Home

The Oakland Athletics

This is a discussion on The Oakland Athletics within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Rookie

RunningTheNight's Arena

OVR: 6
The Oakland Athletics

So, for all of you taking on the Athletics in franchise, how's it going? What's your approach?

Are you following Billy Bean's strategy, or are you going down your own strategical path? How are you dealing with the veterans, like Bartolo Colon, Brian Fuentes, and Cliff Pennington? Are you dealing them, and if you are, who? Where does Cespedes go at the end of the two-year deal? How are you approaching the future?

PSN: RunningTheNight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Rookie

B Easy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Oakland Athletics

I was going to start a Texas Rangers 'chise but decided to go with a more of challenge, so I'm going with the A's.

I play on playing it close to the vest in the beginning, similar to the real life A's. I think over time I'll look to deal some of their young pitching for a few bats. Guys like Fuentes and Balfour are good pieces to move around the deadline.

I'm really excited about playing with the younger hitters they have. Cespedes, Weeks, Derek Norris, Michael Taylor, Michael Choice, Chris Carter and Grant Green all will probably be in my line up at some point in the season too. Should be a load of fun to try and go with what I have and see if its good enough to sneak into the playoffs.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Rookie

I opened a thread bout my shise check out how its going , right now we are 8-16, 9 games out of first place, i think Cespedes has a 3 year deal.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...b-12-show.html
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTheNight
So, for all of you taking on the Athletics in franchise, how's it going? What's your approach?

Are you following Billy Bean's strategy, or are you going down your own strategical path? How are you dealing with the veterans, like Bartolo Colon, Brian Fuentes, and Cliff Pennington? Are you dealing them, and if you are, who? Where does Cespedes go at the end of the two-year deal? How are you approaching the future?
I decided to go with my own plan. I kept most of my major league ready down in the minors for at least the first year. Parker got his first taste in 2013 or 2014, Cole in 2015, Green 2015, Choice 2015, and Norris 2014. I traded Balfour and Fuentes during the 2013 or 2014 offseason. I let go of Sizemore and Gomes after 2012. I decided to move Green to SS and let go of Pennington in 2014 and got Bartlett just as a back up. Susuki was let during 2014. Weeks signed to a 5 year deal in 2014 and the same for Cespedes. McCarthy was let go in 2014. Braden in 2013 as a FA and Anderson as a FA in 2014. Here is the 2015 lineup.

C: Derek Norris
1B: Ike Davis
2B: Jemile Weeks
3B: Mike Olt
SS: Grant Green
LF: Michael Taylor
CF: Yoenis Cespedes
RF: Michael Choice
DH: Josh Reddick

Bench:
SS Jason Bartlet
C Anthony Recker
CF Jorge Soler
1B Chris Carter

Rotation:
LHP Matt Moore
RHP AJ Cole
RHP Aaron Crow
RHP Jarrod Parker
LHP Tommy Milone

Bullpen:
LR Nestor Molina
MR Joe Thatcher
MR Fautino De Los Santos
MR Addison Reed
SU Mark Melancon
SU Burke Badenhopper
CL Matt Capps

I use Davis and Carter as a platoon at first. I also used Baseball Instinct 360 for ETA's and Baseball America to see what my 2015 lineup would or should be without trades. What's nice about Baseball Instinct is that it has 360 prospects all with ETA's so it can give you any prospect you need really.

http://baseballinstinct.com/2012/01/...pects-40-to-1/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...rospects/2012
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Rookie

Those two links are solid! This should help out as to when call up guys, btw did not know Green was moved to the INF, BA has him as future 3B and you moved him to SS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScrubCity
Those two links are solid! This should help out as to when call up guys, btw did not know Green was moved to the INF, BA has him as future 3B and you moved him to SS.
Ya. I just had too many outfielders and I had to find a place. I signed him after 2012 to a 10 year 10 million dollar contract, so I had to give him a shot. I've looked at BA before but never implemented into my franchise until this one franchise and I just randomly found the baseball instinct while googling prospects
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
C*m* *n y** Sp*rs!

TheEnglishHombre's Arena

OVR: 12

Just started a A's franchise yesterday. Added manual injuries, so I'm playing a few ST games to give each of the potential back-end starters a try, see who's windup/pitch selection I can work with. Despite some pretty shoddy ratings and a curveball that barely breaks more than his change, actually pitched OK with Godfrey for a few innings.

So far, really liking that they have a few guys with speed. Loving Cespedes, too; absolutely mashed one out to straight-away center first game, and speed is enough to make him a threat to steal and give OF range.

As for the vets, thinking I'll probably keep Pennington and Colon, but ship out Fuentes. Might try to trade Balfour, too, but I do like pitching with him, so not sure.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Rookie

Just looked it up and green was a SS before the move to CF, because he was laking range and had some D problems. I might make that move also to either SS or 3B

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »