Home

The AI will NEVER chase close pitches

This is a discussion on The AI will NEVER chase close pitches within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

OVR: 8
The AI will NEVER chase close pitches

I don't have any actual statistics from my games, so flame away, those who think everything is perfect.

I cannot for the life of me get the AI to swing on borderline pitches. I mix speeds, locations, start batters with breaking balls for strikes, throw heat, then back to the breaking ball out of the zone, throw fastballs to set up breaking balls. I just can't get them to chase... Even after fouling off 2-3 pitches they still have a perfect eye and won't swing at a very close ball. The only pitch I can consistently strike batters out on is an up and in fastball. I've tried playing on Vet and All-star with different slider sets and it's never really changed it.

This is extremely frustrating when you're pitching with someone like Barry Zito for example, who has a filthy 12-6, and you can't get anyone to chase it out of the zone.

I was also just pitching with R.A. Dickey and had his knuckleball dancing all around the zone but if it was even on the line (usually called a ball) or half a ball out of the zone they wouldn't chase it which made it very hard to pitch.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or slider changes to get the AI to chase more close pitches?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: The AI will NEVER chase close pitches

Search

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...sses-tips.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...h-8th-9th.html
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

I've already seen those threads and I searched the forums for 'chase pitches' and nothing recent came up. I didn't see anything in those threads about the AI not chasing close balls.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopershorty51
I've already seen those threads and I searched the forums for 'chase pitches' and nothing recent came up. I didn't see anything in those threads about the AI not chasing close balls.
never chase lmao, you are obviously not setting up your hitters correct read again
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
never chase lmao, you are obviously not setting up your hitters correct read again
Like I said, I've read the tips for mixing up your pitches and how to approach batters and to vary what you are throwing in what counts, and how you shouldn't get stuck in a routine. That doesn't matter though because for the life of me I can't get them to swing at borderline pitches and I know I'm not the only one having this issue.

With 2 strikes I've tried starting the curveball middle of the zone so it stays in the zone after the break, no luck. I've tried starting it low in the zone so it breaks out but not too much, no luck. I've tried starting it on the bottom line of the zone as some have suggested and I still can't get batters to chase.

I have no problem striking batters out with fastballs, it's primarily breaking balls that I can't use. A fastball up and in, fastball up out of the zone, or a 2-seam/RFB inside breaking toward the zone or outside breaking away all work fairly regularly like they should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Not only can you get them to chase close ones, if you are setting up the pitches with in/out up and down, and utilize your pitching smarts, they will chase balls in the dirt, and pitches that are not even close.

Think like a pitcher, and use your repertoire to lull them into a routine, and once you realize how to get them off balance, the game will open up for you.

Do yourself a favor and check where you have pitched a player using the pitch feedback screen.

You will soon start to see that your first pitch is a fastball down and away. Second pitch fastball down and in. Curveball away, fastball in again... Guess what, the batter knows what you are doing too.

So maybe when you see A-Rod the third time you bust off a change up in on his hands for the first pitch. Now looks at the feedback. Hmm... Way early and his PCI was out over the plate when you threw the ball inside. Guess what A-Rod? Here comes another off speed pitch, and this one is going inside again. This time he flails at it with that wacky inside out swing, and the feedback says he was late on that one... Hmm... He was looking offspeed again. Now we waste another curveball way inside. He takes it. Now we go ballzout with the 4seamer on the black, and watch him swing and miss it...

As bad as the interaction between baserunner/leadoffs and stealing is, the batter/pitcher interface is quite rewarding when you pitch smart and use your head, and will punish your mightily if you get lazy or predictable...

Keep at it, and use your head.

~syf
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show-sliders/

Lower CPU contact
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Not only can you get them to chase close ones, if you are setting up the pitches with in/out up and down, and utilize your pitching smarts, they will chase balls in the dirt, and pitches that are not even close.

Think like a pitcher, and use your repertoire to lull them into a routine, and once you realize how to get them off balance, the game will open up for you.

Do yourself a favor and check where you have pitched a player using the pitch feedback screen.

You will soon start to see that your first pitch is a fastball down and away. Second pitch fastball down and in. Curveball away, fastball in again... Guess what, the batter knows what you are doing too.

So maybe when you see A-Rod the third time you bust off a change up in on his hands for the first pitch. Now looks at the feedback. Hmm... Way early and his PCI was out over the plate when you threw the ball inside. Guess what A-Rod? Here comes another off speed pitch, and this one is going inside again. This time he flails at it with that wacky inside out swing, and the feedback says he was late on that one... Hmm... He was looking offspeed again. Now we waste another curveball way inside. He takes it. Now we go ballzout with the 4seamer on the black, and watch him swing and miss it...

As bad as the interaction between baserunner/leadoffs and stealing is, the batter/pitcher interface is quite rewarding when you pitch smart and use your head, and will punish your mightily if you get lazy or predictable...

Keep at it, and use your head.

~syf
Thank you for your quick response and your very helpful nature and tips. I try my best to not fall into the same routine but I may need to start monitoring this more closely just to make sure I'm not getting sucked in to any patterns.

Once again, thanks for the response/tips!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »