Home

How do I avoid having guys on 40-man roster use option before each season?

This is a discussion on How do I avoid having guys on 40-man roster use option before each season? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Rookie

Austin Hawk's Arena

OVR: 1
How do I avoid having guys on 40-man roster use option before each season?

I'm about to start my second season in franchise mode and I noticed that all the guys that were called up last September are still listed on my MLB roster. This is a problem when spring rolls around and I can only have 25 of course. But when I try to move them back down to AAA where they belong, the CPU keeps prompting me that I'm using up one of their options.

How do I avoid this? Can I go in after the World Series in the fall and move players back down to AAA without incurring the option? At this rate my young guys will be out of options by the age of 22 even though they are not ready to play full time MLB.

I wish there was a way to simplify the roster stuff without turning all control over the the AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Rookie

fullmetal2405's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How do I avoid having guys on 40-man roster use option before each season?

Well your 40-man roster will be on the MLB team during spring training anyway. Only way I've found to move them down before the season is, unfortunately, to use a minor league option.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Austin Hawk's Arena

I also don't know how to sign a free agent and avoid having them placed on the 40-man roster by default. I just signed a veteran 35 year old 1st baseman just to fill out roster slots for my minor leaguers and he was placed on MLB and out of options, so the only way to send him down was to put him through waivers.

He was lowest rated 1st baseman in FA, so you would think I could have the option to sign him to a AA or AAA contract.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Rookie

dutch4404's Arena

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a way to sign someone to a minor league contract. And in real life if u send a guy to minors during spring training it uses an option.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Rookie

sacbillsfan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch4404
I may be wrong but I don't think there is a way to sign someone to a minor league contract. And in real life if u send a guy to minors during spring training it uses an option.
This. And it is the reason why teams will keep young prospects off the 40 man roster until they are eligible for the Rule 5 draft and they are not ready to contribute at the ML level. I know I put my young A potential players on the 40 man just so I can use them in September, but in reality you'd rarely see a raw player with high potential on the 40 man during his first season. Bryce Harper is the exception because he's ML ready in the minds of Nationals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Austin Hawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacbillsfan
This. And it is the reason why teams will keep young prospects off the 40 man roster until they are eligible for the Rule 5 draft and they are not ready to contribute at the ML level.
But if I have a very young "A" potential prospect (Taijuan Walker) and I don't put him on the 40-man roster, isn't he able to be picked up by another team if he doesn't sign a contract in the offseason?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Hawk
But if I have a very young "A" potential prospect (Taijuan Walker) and I don't put him on the 40-man roster, isn't he able to be picked up by another team if he doesn't sign a contract in the offseason?
I could be wrong, as I haven't made it to the off season yet, but I think that all young players are under team control for 6 years. Meaning someone like Walker or any 18-19 year old player even if they are not on the 40 man they will sign as long as you offer them a contract. Of course after awhile they will be eligible for the rule 5 draft if not added to the 40 man.

As far as the original question, there is no way to have someone on the 40 man and send them to the minor leagues with out using an option. The one thing to keep in mind is options are years not times sent down. So if you send a player down in spring training you can call them up/send them down as much as you want during that year and only use 1 option. Giving you 3 years before the player is out of options.

Last but not least If you have an opening on you 40 man roster most times older FA's will be assigned to your 40 man. My suggestion would be just remove him from your 40 man. If he is that lowly rated he should make it through waivers. Just make sure to save a second copy of your franchise in case he does get claimed you can go back to the other save.

Sorry for the long post hope that helps.

Last edited by zippy2212; 04-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Rookie

Austin Hawk's Arena

Thanks Iron - that helps, though I found out through trial about the older scrappy vet getting through waivers. And I have at least a dozen different save points throughout my season, lol - I'm so paranoid about not understanding a lot of roster and budget mechanics.

Going back to your first point about a young player signing any contract - I had a couple of guys not sign (they were expendable and I didn't offer much) - but hypothetically what if Taijuan Walker doesn't sign a reasonable deal? I offered him 2 years at 500,000 a year (reasonable I thought considering he still wasn't on my 40-man roster and was only playing AAA ball - he was about to turn 20).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »