Home

Why use the Franchise Tag?

This is a discussion on Why use the Franchise Tag? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

ajtickle's Arena

OVR: 1
Why use the Franchise Tag?

Just wondering if I should be using this feature in my franchise mode in Madden 12, but I'm not sure in what circumstances I should use it? Why not just re-sign my players at the end of the year as normal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Rookie

edjames01's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why use the Franchise Tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtickle
Just wondering if I should be using this feature in my franchise mode in Madden 12, but I'm not sure in what circumstances I should use it? Why not just re-sign my players at the end of the year as normal?
This isn't like Madden 12. If your player wants to test the FA, your only option to keep them is to give them the tag. Of course it might kill your cap (like in the real NFL)
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

OVR: 6

In Madden 12 or any other Madden for that matter, I never had problems re-signing people so the tag was useless. I'm hoping that in Madden 13 this changes and some players refuse to re-sign, and you have to use the franchise tag. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Rookie

ajtickle's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjames01
This isn't like Madden 12. If your player wants to test the FA, your only option to keep them is to give them the tag. Of course it might kill your cap (like in the real NFL)
Sorry, I was talking about my Madden 12 franchise :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
In Madden 12 or any other Madden for that matter, I never had problems re-signing people so the tag was useless. I'm hoping that in Madden 13 this changes and some players refuse to re-sign, and you have to use the franchise tag. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly the same for me. Not entirely sure about the Franchise Tag rules though, so I'm not sure if maybe it would free up some cap space or something by placing someone on the franchise tag, rather than just giving them a big contract?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Rookie

riggs6taters's Arena

You utilize the franchise tag on a player you may not want to sign long term but want to keep for at least another season. Say you have a 27 year old DE that hasnt hit his potential just yet but preforms decently every season since he was drafted. You don't want to reward him with a big contract in fear that he'll never be the guy you wanted starting for you so slap the tag on him and give him a year to prove himself worthy of a bigger contract.

The tag is a 1 year deal that pays the player an average of the top 5 at his position. It's a lot of money for one year most of the time but it also makes the player very tradeable since there is no bonuses involved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Rookie

riggs6taters's Arena

For example in my Bucs season when I pick up M13 in my first off-season I have a pretty good feeling I'll put the tag on Aqib Talib. Unless he has an all-pro season of course. Im just not sold he is the long term answer for my Bucs secondary so I'll tag him and maybe try to trade into a high draft pick for a top rated CB. If that doesn't work out I'll have a pretty good CB for at least one more season.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Yes and no. The franchise tag causes a high salary, which can create issues with the cap of that season, but the franchise tag has no signing bonus. If you sign a guy to a long term deal, with a signing bonus, then trading that player can be a cap nightmare with the huge cap penalty. If you intend to trade a player whose contract is expiring, tagging him may be better than signing him to a longterm deal, so you have flexibility to trade him.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Rookie

Gronkanador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut88
I believe i read somewhere that if you low ball someone you are trying to re-sign they will refuse to sign with you, so maybe this year the tag will actually come in handy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »