Home

2012 New College Rule Changes (What are you opinions??)

This is a discussion on 2012 New College Rule Changes (What are you opinions??) within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
2012 New College Rule Changes (What are you opinions??)

So there arent very many rule changes to this season but the ones made are pretty drastic and could really change the game.

For example, if a players helmet comes off during the ball, the play will be whistled dead if its a ball carrier, or if the player is not a ball carrier he must stop his play or risk being flagged for 15 yards.

If a ball carriers helmet comes off in the last minute of either half, there will be a 10 second run off, unless a team has a timeout to burn. An example would be 9 seconds left in a game, the RB helmet comes off, there are no timeouts left, the game is then set is over due to the new Rule.

(Personally hate the 10 second run off... but i do agree with the play being whistled dead or the player without a helmet having to stop his play, but what happens if he stops and then gets lit up?? is it a 15 yard penalty on the player that hit him??)

The other rule change is touchbacks now being brought out to the 25. Just like the NFL i dont think this will do anything, Kick Returns are still going to return the ball as they believe they can get past the 25 anyways.

HOWEVER the rule change added to kickoffs that i absolutely HATE is that fact that a FAIR CATCH CAN NOW BE CALLED BY THE RECEIVING TEAM ON ONSIDE KICKS!?!?!?!?!??! EVEN IF IT BOUNCES STRAIGHT OFF THE KICK!

(If i am coaching special teams, the minute that ball is kicked i am having my best hands guy waving for a fair catch... i think this is really going to destory any success rate for onside kicks this season. I dont see this rule lasting very long)

What are your guys thoughts?!?!?!?

201 Rec. 2365 Yards 19 TD
3x All-RMAC 1x All-Colorado College Football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBM8UAYXZw (2009-2010 highlights)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 2012 New College Rule Changes (What are you opinions??)

The onside kick rule I hadn't heard of. I don't like it, though.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

being able to fair catch bouncing onside kicks and touchbacks to the 25 yard line are just awful rules. they just seem to be mocking football at this point. i don't get why they would ever think of changing the yardage of touchbacks. touchbacks to the 20 yard line were a basic, standard part of the game. it's going to be so weird. to me, college football peaked about a decade ago. the rule changes and the conference realignment just destroyed the integrity of the game.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

I have no idea why some of these changes are even going through. The touchback rule is just flat out dumb and the onside kick rule has been made to limit offside kicks. I guess it's just kneejerk reaction to the concussions in football and they don't want to be on the bad end of a lawsuit. It's getting to the point where kickoffs are going to go away.

I could see a rule change in the very near future where the "kicking" team starts on their own forty automatically at 4th and 10. If they want to do an "onside kick," they could go for it and try to make it to the 50. If they wanted to "kick it away," they would punt it. I'm not in favor of this, but I do believe we are heading in that direction.

If they really wanted to limit head injuries, they would outlaw helmets. Sounds weird right? Take away the invincible feeling in a helmet and kids start tackling like they should be doing. It would make a new saying: head-to-head; better off dead.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

The first part of the helmet rule has been applied to the CFL this season and has been fairly successful. The kicking rules.....Well let's just say they're being a tad overzealous in trying to protect players. I can see WHY they're doing that but it destroys the special teams aspect of the game.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Helmet rule makes sense to me... Minus the 10 second run off.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The first part of the helmet rule has been applied to the CFL this season and has been fairly successful. The kicking rules.....Well let's just say they're being a tad overzealous in trying to protect players. I can see WHY they're doing that but it destroys the special teams aspect of the game.
People thought it was going to be all doom and gloom in the NFL when they changed the kickoff rules, but you still saw exciting plays. Let's see how it plays out before we declare special teams dead.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

I very much like the helmet rule. I wish they added the rule that any player who starts a play without all of his chin straps buckled, would draw an automatic 15 yard personal foul penalty. If it already is a rule I wish they would enforce it. So tired of seeing helmets fly off because it's "uncomfortable" to tighten it down. Tighten it down so it keeps you safe and suck it up and deal with it.

I would assume the average kickoff return starts somewhere around the 25, so it would be a 5 yard loss to take the fair catch and start on the 20. I can see what they're doing here and overall I don't think it's going to have a very big impact one way or the other.

The on-sides kick thing is just so...wtf?
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »