Home

Do you guys normally jump at the first HC offer you get when you're a coordinator?

This is a discussion on Do you guys normally jump at the first HC offer you get when you're a coordinator? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

OVR: 5
Do you guys normally jump at the first HC offer you get when you're a coordinator?

So I'm sitting here in the offseason of the first year of my offline dynasty (Heisman gameplay, AA recruiting) and I'm offensive coordinator at UTSA. I received head coach offers from Oregon State, Texas State, and Utah State. Normally I'd jump on the Oregon State offer very fast, but I'm torn. I just landed a top 20 recruiting class with some great players (a good bit of 70-79 overall guys) at QB, WR, OL, and ATH.

I'm sure you guys have been in this kind of situation where you're at a school trying to build the program up, but you get a HC offer. What do you normally do? Do you take the HC offer and jump ship to build up a better school, or do you stay at the low prestige school as an offensive coordinator and attempt to build them up even more? Reasoning would be appreciated as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do you guys normally jump at the first HC offer you get when you're a coordinator

I would take the head coaching offer. You've helped the low prestige school with your recruiting class, and now you have a chance to move on to bigger and better things which is what most coaches (I think) strive for. And controlling both sides of the ball is more fun. :P
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Do you guys normally jump at the first HC offer you get when you're a coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
I would take the head coaching offer. You've helped the low prestige school with your recruiting class, and now you have a chance to move on to bigger and better things which is what most coaches (I think) strive for. And controlling both sides of the ball is more fun. :P
True that. I guess it just felt like bailing on the program in some sense. I felt like I would be abandoning the program I committed to a 2 year contract with. But you're right. It's all about upward movement in the coaching process. Also I have already helped out my current school for years to come with the offensive class I've brought in. Thanks for the reassurance!

Last edited by TreyDobbs; 07-25-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Pro

der juicen's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDobbs
So I'm sitting here in the offseason of the first year of my offline dynasty (Heisman gameplay, AA recruiting) and I'm offensive coordinator at UTSA. I received head coach offers from Oregon State, Texas State, and Utah State. Normally I'd jump on the Oregon State offer very fast, but I'm torn. I just landed a top 20 recruiting class with some great players (a good bit of 70-79 overall guys) at QB, WR, OL, and ATH.

I'm sure you guys have been in this kind of situation where you're at a school trying to build the program up, but you get a HC offer. What do you normally do? Do you take the HC offer and jump ship to build up a better school, or do you stay at the low prestige school as an offensive coordinator and attempt to build them up even more? Reasoning would be appreciated as well.
I would probably go for a bigger school. I like to play the game of hunting fr a job opening on my "Alma Mater". Utah or Oregon sound like good choices. Just depends on how bad they are in the dumps that either their coach left or was fired. Are you willing to go into another school and rebuild? I think you get better coach prestige by staying through your contract as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by der juicen
I would probably go for a bigger school. I like to play the game of hunting fr a job opening on my "Alma Mater". Utah or Oregon sound like good choices. Just depends on how bad they are in the dumps that either their coach left or was fired. Are you willing to go into another school and rebuild? I think you get better coach prestige by staying through your contract as well.
I also believe this is true. If you stay and fulfill your contract you get more prestige. But I've never really paid close enough attention to it. (Constructive comment ) :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Rookie

ROSStafarian's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm kinda the other way around from you guys, I've spent 3 years now where I'm at right now (Wake Forest OC) and I feel like I have far to much invested in my recruiting and my school, We've made strides from being a 2* program to a 4* and to leave for anywhere less then 5-6 star program just isn't an option.#Dedication
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I take it on a case-by-case basis.

I planned on being the Texas State OC for a few years, but the Texas State HC was hired away by Kansas State after my first season. I was then offered the HC job and decided to take it, seeing as I'd be at the same school and it made sense that they'd hire a candidate from within the program.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I wait for a HC offer that I really like.

I started out as the OC at UMass and got a HC offer at Arizona State after my first season but passed on it. Got an OC offer at Auburn the year after and took that, and then after one season at Auburn, I finally got some big HC offers:

Alabama
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Penn State
San Diego State
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »