Home

Why am I so bad at this game?

This is a discussion on Why am I so bad at this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
Why am I so bad at this game?

I'm generally pretty good at football game. 100-60 something record in Madden, IIRC. Similar winning % in the other NCAA games. Not spectacular, but pretty good. I can upset some highly ranked players occasionally and even games I lose I'm typically within a score.

I just picked NCAA 13 up yesterday and I'm awful. 0-2, lost the first game 42-20 (was down 30-3 at one point), the second game 42-14.

I can figure out the offensive side of the ball, with time. It's defense that concerns me. As an LSU alum, I run with LSU. I should have no problems playing defense. But what happens is either of two things:

1. Most significant problem I have is covering the slants or drags across the middle. In man, they eventually almost always outrun the WR. In zone, even if my LB is in position, the majority of the time he just stands there without breaking on the ball or trying to make a play on the ball. Did they add a button press to get players to react that I'm missing? It's really absurd. I can only do so much with regard to calling the right plays. If the computer doesn't react...

2. If I bring pressure to try and force a pass before the middle becomes open...a lot of times the middle will just open quicker. But even if it doesn't, my opponent usually also has a WR streaking down the sideline, and depending on the play call, he'll likely be in one on one. This is caught far too often.

So, I guess my question is how do I defend the drags/slants in this game without sacrificing too many men to pressuring the QB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Rookie

TigerRag's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Why am I so bad at this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
I'm generally pretty good at football game. 100-60 something record in Madden, IIRC. Similar winning % in the other NCAA games. Not spectacular, but pretty good. I can upset some highly ranked players occasionally and even games I lose I'm typically within a score.

I just picked NCAA 13 up yesterday and I'm awful. 0-2, lost the first game 42-20 (was down 30-3 at one point), the second game 42-14.

I can figure out the offensive side of the ball, with time. It's defense that concerns me. As an LSU alum, I run with LSU. I should have no problems playing defense. But what happens is either of two things:

1. Most significant problem I have is covering the slants or drags across the middle. In man, they eventually almost always outrun the WR. In zone, even if my LB is in position, the majority of the time he just stands there without breaking on the ball or trying to make a play on the ball. Did they add a button press to get players to react that I'm missing? It's really absurd. I can only do so much with regard to calling the right plays. If the computer doesn't react...

2. If I bring pressure to try and force a pass before the middle becomes open...a lot of times the middle will just open quicker. But even if it doesn't, my opponent usually also has a WR streaking down the sideline, and depending on the play call, he'll likely be in one on one. This is caught far too often.

So, I guess my question is how do I defend the drags/slants in this game without sacrificing too many men to pressuring the QB?
Who do you control on defense? I like to control the MLB and it helps on the drags and slant routes. If my opponent is just abusing it then I like to bump the WRs and bring a blitz although if the WR gets free then it's going to be atleast a first down.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Banned

Is it possible this is just a poorly designed game? Not saying I should be good, but a lot of problems I'm having is because of awful design or things just outside of my control. Some examples:

http://i.imgur.com/mttHN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a5Pwn.jpg

This is with catching set to conservative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnxskgfpDfY - this is what happens to me EVERY GAME. This is why I can't cover the middle. Even if I call the right plays to put people in position, this happens at least half of the time. I can only control one player. If they're running multiple people across the middle to multiple areas, I have to choose. I should be able to rely on the AI to do what I put them in position to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCALiwQKlqw - Once again, I have my guy in position, but instead of staying in position, he randomly back pedals. When I try to take control and go for the pick, my (star) CB instead jumps in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWWbQBGJ4Q - while this one is somewhat excusable because it's a play action, I've had the same thing with the safety happen in other games on non play actions. Instead of playing his deep half, he randomly charges forward for a moment.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Banned

H Dot Verseman's Arena

OVR: 1

maybe you're just not that good???
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Kratcha0914's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Dot Verseman
Or we have all had it since the release date...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Dot Verseman
Perhaps, but how does my skill level have anything to do with drops or what happens in the first video? Now, sure, a great player would be able to take control of that player and pick it off, but putting my player in position should be enough to at least get a swat down by the AI.

I know we want to rush to defend the game at every opportunity because EA can do no wrong, but let's try and be objective here.

There's no reason the player in the first video should literally just stand there, and there's no reason in the second video that the CB should back himself out of position. A great player can compensate for these things, but they shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Last edited by Cutwolf; 08-08-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Banned

H Dot Verseman's Arena

OVR: 1

dont misunderstand my stance, I've called this years game the worst thing since the *** . ea has left it beyond exploitable, and has done nothing to fix it.

with that said, ALWAYS user control when attempting to swat, catch. I haven't found the ai to be reliable at all. they play at or below their level. you can play at or well above it.

it causes some problems, but stick with it.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19

Biggest thing is don't give up on yourself . This game I feel this year has a slightly higher learning curve than last year .

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »