Home

Why is 2k going "casual" with 2k13?

This is a discussion on Why is 2k going "casual" with 2k13? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Angry Why is 2k going "casual" with 2k13?

Everyone knows how easy 2k12 is compared to 2k11. 2k12 gives you training camp mode that teaches users how to play the game, white glow shooting so users don't need to practice mode time, and limited collisions so people can get to paint and score a lot more often. This is truely a non hardcore pickup n play game so why make 2k13 even easier? Casual fans have brains and understand that. This is 2k not EA. No need to lower the complexity of the game even further so a 12 year old or 42 year old feels no need to actually learn the game to be sucessful. Maybe I am jumping the gun but that espn interview quote by rob jones is suspect .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Why is 2k going "casual" with 2k13?

I knew somebody would pick up that line, the problem your having is that you didn't read the full quote. Here it is "I think we're going to deliver a game that's more casual, but deeper all at the same time," said Jones. "A casual guy will be able to do everything in our game and enjoy it and think that's he's cool, but then he'll get his butt kicked by someone who really understands how the mechanics work." he clearly said that skill will still play a part in the game, to me that's not casual if skill is still important and the biggest factor.

My biggest concern is this."Jones said the controls this year will be simpler for first-time users, as 2K Sports tries to attract a wider audience to its award-winning franchise while not sacrificing what has made the game so lauded by hoop-heads worldwide." I thought the controls were near perfect, with the issues laying in 2k changing menu's like the coaching sliders, and hot streaks.

But to the 2k12 point you made I think 2k12 problem was that it was too difficult, and the controls changed from 2k11. I think people really were so accustomed to 2k11, that they never could adapt to the changes. Or take the time out to learn the game. So the glow and training camp were needed, for those that didn't really care about getting the most out of the game and want to just play. People actually hate 2k12 more than 2k11 and I don't think they would hate a easier game imo.

Last edited by jersez; 06-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
MVP

jersez's Arena

Another thing is 2k12 had to adjust to the new comers, from live so I can understand some of the hand holding, but I don't think he meant the game is going towards the causal side more than the sim side. At the end of the day, the causal market is larger than the sim one, so they have to cater to both if they expect to survive these tough times at 2k sports.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Easier controls mean it would in fact take less skill and would lead to more opportunities for people to find exploits. I hope 2k understands this.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
MVP

Ejfalcon9's Arena

OVR: 9

It's really simple. Casual gamers out number us hardcore simulation gamers. Take 2k12. I believe the scores it received were like 9/10 and 9.5/10 ,a near perfect experience ,across the board. If one of us reviewed the game it would probably receive a 7.5 or 8. A decent game ,but very flawed and a step down from 2k11. Because the casual gamers outnumber us so 2k wants their money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Hehmke22's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejfalcon9
It's really simple. Casual gamers out number us hardcore simulation gamers. Take 2k12. I believe the scores it received were like 9/10 and 9.5/10 ,a near perfect experience ,across the board. If one of us reviewed the game it would probably receive a 7.5 or 8. A decent game ,but very flawed and a step down from 2k11. Because the casual gamers outnumber us so 2k wants their money.
I think I might have to stay with 2k12 if this has become the case. The one thing for me that always separated NBA 2k was the complexity.

I liked 2k11 but felt 2k12 was slightly better, its hard for me to choose, but 2k13 seems to be headed in a direction a lot of hardcore sim ballers might not want to go.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
MVP

jersez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmku
Easier controls mean it would in fact take less skill and would lead to more opportunities for people to find exploits. I hope 2k understands this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Simple controls do not make the game arcadey or cheesy. The game is made cheesy by poor collision detection, unstoppable animations, warping, phasing, and sliding players, poor tuning of how the game recognizes challenged shots, poor implementation of fouls, fatigue, and injuries.

Wanting complex controls is simply an ego stroke, its has nothing to with making the game more sim/realistic.
I don't think simpler controls makes the game simply, imo the user is the one exploiting the game, they should make a game, that makes it hard to just turbo to the paint and dunk on your whole team. There are users that run plays, know the isomotion system and know post moves. They are still exploiter's, just because you know every move doesn't mean your not a cheeser. Also they didn't even specify on what would be simpler. Too much criticism for a game that isn't even out.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
No need to start a thread about this. Did you read the whole article? In it it says the casual player will be able to do the things he wants to do but the experienced, advanced player will be able to take him to school anyway. That statement means it's not going the casual route but that it will be appealing to both casual and e perienced players.

Please read and understand the whole text before jumping to conclusions. Noond here knows in detail what anything means yet so getting all riled up about something we know nothing about is premature and totally unwarranted.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »