Home

$120 Saved - No '13 Football for me

This is a discussion on $120 Saved - No '13 Football for me within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
$120 Saved - No '13 Football for me

I don't know if this thread will be locked or what....but I'm just done with EA football...the gameplay, the graphics, the commentary, features being axed then re-introduced as new, features being marketed as groundbreaking when nfl2k had them almost 10 yrs ago on a last-gen system.

I applaud EA's killer-instinct and foresight. They knew where nfl2k was headed...they saw an nba2k vs. nba live type of destiny for their flagship sports title (Madden) and took the necessary measures to ensure it didn't occur. I can respect that in some ways. Had I been at the helm of EA Sports, I'd have made the same move because, at the end of the day, it was an act of desperation. In those situations, you do what you have to do.

However, as a gamer, I consider EA's locking down of the NFL license one of the most tragic moments in gaming history.....not just sportsgaming....but GAMING history. Anytime the consumer's choice is eliminated...it's a bad thing. Whenever competition is eliminated...its wrong.

Its to the point now where I watch these gameplay/presentation videos for NCAA and Madden 13 and I just shake my head. There just isnt enough improvement to warrant giving up $120 for both or even $60 for one. I own the '12 versions of both titles. But those were the first EA Football purchases I've made since '06. Yep... 5 years....on average thats about how long it takes me to see significant enough upgrades to give up the cash for NCAA and/or Madden . So im not due for another EA football buy until next-gen.

But what do I do until then? When i play NBA2k12 ...it almost hurts my heart to even fathom what an NFL2k12 would look, sound and play like. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that the NFL License is freed up soon and 2k or some other innovative developer jumps into the arena with their take on the NFL. I know it'll be raw....but it'll be somethin different....somethin "other than". For me personally, that may be well worth 60 bucks.

Last edited by Kanobi; 05-15-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: $120 Saved - No '13 Football for me

Umm, yay you?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Rookie

nzldp4's Arena

OVR: 3

That's it ?!! 420 $ and still saving!!

Yay me!!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Dont know if you guys are just cheap but im really scratching my head.
For me its worth the 60 bucks each year just to know that im playing the newest version, be able to play all the rookies and experience those little tweaks they made, because so far, each madden felt a little bit different to me.
And by the way, im living in a country where you have to spend about 80$s for a game ;-)

Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
MVP

MrChainsaw's Arena

OVR: 11

Good for you. I plan on fully enjoying both games for what they are, because I love football and have no other options for modern football games. And I am perfectly okay with that.

Great thread, would read again.

Go Noles, Go Bucs, Go Pens, YNWA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

funny how you bash EA when the NFL put the license up for sale. Your discontent is misguided be angry with the NFL not EA. Don't forget that 2k did the same thing with the MLB license. IF you don't think the game has improved enough go ahead don't buy, but don't rock the boat with misguided hatred

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface-93
Dont know if you guys are just cheap but im really scratching my head.
For me its worth the 60 bucks each year just to know that im playing the newest version, be able to play all the rookies and experience those little tweaks they made, because so far, each madden felt a little bit different to me.
And by the way, im living in a country where you have to spend about 80$s for a game ;-)
Why throw your money away on something you don't like? Now the expectation of something better would entice me even if it was finally done by EA (Actually some of the "alleged" improvements this year got my notice, but how many times has the hype swallowed up the reality?), but you seem content with mediocrity plus updates. No knock against you, but I have been so BORED with Madden since forever.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Why throw your money away on something you don't like? Now the expectation of something better would entice me even if it was finally done by EA (Actually some of the "alleged" improvements this year got my notice, but how many times has the hype swallowed up the reality?), but you seem content with mediocrity plus updates. No knock against you, but I have been so BORED with Madden since forever.
Exactly! its got nothing to do with being cheap. As I said before, I own the '12 editions of Madden and NCAA and still play them. However, for me personally, the '13 versions don't appear to be worth a purchase. And as much as people bash NFL2k5, the fact that it's still in the conversation speaks volumes. Seriously, 'read and react' defense? DB head-tracking of the ball is finally in Madden? That's ridiculous but its one of the luxuries EA Sports has now that there's no competition. They can trickle out long overdue gameplay upgrades whenever they want and slap some catchy title on it to make it seem like they've broken new ground when the very same feature was introduced almost 10 years ago by 2k. And they get away with it because nobody outside of the hardcore fooball gaming community will Know any better or even care.

Last edited by Kanobi; 05-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »