Home

Improve Defensive Gameplay without Nanos

This is a discussion on Improve Defensive Gameplay without Nanos within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Rookie

Militant X 1's Arena

OVR: 2
Improve Defensive Gameplay without Nanos

how can we improve our defensive gameplay in M12 and even M13 WITHOUT the use of nanos and stacking defenders all over the place? i want to just call the "right" defense and break the huddle in the "right" play without manipulating the AI. how do we improve?

~Mili
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Improve Defensive Gameplay without Nanos

No play is ever correct, that is why they call the MLBs the Qbs on he D side of the ball. They call audibles, they tell people where to be, where to attack etc. Finding a good formation may help though. Like for me, I use 416 so I can either a. use my Lbs for a potential run or b. use the Speed package and have 6 dbs on the field.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Because the pass rush is broken in this game you have to use nanos

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I wouldn't mind some pointers here either. I only play in legit leagues online so I don't want to use any funny business cheese, but does anyone have some stock plays that generate pressure? Needs to be in a 3-4 book. I struggle at pressuring the QB.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

There is no stock D that will be the "end all, be all" against any offense. In real life, reads and adjustments are made on D just like they are on offense. That's where defensive adjustments and individual hot routes come into play. Unless you are playing a casual player or someone who doesn't fully understand how offenses are run, you should be making adjustments before every play. I read all over the net about how the defense in this game is broken, but I'm my opinion, people need to pay attention to and understand the defensive side of the game as well as the offensive side. Doing your due diligence with defense will stop a lot of offensive track meets from happening.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

NOTE: I will be updating this post. I am also probably going to eventually turn this into a blog and link it in my signature later.

I too like to play as realistic as possible. I also accept that Madden has it's flaws. I use custom sliders and settings along with a custom playbook in Madden 12. I also made a some key ratings changes to improve game play in my roster file.

PART I
Settings

100 fatigue, 3 Injury, and custom coaching substitutions. This makes a huge difference in how the game plays. Having players with high or low stamina matters. The same with a high or low injury rating, even with only 3 injury.

I set every player to sub out at 1 and back in at 2 with the following exceptions: D-Line subs and line backers sub in at 4 [yes, those 2 points matter] and HBs sub out at 75 and back in at 85. You will see the #3 HB come in for about 4 or 5 plays a game with 12min quarters and accelerated clock.

Trust me, this is game changing in a very positive way. It makes ALL the ratings matter. As players get more and more exhausted they will play worse, which makes stars play at a higher level longer and stand out more [which we all want.]

Next, I use 100 speed threshold. This makes NFL speed matter more. I used to play with 0 speed threshold, but it felt more like High School Football. You only needed like 90 speed to out run linebackers who normally have around 86 speed. You can get to the corner very easily and break off plenty of huge runs. With 100 speed threshold, that 4 point difference is marginalized. Instead, you need 95+ speed [10+ point difference] to do the same thing. This also makes Line Backers Patrick Willis, Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, and others who have 88-91 speed that much better at hunting down backs sideline to sideline.

Combined with my fatigue settings, having a #2 HB come in with fresh legs after wearing down a defense can have a big impact late in a game. Trust me, these two changes impact game play in a sim fashion more than maybe any other changes I have ever made.

Finally, I use custom slider, and the most important of them all is 95 user Pass rush against 0 AI pass blocking. Anything less and the D-Line just plays patty cake with the O-line all day and will rarely use their moves. I reduced to 95 from 100 because 100 was actually over powering. 90 didn't have any pressure at all. 95 is the sweet spot for me. If you don't have good pass rushers, they will be ineffective [as they should] but good pass rushers DO make a difference.

Part II
Madden's problems and working around them

Basically, pass blocking is tied to the defensive play call. You are NEVER going to fool the offensive line without using a nano. I am not suggesting you use a nano, but acknowledge that a stunt or cross fire blitz simply won't "work" like it is supposed to.

Also, in real football, it can be a very good tactic to drop a defensive lineman into coverage and replace him with a pass rusher from somewhere else. This can confuse the blocking of the O-Line and the QB's reads. He sees a blitzing backer and doesn't notice the D-Lineman dropping into coverage. This can lead to picks and swats, or a moment of hesitation which can buy time for the pass rush. In Madden, none of this happens. All you do is drop someone with slow speed and low zone coverage skills while where you would rather have a linebacker or DB.

Let's take a look at two functionally identical plays from the 4-3 Stack in Madden 13, Weak Slant 3 and Sam Fire 3:

Both plays are cover 3, send 5 pass rushers with pressure coming off of the offensive right side and are a cover 3 shells with three hook zones over the middle. The difference is that Weak Slant 3 drops the RE into coverage and replaces him with a blitzing mike and the Will rolls over while Sam 3 Fire simply send all 4 linemen and the Sam. It's all about using your players to the best of their abilities.

Part III
The Plays

Along with never dropping defensive linemen into coverage, I also don't like sending less than 4 pass rushers at the QB on any given play. Just like in real life [if not worse] that gives the opposing QB all day as 5 linemen are asked to only block 3. You see, in real life, the O-line doesn't know where or if the blitzes are coming from. Even if you only send 3 in real life, you can bluff the bltiz, set up one-on-one with a good pass rusher and still get pressure. In Madden, the AI knows before the snap who is coming and where they are coming from. They know it's only 3 and us all 5 blockers to shut them down.

So, these two simple rules cut down how many plays I add to my custom book, but they make me a LOT more confident in what I call. To review: 1.) never drop a Defensive lineman into coverage. 2) Never send less than 4 pass rushers.

3-4 Cover 2

Spoiler

3-4 Cover 3

Spoiler

Basically, I tend to call Cover 3 on 1st downs, and mix in blitzes to keep the Offense honest to protect against deeper shots teams are willing to take on these "free downs" I try to force them to keep the play at short or mid range. I tend to go with Cover 2 looks on 2nd or 3rd and medium, again mixing blitzes in to keep the Offense honest and on it's toes. On 3rd and short I tend to go back to use plays with flats coverage or send the heat on a run blitz like Sting Pinch Zone.

The idea stays the same in nickle and dime looks, just the personnel changes.

Last edited by PGaither84; 10-02-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

So, I started a blog and my first 4 entries are on this subject. Link below in my signature.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Smile Re: Improve Defensive Gameplay without Nanos

Wow, you did a fantastic job outlining this all.

I have a problem when sending more than 4 guys to rush the passer on-line. Often the player or computer will recognize the blitz and throw a pass up the middle. I then get burned badly. I'd say the they get a 20-yard completion about 50% of the time.

Can you provide some tips on how to cover their receivers when it's so easy to complete passes in Madden 13?

Thanks so much!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »