Home

Steal cancelling...

This is a discussion on Steal cancelling... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
Steal cancelling...

How do I cancel an order to steal? I had a slow Ian Stewart on second when I dropped my controller, and it accidentally hit L2. Stewart was toast at third. I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
MVP

mpbaseball22's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Steal cancelling...

Before the pitch is thrown step out of the box with the down on the Dpad
Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Rookie

djo201's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
How do I cancel an order to steal? I had a slow Ian Stewart on second when I dropped my controller, and it accidentally hit L2. Stewart was toast at third. I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything.
There isn't a button to cancel a steal, but you can press and hold R1 as the pitch is being delivered and he will back up. The problem is, if you hit the ball for a hit, he might not score on a play he should have.

Edit: or what mpbaseball22 said. I'd never thought of it that way.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7

Both of the suggestions above are the only solutions I know of. It would be nice if their was a steal cancel button, but it doesn't exist.

I don't know how many times I've sent some slow runner before realizing that it was in fact not the fast guy I thought was their lol.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I want to know how to retreat a runner pre-pitch.

For instance, I have a runner on second, take an extra lead, then they perform a pick-off move. I can see it days in advance, but I can't do **** to bring my runner back to the bag! I've tried everything in the book. It's annoying that I get picked off in this situation when I can get back clear as day.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

For instance, I have a runner on second, take an extra lead, then they perform a pick-off move. I can see it days in advance, but I can't do **** to bring my runner back to the bag! I've tried everything in the book. It's annoying that I get picked off in this situation when I can get back clear as day.
This is because pick-offs and leads still need to be worked on big time.
Weakest part of the game play IMO.
The animation gets "locked" when the pitcher gets to a certain point of the pickoff.
Better than what it used to be, but still needs work.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

A-MEN....

This really, really needs to be fixed for the next iteration, and honestly, this was one of the really fun parts of the game from 2005.

The mini game in and of itself, especially with a 2p game, was done perfectly.

What was great about it was how you had your finger on that back button when you were in the leadoff, so you were constantly aware of the lead, and if you saw the pitcher make his move to first, you could get back if your reflexes were quick enough, and if your lead was not so big.

As it stands now, it has NO bearing on getting back to the base via a user controlled input. Sweeney leads off, game rolls the virtual dice and one of three things happens:

He dives back in safely
He is picked off with the same sweep tag everyone is tagged out with
The ball is hurled 15 rows deep into right field

I have gotten to the point where I do not even lead off anymore. If I am going to steal, I call for the steal, and when I think the pitcher is about to throw it, I either tap the L1 for an extra step off right before the pitch, or I use the manual steal method, where you have to time your jump just before the pitcher comes home with the ball.

If you time it right, the runner will actually break just before the pitcher throws to the plate, and he is safe 100% of the time. Kind of like timing the steal based on reading the pitcher's move.

The flip side to this is that if the pitcher holds the ball a second or two longer, your runner takes off, and the pitcher steps off the rubber, and you are dead meat 100% of the time.

This is something that needs to be given top 5 priority for the next version of the game. Rolling die for steal probability/leadoff-pickoff probability and getting back safely to the bag is something I might expect out of a lesser competitor to The Show.

It is something that I would think would be a huge priority to do correctly for a game that prides itself on its authenticity.

We can have the correct number of LED's represented in the Jumbotron screen in Toronto, but getting back to the bag when you are leading off is a non-controllable probability equation??

I would expect we might see an update to this very important part of the game in the near future.

~syf
Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

I completely agree - with Knight too - my only solution is to just never take leads at all. I steal fairly consistently without em.

As for the OP, yeah the step-out-of-the-box thing is what I always do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »