Home

My passing game is awful.

This is a discussion on My passing game is awful. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Rookie

vtech11's Arena

OVR: 8
My passing game is awful.

I don't really get this "total control passing." Passing feels the same as it always has. When I'm playing against man coverage, I think that I see the open receiver but I always get intercepted. When playing against zone, I can't even find an open receiver, thus leading to random throws and interceptions lol. It's quite frustrating. I'm just hoping some of you good passers can give me some tips.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: My passing game is awful.

You should look into adjusting your sliders to make it a tad easier. Also maybe lowering your game speed to Slow or Very Slow
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 19

I'm struggling with it, too. Waiting for those passing icons to appear adds to the difficulty. I'm down to slow, and I plan on trying to find the right sliders. You have to work on timing, read the D, consider the routes, go through progression, and lead the receiver. It's a lot to cram into three or four seconds.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

In another thread, I posted:

One thing to consider is start throwing your WRs open. If your WR is running an in route, and the safety is on top of him, you can pull down on the stick and throw the ball to lead him back towards the line of scrimmage as he comes across. That will help him maintain body position. This works on posts, flags, etc. You can flatten out corner routes, lengthen them, etc. Try leading your WR inside the field on a go route when you have man coverage and the safety has left the center wide open.

Your pre-snap reads need to be keen as well. You need to take note of where the safeties are, where the blitz might come from, and any possible mismatches in alignment.

Lastly, start thinking about the routes you run. Stop running slants all day long. The CPU is going to adjust to what you're doing. If you run curls all day long, the CPU is going to start jumping those routes. Try running an out route or a go route and see how the DB reacts.

Once I adjusted how I threw the ball, I started to see routes open up that weren't open in NCAA 12. I went from throwing 4+ picks a game to solid passing numbers. Of course, your QB and WRs play a part in all this. If you WRs can't run routes, they won't fool the DBs.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/127115821

So, in this one, I'm late throwing the ball, but he was like my 4th read. Even still, you can see I'm throwing the ball over the DB in front.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/127116445

This one, I'm actually pulling the stick down as I throw the ball, leading the WR back towards me a bit and away from the DB. This gives enough separation that the DB can't make a play. You can see the DB actually turning his hips and expecting a deep ball.

These are both on All American, default sliders.

In the end, pick one or two that you'll consider your first and second choices. Consider where their routes are, and then look at the defense. Consider the safeties, DBs, LBs, etc. Then decide what to watch for. Let's say you're running slants. First, I take note of where are the safeties. That can tell you if a blitz is coming. Then, when I snap the ball, my eyes are squarely on the LBs. If they blitz, I know where I'm going with the ball. If they back off and sit in the zone, then I need to think about a pass to the flats or just getting rid of the ball.

Figure out an attack for each play before the snap of the ball and be prepared. DON'T throw the ball late. If you throw late, you'll get picked. You need to anticipate.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Yung Goat 404's Arena

OVR: 5

Broncos86 I Agree With Everything You Said. I'm An Assassin With The Passing Game This Year. Pre-Snap Reads Is The Key To Everything To Me. I Don't Run A lot Of Go Routes Myself
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Rookie

TeamHawkins's Arena

OVR: 0

Another tip is stop reading too much into using the control scheme. It isn't necessary on EVERY pas attempt. Use it only when seriously needed. And if your QB has an 80 or below accuracy rating, it honestly doesn't matter what you do, it will be a bad throw using the control stick. It's best to let his rating guide the ball.

Much of the control stick scheme is for those who want to try that throw deep over a DB's head, or lay it over a short zone Linebacker. Not for every throw, every pass play. If your QB has an 84+ accuracy, he is gonna make the throws naturally, and if you are making bad reads, it's gonna get swatted or picked.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
bnb
Rookie

OVR: 4

don't pass like you're still playing '12. it just isn't the same this year. i realized i was firing bullets all game and getting nowhere because that's all that worked previously. once i went into practice mode and forced myself to become comfortable with the new trajectories, things got a lot better. you CAN drop a ball right over the MLB this year. it works! and i pay a lot of attention to the linebackers this year. they almost always tell me where i'm going to throw right after the snap.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

You should look into adjusting your sliders to make it a tad easier

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »