Home

Bullpen help

This is a discussion on Bullpen help within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Bullpen help

I'm using the Braves in my dynasty, and I should have one of the best bullpens in the game. But my 'pen is continuously letting me down, and I'm getting frustrated.

Last game, I spent most of the game dealing down in the zone with Jurrjens. Get to the 9th with a 4-3 lead and I bring in Kimbrel. I tried throwing sliders down and off the plate and fastballs up - both in and out. Gave up a single and a double. And then Jason Bartlett fouled off about six pitches before lacing a game-tying single off a 96-mph fastball up and away on a 3-2 count. And that's been the norm of late with Kimbrel.

Kimbrel's ERA is at 3.25 now. Venters' is over 6 - yes 6. Moylan and O'Flaherty will be dominant until crunch time. Medlen, my lowest-rated reliever - is the one I do the best with.

Any tips on how to get my bullpen going?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Bullpen help

I tend to just tap the button when pitching (classic pitching), which seems to work a lot of the time. But I put more effort behind my pitches with my bullpen in a game tonight. The result? My pen was nasty. Venters struck out three and had three weak grounders in two innings; O'Flaherty struck out the side; and Kimbrel blew away a batter with the potential winning run on third.

So, to answer my own question: Max effort is your bullpen's best friend apparently.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Rookie

dixiebum18's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm using the Braves also

Through 13 games, my record is 8-5, my starters have 1 loss, my bullpen has the other 4, and I've also had 4 extra innings games thanks to the bullpen blowing saves/holds

I don't know what to do? Any help out there?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Rookie

calbrs04's Arena

OVR: 0

I would probably suggest to change to meter pitching. I have found that it gives you better control of your pitches. There are still some games though that my bullpen has blown it, but it has been realistic.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Rookie

Honestly, 13 games is a small sample size. Pitchers get hit from time to time. Bullpens struggle as a unit pretty often in baseball. I think you guys are expecting realistic numbers, and for them to be consistent throughout your seasons...

Continue to play, and I bet your numbers eventually balance themselves out to where you think they should be...

www.youtube.com/Tstrider20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Rookie

In my first year with my Padres Franchise, my bullpen was terrible. Second year, although i'm 61-62 10 games behind the division leader San Francisco Giants my pitching rotation has been improved along with my bullpen. My starting rotation can give 6 plus innings on a good night but when my bullpen has to come in they usually do a good job. As of right now this is how my starting rotation and bullpen looks like (can't remember the records for each pitcher):
1. Jordan Zimmerman (acquired from WSH)
2. C.J. Wilson (acquired from LAA)
3. Gio Gonzalez (acquired from WSH)
4. Ivan Nova (acquired from NYY then optioned to AAA Tucson and promoted again and demoted Volquez to AAA)
5. Max Fried (promoted him in my first year)

Bullpen:
Dustin Moseley (taken out of the rotation because he was getting burned as a starter too many times)
Micah Owings
Matt Lollis
Josh Spence
Ernesto Frieri
Huston Street

I think there's one more reliever but I can't remember.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »