Home

Catcher Calling a Terrible Game

This is a discussion on Catcher Calling a Terrible Game within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Catcher Calling a Terrible Game

Playing RTTS as a SP. My double-A catcher is a moron. He calls for sliders to start an at-bat and belt-high changeups with an 0-2 count. He's actually called for some belt-high sinkers, too. Does this get better or should I just start throwing whatever I want? I'm not getting many strikeouts, but when I go with what he calls, I get absolutely lit up!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Catcher Calling a Terrible Game

You don't have to go by what your catcher calls. Just shake off and make your pitch.

I kinda feel API doesn't call as good a game down in minors. Not sure if API is different at different levels or with lower attributes...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Rookie

h4mbon3s's Arena

Throw whatever you want. The catchers in the minors usually don't call good games.
Mizzou
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Rookie

lilgame06's Arena

OVR: 3

i feel like sometimes, the cpu will purposely make your catcher make odd calls to give your cpu opponent a chance at rallying on you...particularly if your team is leading or your pitcher is hot.

Ive started to pick up on a trend where if I have the lead going into the 6th and 7th innings, the cpu starts hacking away at everything. The two pitches that the catcher seems to call that get smacked for homers in times of desperate measures are the change up down and in, and the slider down and in. Whenever the catcher calls for it, i just ignore it and pitch elsewhere, cause i feel like im being set up for failure. there are times where its an appropriate pitch...but that time never seems to be when the computer is down in a close game.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgame06
i feel like sometimes, the cpu will purposely make your catcher make odd calls to give your cpu opponent a chance at rallying on you...particularly if your team is leading or your pitcher is hot.

Ive started to pick up on a trend where if I have the lead going into the 6th and 7th innings, the cpu starts hacking away at everything. The two pitches that the catcher seems to call that get smacked for homers in times of desperate measures are the change up down and in, and the slider down and in. Whenever the catcher calls for it, i just ignore it and pitch elsewhere, cause i feel like im being set up for failure. there are times where its an appropriate pitch...but that time never seems to be when the computer is down in a close game.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2043493906
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Rookie

How do you shake off your catcher?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagiorgio
How do you shake off your catcher?
You just make your own pitch selection and location regardless of what the API calls. Nothing special you need to do.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgame06
The two pitches that the catcher seems to call that get smacked for homers in times of desperate measures are the change up down and in
That's a pitch you should never throw anyway. If you're throwing a change-up for a strike it should be on the outside portion of the plate. Throwing it anywhere else in the strike zone is just asking for the ball to get crushed. If you ever see a pitcher in real life throw a change-up in the inner part of the zone, he missed his spot badly.

The API calls for some really stupid pitches at times. If you're going to use it, be willing to ignore it sometimes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »