Home

Regular Franchise vs Fantasy Draft

This is a discussion on Regular Franchise vs Fantasy Draft within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Regular Franchise vs Fantasy Draft

I was just curious about what everyone thought was more difficult and/or enjoyable long term, taking over an existing franchise or utilizing a fantasy draft franchise. I've started one of each, a regular Cubs franchise and a fantasy draft Cubs franchise, each with the same settings and base rosters, and I get conflicting results.

The regular Cubs franchise is a lot more difficult initially but I get absolutely zero joy out of it. I'm a Cubs fan, although disillusioned in recent years, so playing with guys I have minimal control over and have grown to hate (Soriano ) is just not that fun.

The fantasy draft franchise is a whole lot more fun, I love picking MY guys and setting up the entire organization how I want it, down to the prospects I select and I can create a team as I like it. Speed, defense, pitching, power, whatever. The problem is, it seems WAY too easy to have a loaded team. I've done a few fantasy drafts and try and keep a young, prospect laden team but it seems like I end up with a great organization top to bottom while the CPU teams maybe have less so. I still lost plenty of games (I play them all and struggle at times), but it seems like the team is just a whole lot better and the CPU doesn't draft well.

My main fantasy draft ended up having a starting lineup of Trout, Kemp, Harper in the OF (backed up by Jennings). Wright, Aviles, Kipnis, Butler in the IF (backed by Andino and Moustakas). Avila and Ramos catching. Dan Hudson, Drabek, Norris, Duffy were my main starters and my 5th starter ended up being Jarrod Parker and then Alexei Ogando. Chapman and Jansen as key RP.

That is a fairly solid, albeit young MLB roster. But my minor leagues were insane (and I specifically drafted these guys over more established players). My AAA rotation was Bauer, Bundy, Parker (when Ogando went to the rotation), Taillon, Cole. My AA rotation featured Skaggs. That is 5 A potential prospects in the rotation.

My AAA hitters included Wil Myers (who I returned to catcher), Mike Moustakas (after I demoted him), Anthony Rizzo and Jurickson Profar. All A potential. My AA hitters included Alex Presley (a current MLB guy), Bubba Starling, Josh Vitters and Mat Gamel. My three levels of teams were filled with about 15 top 30 real life prospects and a few more that have been up a year or two.

I guess I'm not sure which I prefer. I don't want to feel like I totally fleece the CPU in the fantasy draft, but I'd like to get more joy out of playing the game that franchise mode doesn't offer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Regular Franchise vs Fantasy Draft

I solely do fantasy drafts and I was just about to start a Cubs one as well! Nothing like bringing a championship to Chicago haha.

But as for my reasoning I just really like to get the players that I enjoy using and can preform well with. Also, I too have noticed that you can easily stack your team but I tend to try not to do it just by sometimes drafting a bit lower than you need to. I usually do about 30-35 rounds so as to not stack my farm and let the CPU do it so it's a bit more realistic. I generally draft a mix of young players but also a lot of aging vets as sort of "mentors" to keep it even more realistic. One last positive to doing a fantasy draft is that if you're not using 30-team control then the wacky trades the CPU makes won't really both you because everyone is already all jumbled up anyway. My only negative is I often can't bring myself to draft players like Jeter and Mariano Rivera because it's too strange to see them on another team.

Sorry for the slight wall of text but I hope this helps!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I always go with fantasy draft. My reasoning is that the Phillies play in real life and I watch them. I don't see any reason that I need to play in a video game with them too. I do see why people like the realism of playing with the real rosters though.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

I haven't tried fantasy draft much, though I've toyed with the idea and made some teams, but I never liked the way it turned out and I never ran with it for a full dynasty. What I like about it is the draft itself, then I get bored with it. I'm more of a regular franchise guy.

Anyway, more to the point, this might be a place where to mitigate your problems you might institute some "house rules"-- maybe by going with 30 team control, which I assume means you do the whole draft yourself, and trying to make good decisions for each team (or specific decisions for each team--Yankees go for high priced older guys, Cubs go for guys with high potential who then don't pan out--jk), then when you get to the team you really intend to control, you're faced with a board that's more realistic, because each team really is trying to build a balanced team. So you won't end up getting all the A prospects. Too much trouble, perhaps, but it might help avoid the specific situation you mentioned. I find, and I know a lot of others do, that you just have to make the decision sometimes of letting the CPU be stupid or taking extra steps to make sure things happen the right way. And if I'm being completely honest, I make different decisions in different situations, so I'm not at all a hardcore "no cheating" guy. I play offline, if I'm cheating anyone, I'm cheating myself, so it's nobody else's business or concern. It's all about making the experience rewarding for you as the player.

Just had another thought, if you want to stay with the good, young team you have: you say you play your games, right? So maybe do some random changing up of the way you play, like randomly bump the hitting difficulty up to HOF level for one game, so your young team "mysteriously" goes into a slump when facing, say, Roy Halladay, or mess with the sliders occasionally to reflect the unpredictability of having such a young roster. Because you know if you had a team made up of all young star prospects, there would be some weird things that happened, without experienced veteran players to balance things out. Just thinking. Anyway, I stick by my statement above, it's all about getting the max enjoyment out of the game, anybody else's opinion be damned. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

OVR: 1

I like fantasy draft as well, but I agree with you, it's seems way to easy to have an all-star lineup, espcially if you don't have any house rules about trading (ridiculously easy in this game).

I just did one, using the Marlins, had the 4th pick in the 1st round. My first three picks were Ryan Braun, Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson...but I pretty much completely changed my starters after the draft, when I realized they were all right-handed.

*Acquired by trades

PITCHERS
*David Price*
*Ubaldo Jimenez*
*Matt Moore*
*Anibal Sanchez*
Vance Worley

(Minors: Edinson Volquez, Matt Harvey, Shelby Miller, Randall Delgado, Julio Teheran, Carlos Martinez, Tyler Skaggs)

BULLPEN
Jake McGee
David Hernandez
Rhiner Cruz
*Kerry Wood*
David Robertson
Jonny Venters
*Jordan Walden*

(Minors: Carlos Gutierrez, *Philippe Aumont*)

INFIELDERS
C - *Carlos Santana*, Ivan Rodriguez
1B - Justin Smoak, Jonathan Singleton
2B - Marco Scutaro
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Erick Aybar

(Minors: Devin Mesoraco, Anthony Rizzo, Delino Deshields, Jean Segura, Will Middlebrook, Anthony Rendon, Jurickson Profar, Yordy Cabrera)

OUTFIELDERS
LF - Ryan Braun, *Brett Gardner*
CF - Adam Jones, Brett Jackson
RF - Bryce Harper, Ryan Sweeney

(Minors: Michael Choice, Oscar Taveras)

I don't know if I'll keep this one going, as I find it highly unrealsitic...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopershorty51
I solely do fantasy drafts and I was just about to start a Cubs one as well! Nothing like bringing a championship to Chicago haha.

But as for my reasoning I just really like to get the players that I enjoy using and can preform well with. Also, I too have noticed that you can easily stack your team but I tend to try not to do it just by sometimes drafting a bit lower than you need to. I usually do about 30-35 rounds so as to not stack my farm and let the CPU do it so it's a bit more realistic. I generally draft a mix of young players but also a lot of aging vets as sort of "mentors" to keep it even more realistic. One last positive to doing a fantasy draft is that if you're not using 30-team control then the wacky trades the CPU makes won't really both you because everyone is already all jumbled up anyway. My only negative is I often can't bring myself to draft players like Jeter and Mariano Rivera because it's too strange to see them on another team.

Sorry for the slight wall of text but I hope this helps!
Most of that is why I prefer fantasy draft at this point. I also don't select guys like Rivera or Jeter or long time with one team players just because it feels weird. I like young guys for that purpose.

I'll probably just start over again, one fantasy draft franchise and try and limit the back loading of talent in the minors. Now my problem becomes what team. I am a Cubs fan first and foremost, but watching the Cubs daily and seeing all those same teams makes the stadiums and such dull. Originally I wanted to do Pittsburgh because PNC Park is fantastic, but I find it hard to get invested in the Phillies. I may do the Diamondbacks or Royals, who are my two other teams. Not sure yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Pro

dbacks_Nation's Arena

OVR: 7

Fantasy Drafts seem about as fun as a stick in the eye.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Pro

Troopershorty51's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Most of that is why I prefer fantasy draft at this point. I also don't select guys like Rivera or Jeter or long time with one team players just because it feels weird. I like young guys for that purpose.

I'll probably just start over again, one fantasy draft franchise and try and limit the back loading of talent in the minors. Now my problem becomes what team. I am a Cubs fan first and foremost, but watching the Cubs daily and seeing all those same teams makes the stadiums and such dull. Originally I wanted to do Pittsburgh because PNC Park is fantastic, but I find it hard to get invested in the Phillies. I may do the Diamondbacks or Royals, who are my two other teams. Not sure yet.
If you want to stay NL I'd say choose the Nationals, nice jerseys and a pretty cool stadium. However, if you want to try AL, I'd have to say the Orioles mostly because their my favorite team but there's nothing like making a team that hasn't had a winning season since 1997 into a winner. Plus it doesn't get better than Camden Yards. (Except for Fenway and Wrigley.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »