Home

Check Swing Issue

This is a discussion on Check Swing Issue within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Rookie

smlmeyer's Arena

OVR: 9
Check Swing Issue

Let me start by saying I searched the bugs/glitches thread for this but didn't come up with anything. I'm playing with pure analog batting on Veteran difficulty with custom sliders.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes when I take a full swing, never intending to even let up a little bit, it will result in a check swing. Today I had a fastball right down the gut, a little high, waiting to be crushed 450 feet. I guessed the pitch and location, I go to put wood on that puppy and...check swing. Strike 2. I look at the Swing Analysis box. The yellow circle of where my contact is at is HUGE with the ball square in the middle. Stride timing was perfect, everything was perfect except for the check swing. Anybody have any explanation? I actually need a new controller anyhow so I'm gonna buy one today but a worn out analog stick be the culprit? That's the only thing I can even think of and I'm almost certain that that's the situation because also when I try to hold up for a check swing, even when I'm swinging for contact, it's nearly impossible to hold back. I'll pull back, push about halfway forward to about where the analog rests in static position, and it's a full swing. Just wanted to check OS for any input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Check Swing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlmeyer
Let me start by saying I searched the bugs/glitches thread for this but didn't come up with anything. I'm playing with pure analog batting on Veteran difficulty with custom sliders.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes when I take a full swing, never intending to even let up a little bit, it will result in a check swing. Today I had a fastball right down the gut, a little high, waiting to be crushed 450 feet. I guessed the pitch and location, I go to put wood on that puppy and...check swing. Strike 2. I look at the Swing Analysis box. The yellow circle of where my contact is at is HUGE with the ball square in the middle. Stride timing was perfect, everything was perfect except for the check swing. Anybody have any explanation? I actually need a new controller anyhow so I'm gonna buy one today but a worn out analog stick be the culprit? That's the only thing I can even think of and I'm almost certain that that's the situation because also when I try to hold up for a check swing, even when I'm swinging for contact, it's nearly impossible to hold back. I'll pull back, push about halfway forward to about where the analog rests in static position, and it's a full swing. Just wanted to check OS for any input.
I have had this happen to me a few times. Get a nice meat pitch and intend to do a full swing but my batter ends up check swinging. I was also thinking it may be my controller as well. May try getting a new controller as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've had that happen when I got I pushed too hard on the analog, when it hits the bottom, it will slip along the bottom edge and the horizontal motion will start the swing. When you push up, you end up pulling the stick back toward the middle, which reverses the horizontal motion and causes a check swing.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

ive had this same problem for the past two games. i dont think its an analog thing, because i use classic. as a result ive had to power swing in situations like that. im not sure how you do that with analog, but maybe it will help.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

This problem comes up for me at the very least once a game and has been happening since the first game played. It's already caused me a number of unintentional strikeouts in key spots and I've come dangerously close to shelving the game because of this. In trying to narrow down the cause I already ruled out a few things...

1. Its NOT the controller...between my year old controller and a friend's month old one its still happening at the same rate at about 1-3 times a game.

2. It happens with button AND analog...some posters here as well as the ShowNation forums have had this same problem with both methods.

3. It has nothing to do with Game mode being on/off...at least on my TV, happens on both settings.

4. Can happen whether your timing is good or not... like the OP said, the timing can be perfect, late or early with the ball centered in the contact circle, the hitter will refuse to finish his swing.

5. Can happen with power AND contact swings.

I should also mention that it tends to also happen with pitches OUT of the zone that I get fooled on when trying to swing, only to get the check swing instead. And I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the hitter's plate vision/discipline as it should mostly effect the success of an intentional check swing, and not a hitters decision to swing or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

I have noticed this too. i play buttons with zone. It happened most recently when I was playing a 2 player game with a friend. He asked why it was constantly check swinging when he was continuing to hold down the button.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Rookie

smlmeyer's Arena

Appreciate all the responses, guys!

Yeah, I had to pick up a new controller anyway because I had two. One that I always used that felt just kinda worn in and a second one that had a button sticking issue, which I hate. So I bought a Candy Pink controller. Don't judge. It's snazzy. I had it happen once since getting the new controller and it sounds like it's not gonna fix the issue. I guess I will pay more attention to making my stick movement straight and consistent. As one poster pointed out, sometimes when you move too quickly your stick movement is all over the place. However, the counterargument to that is that people with buttons have the same issue. That REALLY puzzles me.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

There has been a discussion on this the past year (for MLB 11) I remember, since I sometimes have the same issue. In my case, this tends to happen on an off-speed pitch, especially curveball.

The reason why this happens (as far as my experience is concerned), is that you are actually unintentionally releasing the R2 stick before you fully commit.

To me this happens often on an off-speed stuff, especially a hanging curveball. It goes like this... I tend to judge strike/ball right after the release of the pitch. So when I see a hanger, my initial reaction tends to be "okay, this will be a ball." But of course if it's a curveball, it's going to come down for a strike, so when I realize that, I end up committing. However, my thumb is so used to relax and release R3 as soon as I decide not to swing on my initial reaction, so when I "correct" my decision and tries to swing, the analog interface already thinks that I "checked."

At least this is one way the issue happens.

This happens less and less as I get more practice in, but can still happen time to time. I'm still trying to learn not to release R3 till the pitch comes to the plate, but kinda hard to change my habit that I have developed for a long time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »