Home

What is Your Favorite CFB Rivalry?

This is a discussion on What is Your Favorite CFB Rivalry? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Rookie

crb236's Arena

OVR: 3
What is Your Favorite CFB Rivalry?

Whats your favorite rivalry? and why? id have to say mine is probably lsu vs bama or Missouri vs Nebraska (my favorite rivalry of missouri) or if you know some rivalry's that have died off and you want to still see them what rivalry's were there?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Rookie

jamie1981's Arena

OVR: 5
My favorite rivalry is Michigan and Ohio State. This, is despite me being a Penn State fan and alum. I've always liked Army/Navy as well as Florida/Florida State.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

My Teams:
Penn State Nittany Lions
Florida State Seminoles
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Baltimore Orioles
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
MVP

Clemsonpanther's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: What is Your Favorite CFB Rivalry?

Clemson Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina–Clemson_rivalry
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Ohio State - Michigan "The Game"
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Ohio State and Michigan. No other rivalry has the schools as evenly matched combined with all the great stories and animosity over the years. A few noteworthy moments (many of which were pulled from Wikipedia):

October 25th, 1902: Ohio State's alma mater "Carmen Ohio" is written on a train ride home after an 86-0 loss to Michigan. The series began 12-0-2 in favor of Michigan from 1897 to 1912 (oh, the Yost days...).

October 25th, 1919: Ohio State defeats Michigan for the first time, 13-3, behind star halfback Chic Harley.

October 21st, 1922: Ohio State dedicates Ohio Stadium in front of a crowd of 72,000 as Michigan wins 19-0. Legend says the maize and blue flowers in the rotunda at Ohio Stadium are due to this event.

October 22nd, 1927: Michigan dedicates Michigan Stadium in front of a crowd of 84,401 as Michigan defeats Ohio State 21-0.

November 17th, 1934: Prior to 1934 Michigan had a 22-6-2 record against Ohio State. Ohio State had a new coach in Francis Schmidt, and when asked about whether Ohio State could beat Michigan, Schmidt said, "Of course we can win, Michigan puts their pants on one leg at a time just like we do," spawning the tradition of Ohio State players receiving gold pants when defeating Michigan. Ohio State beat Michigan, 34-0, and won the next three games.

November 23rd, 1940: Tom Harmon completes his Heisman trophy winning season by scoring three rushing touchdowns, throwing two passing touchdowns, kicking four extra points, intercepting three passes, and punting three times for an average of 50 yards in a 40-0 Michigan victory over Ohio State.

November 25th, 1950: Ohio State came into the game ranked eighth in the country with a 6-2 record leading the Big Ten. However, a blizzard engulfed Columbus and Ohio State was scheduled to host the game. Ohio State was given the option of canceling the game against Michigan, which would have given them a Big Ten title and a trip to the Rose Bowl. Ohio State refused, and the game was played in a blizzard, leading to 45 punts (with Ohio State's Vic Janowicz punting 21 times for 685 yards) in a contest that Michigan won 9-3, giving Michigan the Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl berth.

November 23rd, 1957: The first game in the series attended by 100,000 fans at Michigan Stadium. Michigan got drilled 31-14, as they often did against Woody Hayes prior to Schembechler. It was also the year of Woody's second national title at Ohio State.

November 23rd, 1968: Ohio State wins 50-14. Ohio State went for a two-point conversion on their final touchdown of the game, despite the score being 50-14. When asked about why he went for the two points, Woody Hayes replied, "Because I couldn't go for three." It was the year of Woody's fourth national title at Ohio State. The game led to Michigan coach Bump Elliott's resignation and the hiring of Bo Schembechler.

November 22nd, 1969: Prior to 1969, the Buckeyes had won 12 of 18 games and came into Michigan Stadium ranked #1 in the country with a 22-game winning streak. Due to Big Ten rules, the Buckeyes were ineligible for the Rose Bowl that year and would win the national title with a win over Michigan. Schembechler and Hayes both agreed that it was Hayes' best team. Nonetheless, Michigan shocked Ohio State 24-12, sending the Wolverines off the Rose Bowl and launching the ten-year war. From the perspective of Michigan fans, this was the greatest game in the series.

November 21st, 1970: Ohio State got revenge against an undefeated Michigan squad and secured Hayes' fifth national championship.

November 24th, 1973: Michigan tied Ohio State after losing three straight in the series, but Ohio State went to the Rose Bowl, supposedly on the vote of Michigan's rival, Michigan State, outraging Schembechler.

November 25th, 1978: Michigan won their third game in a row in the series. After the game Hayes punched his way out of football and the ten-year war was over.

November 21st, 1987: Michigan loses to Ohio State 20-23 in Earle Bruce's last game. Bruce had been fired prior to the game, but was allowed to coach one more time against Michigan.

November 20th, 1993: Ohio State entered the game at 9-0-1 ranked #5 while Michigan was only 6-4. Nonetheless, Michigan shocked Ohio State with a 28-0 victory that was so characteristic of the Cooper era. After the game, Cooper said, "This is one of the most embarrassing games I've ever been involved with."

November 25th, 1995: Ohio State entered the game at #2 with an 11-0 record and a plethora of NFL stars such as Eddie George, Orlando Pace, Terry Glenn, Mike Vrabel, and Shawn Springs. Prior to the game Glenn stated, "Michigan's nothing." Michigan responded by winning 31-23.

November 23rd, 1996: Ohio State entered the game at #2 with a 10-0 record while Michigan was on a two-game losing streak. Ohio State opened the game 9-0, but Michigan put in Brian Griese (son of the much-better Purdue player Bob Griese) and won the game 13-9.

November 22nd, 1997: After being upset the past two years, #4 Ohio State was hoping to play spoiler to Michigan, who was ranked #1. Michigan won 20-14 and seized the program's first national title since 1948 with a win over #8 Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

November 24th, 2001: In the winter, Tressel promised Ohio State students that his team would compete with Michigan on the football field. They responded by getting Ohio State's first win in Ann Arbor in 14 years, despite only posting a 7-5 record on the season that year.

November 23rd, 2002: Maurice Clarrett powers Ohio State to a 14-9 victory and a national championship.

November 20th, 2004: Despite Michigan coming into the game 9-1 and with a Big Ten title already clinched (Ohio State was only 6-4), Ohio State dominated 37-21.

November 18th, 2006: Ohio State entered the game as #1 and Michigan entered the game as #2. Ohio State won a close game 42-39. If this game were played in 2011, the two would have rematched for the national title. Instead, Ohio State got blown out by Florida in the title game and Michigan got blown out by USC in the Rose Bowl.

November 26th, 2011: Michigan defeats Ohio State, 40-34, for the first time in eight years. Still, Ohio State had a chance to steal the victory (like had happened so many previous times by the underdog in this series) late in the game, but Braxton Miller Braxton'd a sure-fire touchdown throw late in the game. There was much rushing of the field and rejoicing by Michigan fans.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

Last edited by lonewolf371; 06-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32
Alabama/ Auburn or Tennessee/ Florida
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

OVR: 10
I'm going to go with Army-Navy, because I've gone to it the past few years. I love the tradition the game brings and the fact that it is the seniors last game( excluding bowl games) before graduating and joining their respective services.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
The Iron Bowl..

What else would I choose, as an Auburn fan ?

Sent from my Desire HD

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »