Home

Anyone notice how WWE games have made no new innovations since NO MERCY?

This is a discussion on Anyone notice how WWE games have made no new innovations since NO MERCY? within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anyone notice how WWE games have made no new innovations since NO MERCY?

I would say No Mercy is even better any other wresting game today with those epic non linear storylines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
MVP

stlpimpmonsta's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Anyone notice how WWE games have made no new innovations since NO MERCY?

No innovations imply todays game is like no mercy which isnt true. Better? sure but not more innovative
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryMan
I would say No Mercy is even better any other wresting game today with those epic non linear storylines.
No Mercy had Hell in a Cell? Only a poor quality one with Gameshark.

Did it have the Elimination Chamber? No.

6 people in the ring? Nope.

Great visuals... ouch. Tacky short entrances and poor quality themes.

It's editing, though, owns today's. If only we could have edited movesets back then without fooling around with a Gameshark.

Absolutely great game and I still enjoy playing it today, but it is hard to look at knowing what we have today, no matter how poor it may seem at times.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
No Mercy had Hell in a Cell? Only a poor quality one with Gameshark.

Did it have the Elimination Chamber? No.

6 people in the ring? Nope.

Great visuals... ouch. Tacky short entrances and poor quality themes.

It's editing, though, owns today's. If only we could have edited movesets back then without fooling around with a Gameshark.

Absolutely great game and I still enjoy playing it today, but it is hard to look at knowing what we have today, no matter how poor it may seem at times.

That's like slamming SmackDown! 2 for not having Know Your Enemy as the theme song. Of course it won't have something that wasn't a thing yet.

My two cents- No Mercy is the NFL 2K5 of wrestling. No matter what, you will see those who go "Nah man, it'll never be as good as No Mercy." In some ways, those people have valid points and it's obvious that areas of No Mercy (like momentum and fatigue) continue to shine over Pred tech.

While obviously you can't compare Nintendo 64 graphics with the power of today's consoles, THQ was able to provide a more memorable experience (by and large) on a cartridge than what I find on a dual-layer disc for $59.99.

I don't know if it's a Yukes problem (though AKI made No Mercy, so maybe?), I don't know if it's a THQ problem, I just know that I popped in Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 today and it had dramatically superior graphics and gameplay to WWE '12. Not even freaking exaggerating. Obnoxious control scheme, but nothing is perfect I suppose.

There have been graphical downgrades, barebones modes, torched servers, and more...For what? If this comes off as complete b****ing and moaning, there is definitely some pent up frustration. At the end of the day though, I just want to truly enjoy a WWE game again.

I guess the question for me isn't 'Will a game ever beat No Mercy?', it's 'Am I too jaded to ever accept that day when it does?'

Last edited by RedZoneD25; 07-11-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZoneD25
I guess the question for me isn't 'Will a game ever beat No Mercy?', it's 'Am I too jaded to ever accept that day when it does?'
Most seem to be. Fire Pro R > No Mercy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

They have come up with some new ideas, but they also took a lot away over the years. I like the new pinning system, but I hate the way chain grappling is overdone. I like the idea of signatures, but I hate the linear way you go about getting (and using) them. I really miss having a CPU that feels like it's trying new things and wants to beat you.

For me the biggest issue I have with recent WWE games is how boring they have come to play. I know it's not me growing out of it because I still love to play the 'classics' (NM, FPR, DOR2, HCTP).

WWE All-stars has been the best wrestling game to come out since DOR2/FPR. It was FUN, and had some depth to the gameplay. That engine (especially love the reversals) could have been a great foundation for some seriously great games.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 11

As much as I love Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy, to say the new games have no innovation is just wrong.

WWE Universe Mode is a very innovative feature, even if it still hasn't reached its full potential.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Playmaker76's Arena

OVR: 4

Someone mentioned FPW. It's a great game once you figure it out, but it's just one of those games that you have to take lots of time with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »