Home

New England Patriots have 7 TE's!

This is a discussion on New England Patriots have 7 TE's! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
New England Patriots have 7 TE's!

I think it's interesting that after the pats signed Visanthe Shiancoe that makes it 7 tight ends on the pats training camp team. Along with Visanthe Shiancoe, Jake Ballard, Tyler Urban, Alex Silvestro, Daniel Fells, and obviously Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski. I think its pretty interesting because I saw on SC that they are planning on playing 5 of them which is crazy.

The Pat's unofficial depth chart: http://www.patriots.com/games-and-st...pth-chart.html

Last edited by Love 5hack; 08-04-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Rookie

raggBAGG's Arena

OVR: 2
It is pretty crazy but it's a good strategy. They played a lot of formations with the 3 TE set last year and now with Hernandez getting RB reps, it's good to have guys backing him up for injury purposes to keep that tight end formation strong.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: New England Patriots have 7 TE's!

It's still early days in training camp, by the time the final pre-season game rolls around and all the cut days are out of the way, they may have about 4 TE's left. Considering they have a lot WR's as well, it's hard to see them keeping so many of both positions.

They would be better of keeping more depth on the defensive side of the ball. Less proven.. Obviously.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Sounds like the focus has been shifted to the TE in the NE offense. The sheer amount of TEs on the roster reminds me of the Air Coryell Chargers which some people forget was a TE oriented offense that opened up the WRs especially in the later years.

This is something to bear watching in NE. I don't think they'll keep all 7 (that'd be insane) but I could see a rotation of 4 TEs on the roster.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

They have this new secret formation they will unveil Week 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

If it's true that the Pats are gonna keep 5 TE's on the roster, I imagine it would be:

Gronk, Hernandez, Fells, Ballard, Shiancoe

Gronkowski, Hernandez are obvious locks. Daniel Fells is a huge guy at 6'4, 272 lbs, can fill in as a FB after Tony Fiammetta was reported to be placed on the exempt/left squad list for 2012. Jake Ballard, as we all know, was a gift from the Giants, although he won't play this season. Visante Shiancoe signing was quite interesting, I guess they wanted a blocking TE in sets where Gronk and Hernandez would be running routes. Aside from that, he can provide some veteran presence and play an 'Alge Crumpler'(remember him?) role.

Don't see Silvestro making it, he's a converted LB that's a roster fringe player, Bill might stow him on practice squad. Urban is an undrafted FA with some upside but there's already too much depth at TE.

Last edited by MostlyChilly; 08-05-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Correction on Fells
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyChilly
If it's true that the Pats are gonna keep 5 TE's on the roster, I imagine it would be:

Gronk, Hernandez, Fells, Ballard, Shiancoe

Gronkowski, Hernandez are obvious locks. Daniel Fells came from Denver and has worked with Josh McDaniels. Jake Ballard, as we all know, was a gift from the Giants, although he won't play this season. Visante Shiancoe signing was quite interesting, I guess they wanted a blocking TE in sets where Gronk and Hernandez would be running routes. Aside from that, he can provide some veteran presence and play an 'Alge Crumpler'(remember him?) role.

Don't see Silvestro making it, he's a converted LB that's a roster fringe player, Bill might stow him on practice squad. Urban is an undrafted FA with some upside but there's already too much depth at TE.
When did Fells work with McDaniels?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
When did Fells work with McDaniels?
Ohh...I apologize, confused him with Brandon Lloyd for a moment(strange as that sounds).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »