-- Practice Notes

JaMarcus struggled in practice after his 2 INT showing against the Falcons. Coaches were mum on the subject but only added that they would like Russell to show more improvement than he did in the practice.

Pre-season Week 2-- Detroit Lions at Baltimore Ravens

After Joe Flacco lead the Ravens to a 9-0 lead over thevisiting Lions, Harbaugh called Russell's number.

Immediately, Russell seemed to struggle with the same issuesas he had the previous game, including decision-making speed and screen pass execution. On his first drive, Harbaugh reportedly promised to test Russell's improvement, noting that he would call a screen pass and that it would need to be executed flawlessly against a backup Detroit line that still exuded ferocity and contained at least Nick Fairly as a starter. Unfortunately for Russell, the line proved too much, and he was sacked twice on his first drive, including on the promised screen pass by who else,Nick Fairly.

Harbaugh addressed the moment briefly: "Absolutely. Itold him to be ready to call and execute the play (Screen). I told him it wouldn't be easy, and I told him I expected to see it done right. It wasn't. He wentdown. We'll fix it in practice this week. Line has to do better, but he(Russell) knows he needs to also."

Russell still showed a bit of struggle with his velocity aswell, throwing two passes that were so fast, they simply bounced of backup TE Dennis Pitta's hands.

From these early struggles however, Russell would show some moxy-- a change in form for himself, wherein he would usually fall into a shell from his days in Oakland.

In the 3rd quarter, the Ravens were still up by 9, and , JaMarcus, stringing together a few good throws lead the team on a field-goal drive, going up 12-0.

The Lions would respond back nearly immediately, being behind 12-7. Afterward, while Russell was ready to get back to work, his 2nd showing was put on hold when Ladarius Webb took a kickoff back 91 yards for a score. Afterward, the Lions responded again, and the total was at 19-14.

Here, in the fourth quarter, Russell made a big mistake. Looking to connect with Dennis Pitta and get their chemistry right, Russell missed seeing a hawking Amar'e Spievey, who nabbed the pass and returned it 5 yards.

On Russell's mistake, the Ravens went down for the firsttime in the game with only 15 seconds left.

Once again though, Russell would rise to the challenge, and complete a Ravens victory with a beautiful hail-mary pass to Ray Rice, who was able to get slightly behind two second string defenders. Russell rainbow'd the pass in a way that his LSU tape always promised he could, and he hit Rice instride, who would simply out-run his persuers for an 80 yard score. With 3seconds left on the clock, Russell had secured his first touchdown pass since 2009, and a Ravens win.

Russell said of the key play:

"I seen Ray, I knew he had a step on them guys, so I just let it go." Russell said. "Just gotta trust it. Trust ray, trust y'arm,--have faith. And I did that. And we got the win. Feels good"

Russell hardly had a perfect game with a final statline reading of:

6 of 15 for 157 yards for 1 Touchdown and 1 interception. That of course includes his 80 yard strike. He had a QB ating of 73.4 and a completion percentage of 40. Well-belowaverage. He also ran for 10 yards on 2 carries. He once again took 4 sacks.

Though Harbaugh was quick to note that Russell needs a lot of work, especially in his consistancy, speed of decisions, and ability to evade sacks and turnovers, he made sure to give Jamarcus Russell one of 3 gameballs, to commemorate his first touchdown since 2009.

Russell was moved by the gesture.

"It's just pre-season. I'm not where I could be. But for coach to recognize the score and you know...give me that honour is great.Felt great"

The Ravens will take on the Jaguars next week.

---

NEW CONTENT: Pre-season WEEK 3

Week 3 Practice

Russell has seen better days than his practice this week,though he has also seen worse. We expected JaMarcus to be full of confidence following his end-of-game heroics to win last week's pre-season game, but he appeared to be slouching. Nothing spectacular to report, except to note that Russell threw an INT in a simulated 2 minute drill with his offense down by 6.

Pre-season week 3: Baltimore Ravensversus Jacksonville Jaguars

As expected, Russell entered the game against the Jaguars atthe end of the first quarter, and as promised, he saw a lot of work. Russell's start against Jacksonville had his Ravens down 10 points, and Russell himself started poorly. He seemed too quick to attempt to run after his first and second read on his opening possesion and was not succesful in those runs either. As such, Russel took one sack attemptng to shake off a defender, and he was tackled for a 1 yard gain before the Ravens had to punt.

Follwing that first series, Russell's Ravens still down by 10, Jamarcus began to pick up his play, finding Dennis Pitta twice on short throws that payed nice dividens. Though not demanding on Russell, it was a positive to see him read those checkdowns and find them under pressure. One throw to Pitta went for 40 yards on only a 4 yard throw. A testament more to Pitta than Russell, but I'm sure coach Harbaugh will take it.

At one point, Russell looked good. He was 6/8 for 103 yards and lead the Ravens to a Field-goal and within 7 points of a tie.

Then, things began to unravel.

First, Russell seemed to revert to his first possession problems, and took 2 more sacks while looking to run. He's clearly not as atheletic as he believes he is, or as he used to be, and it showed today.

Next, Russell had a great degree of difficulty linking up with 2nd team starter Tandon Doss, overthrowing him by 15 yards on one play, and then,u nderthrowing him the next.

Worse yet, Russell still seemed to struggle with his touch,firing balls that were simply too hard to catch, and resulted in drops upon being hit just afterward-- even for Veteran WR Anquan Boldin.

Things went further south however as the game wore on. Russell's line failed to protect him, but he himself seemed timid, and as though he was paying too much attention to the pass rush. On one play, reacting to that rush, Russellrolled right and threw an ill-advised pass that was intercepted while underpressure. Two more balls fell out of Russell's hands as incompletions from pressure, and another pressure amounted to a sack and fumble on Russell that was recovered by the offense.

Doss was left wanting this week, after he and Russell couldn't connect.

To sink Russell further, WR Tandon Doss ran a deep hook-- a relatively simple pattern-- and, with position on the DB, Russell needed onlyt o fit the ball in. Instead, he threw a terrible pass far to the left of Doss that was intercepted. It was certainly Russell's poorest pass of the pre-season, and one that finalized his struggles against the Jaguars. He has a long way to go.

John Harbaugh wished to make no comment on Russell beyond saying that he would remain the backup, and that he knows he has some things towork on-- many things.

The Ravens lost the game 17-3.

Russell's final statline was

8 of 22 for 141 yards a 36% completion, 2 INT for a A QB Rating of 21.2 and a 6.4 average (as well as a 40 yard long). He also ran 3 times for 12 yards, fumbled once, and was sacked 6 times.

This surely marked Russell's worse performance so far, andshows that he still struggles with the speed of the game, as well as in makingproper decisions. He has also struggled with honing his abilities so that theycan be used in the most efficient manner.

Russell will, however, remain the back up for week 4, thefinal week of the pre-season and his last chance to get a good week of work in,before he takes a back seat for the rest of the season.

NEW CONTENT: Pre-season WEEK 4

Week 4 Practice

Russell was sighted in practice, briefly involved in a situational drill that required his offense to score with 4 minutes remaining. The drill did not go well. Russell promptly threw an interception to a lurking free-safety and then, as has been plaguing him of late, he threw another INT on a curl-route. His reads seemed poor all practice, and he could be seen talking to Ravens Quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell. Caldwell did not appear pleased.

Week 4 Pre-season: Baltimore Ravens versus St. Louis Rams

The Rams took on the Ravens in St. Louis tonight, and if the last 2 weeks had been Russell's worst showings as a pro on a comeback mission (both last week's game and the practice before and after were dreadful) the game against the Rams proved to be his best of the pre-season.

Russell seemed to be in top form after a long individual meeting with Quarterback Coach Jim Caldwell after a rickety pre-game practice.

Against the Rams, Russell saw the field in the 2nd quarter once again, and lead the team down field for a score after several smart throws for short yardage and a number of well executed run plays by the entire team. To cap his first drive, Russell hit emerging favourite Dennis Pitta on a short drag route for 4 yards that brought him past the goal-line for a score.

Next, after the Rams had been stopped by the Ravens D, Russell found himself at his own 6. In the low moment of the game for him, he took another sack (common this pre-season) that was nearly a Safety. Yet, rebounding from this low, Jamarcus was given another chance. He dropped back into his own endzone, scanned the field,and just before taking a massive shot that levelled him into the endzone, let a beautiful ball go down the sideline to a streaking Tommie Streeter. The Ball hit Streeter in-stride, right alongside the sideline, and he was able to take it the distance on pure speed, for a 93 yard score. Jamarcus was seen on his knees, pointing to the sky from the endzone in which he took the blow, seemingly thanking whatever power may be for the successful play, and, what would end up being a great game for Russell overall.

He did show some weakness still struggling with pressure. Espcially, on one play Russell was flushed to the right, and while he and his Dennis Pitta'schemistry has been developing, Russell simply could not make the short yardageplay on the move, and missed Pitta by a wide margin.

These things aside, Russell also performed well in mop up duties, and he was interestingly made to arun a few more curl route plays, given his major struggles with them thispre-season. He ran them well, and finishedt he day with a healthy statline, his best to date, that read:

7 of 12 for 161 yards, 58% and 2 TD's with 13.4 yard average. He had that 93 yard longscore of note, and finished with an admirable QB rating of 142.3

Russell was given a game ball for his performance on the day, and he spoke briefly to the media

"That last week. Man, that last week was an embarassment to me. I knew I had to play better. Knew I had to practice better. I knew I could, but, youknow, when you're around a guy like Joe(Flacco), bein' the competitive guy he is, you just know he's always gonnabring his best. You know he knows how to get back up after fallin' or...afterpeople be down on him or whatever... so that rubs off. I'm learning to... have pride in my game.Pride in my play. And sometime, though God says pride goeth before a fall...sometime, pride can help you fight backwith all you got afta the fall, know what I mean?"

End of Pre-season

It was an up and down summer for Russell. Coming off the couch, he was lucky to land with the Ravens who understand just how rare his skills can be, but he's guarenteed nothing going forward. He is, as far as we know, slated to be the backup, and his final performance of the pre-season probably nailed that fact in, even if he played poor prior.

Now, Russell will feel what it's like to be a true backup in the NFL. It's quite likely there won't be a lot to talk about in terms of his own play, but we'll be keeping tabs on Russell, his practices, and his thoughts as weeks go on. If he plays, and when his team plays, you'll find some analysis here throughout the season.

Now, we find out how Russell's pride will fair, being a truebackup.

JaMarcus Russell's Final summarized Pre-season statline is as follows:

Through 4 weeks Russell amassed 526 yards, 3 TDs, and 5 INTs. He threw for a 58.5 QB rating, and went 28 for 61 (45%). He was sacked a tremendous 16 times (speaking to the tardiness of his decision making). He threw for a 93 yard long, and also ran for 24 yards on 8 carries with a 7 yardlong.

There is much room to improve for Russell.

NEXT: WEEK 1 REGULAR SEASON.

-- Thanks for sticking with me this far, the hope is that I will find a way to make these days interesting going forward, but I may be only able to offer tidbits as I motor through a season as a backup (guessing it won't take long.) Fromj here, anything is possible, and the comeback attempt (success or failure) will really start to take shape.

2012 REGULAR SEASON: Baltimore Ravens

Week 1: Cinncinatti @ Baltimore:

Under the guidance of Ray Rice and Joe Flacco, the Ravens surged to a 34-17 lead over the Bengals by the first half of week 1's game. However, that lead started to look precarious once Green Ellis notched a 22 yard touchdown run, followed by a 70 yard punt return by Brandon Tate. This put the Bengals down by 3. The Ravens sputtered here as Flacco threw a pick, which lead to another Green Ellis score and a sudden Bengals lead with only a minute and a half remaining. Fired up as usual, the Ravens took it to the Bengals in this final stretch, and at one point, were faced with 4th and inches with 50 seconds left. They elected to run, and converted. Even more of a shock however, would be that the Ravens would elect to run again with just 15 seconds left, and Ray Rice Rumbled for a 44 yard unthinkable game-ending score. John Harbaugh has guts, or a case of insanity. Either way, Ray Rice sealed the game on a last unthinkable play. The Ravens won 41-38.

The Russell Report (week 1): Jamarcus had a good week of practice, connecting for two touchdowns in scrimmage. He only saw the field as a place holder in week 1.

He did tweet after the game however: @JRuss2: My man Joe is so cool and collected-- Told ya'll he know howta fight back-- RayRice a monsta! 203 yards onna ground and dying seconds TD #NFLDRAMA #Ravens2012

Houston Rockets
Buffalo Sabres
Army

Commissioner of TBFL Madden on OS http://www.operationsports.com/forums/tbfl/

TBFL Colts
Year 1: 9-7-0 (No playoffs)

Last edited by Desalbert; 09-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: My JaMarcus Russell Comeback Saga

Awesome! Always name my fantasy teams after Jamarcus.

Nice to see a fellow Browns fan with a sense of humor.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Awesome... Simply Awesome.... this is the type of Tale that CCM is meant to weave
Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionhammer
Awesome... Simply Awesome.... this is the type of Tale that CCM is meant to weave
Yeah i agree, it was fun, OP wrote the fiction really well.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Hilarious, can't wait for more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Rookie

rockit's Arena

OVR: 3

Great read!!

Almost thought for a moment there JaMarcus really was back in the league, LOL!

I might have Jake Plummer return to the NFL. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6

lol I love stuff like...........In our Online Franchise leagues we used to do stuff like this on the website. We used to have a section for team blogs and we would create our own stories for the year with new Draft Picks, off seasons moves, and games played through out the year. Great write up can't wait to hear more about the come back
"For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." -Emmitt Smith
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

They should make a separate forum for stories like this, so they don't get lost in the shuffle

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »