Home

Create a player 101

This is a discussion on Create a player 101 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6
Create a player 101

I know this may be a really stupid question, but when creating PITCHERS, the higher the rating, the more effective they are on that attribute? I play EXCLUSIVELY cpu vs cpu, so I have no personal control over the pitcher. here's what I'm running into: I create a pitcher with a 85 BB attribute, and all 3-4 of his pitches have a control attribute of at least 80. then he promptly goes out and walks six batters in 6 innings. next game, 4 batters in 3 innings. next game, 7 batters in five innings. see where this is going? so I check the "elite" pitchers (verlander, holliday, Lee, etc) and I believe all of them have a BB attribute of 80 or lower. is it possible I have it backwards? or does other attributes contribute overall to the control of the pitches? Is there a thread that talks specifically about how the attributes work? thanks for any help that any of you can provide.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Create a player 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
I know this may be a really stupid question, but when creating PITCHERS, the higher the rating, the more effective they are on that attribute? I play EXCLUSIVELY cpu vs cpu, so I have no personal control over the pitcher. here's what I'm running into: I create a pitcher with a 85 BB attribute, and all 3-4 of his pitches have a control attribute of at least 80. then he promptly goes out and walks six batters in 6 innings. next game, 4 batters in 3 innings. next game, 7 batters in five innings. see where this is going? so I check the "elite" pitchers (verlander, holliday, Lee, etc) and I believe all of them have a BB attribute of 80 or lower. is it possible I have it backwards? or does other attributes contribute overall to the control of the pitches? Is there a thread that talks specifically about how the attributes work? thanks for any help that any of you can provide.
I believe Verlander is at 78 and both Lee and Halladay are over 80. The higher BB number should mean better control, such as with Halladay and Lee.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

that's what I thought too, but my created pitchers don't seem to understand that. even the Hits attribute, which a lot of the aces are in the low to high 70's. Not sure if any pitchers are over 85 on the hits attribute or HR attribute. again, I assume the higher the number, the more effective they are. so in theory, a 90 HR rating for a pitcher would mean they rarely give up the long ball. but I'm sure fatigue, pitch placement, etc may play a part on THAT attribute.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
that's what I thought too, but my created pitchers don't seem to understand that. even the Hits attribute, which a lot of the aces are in the low to high 70's. Not sure if any pitchers are over 85 on the hits attribute or HR attribute. again, I assume the higher the number, the more effective they are. so in theory, a 90 HR rating for a pitcher would mean they rarely give up the long ball. but I'm sure fatigue, pitch placement, etc may play a part on THAT attribute.

Pitching in game?

Your individual pitch attributes...not the /9 have the effect on that.
The /9(except stamina and clutch...those are for both) are mostly for simmed games.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Pitching in game?

Your individual pitch attributes...not the /9 have the effect on that.
The /9(except stamina and clutch...those are for both) are mostly for simmed games.

M.K.
Knight165
So shouldn't a pitcher with control ratings (individual pitch types) at 80 or more have good control?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Pro

ralphieboy11's Arena

OVR: 4

There is a lot of randomness with cpu vs cpu games. I have a season going using OSFM rosters with the pitch edits. Over 350 games played. I have seen many top rated pitchers struggle with control, and also have high ERAs. Verlander and Halladay come to mind.

However, when you look at the league leaders there are also guys you would consider stars that have pitched very well. Beckett and Lincecum, for instance.

I think if you continue with your created pitchers, things will even out over time. The better players will eventually rise to the top over the course of a season. That has been my experience so far, at least.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
So shouldn't a pitcher with control ratings (individual pitch types) at 80 or more have good control?
Yea that is how it should work.. Strange you are walking people that often with good control ratings. Maybe try a larger sample size?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
MVP

rjackson's Arena

Id look at the sliders. For cpu vs cpu games, the default sliders work well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »