Home

Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

This is a discussion on Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

Does it affect accuracy if held too short or too long?

What bout speed if held too short or too long?

I know if held too long there's a vibration but I don't know what that means.

Can anyone confirm?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboshed
Does it affect accuracy if held too short or too long?

What bout speed if held too short or too long?

I know if held too long there's a vibration but I don't know what that means.

Can anyone confirm?
The vibration means max effort you are putting behind the pitch. So you can have varying degrees of effort applied to the pitch giving you more or less movement depending on the pitch.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15

I believe they call the vibration max effort. I know a lot of people have their own ideas about it, but I've always used it and found the best results for me is when I hold the button until the top of the leg kick or beginning of stride (if no leg kick). Try it and see what you think.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

It was confirmed by Ramone@SCEA that the vibration means the max effort (also see Brian@SCEA's most recent thread on Research Poll).

You'll get more movement and/or velocity but will lose a bit of command with the max effort I believe. I think there was a brief description in the in-game strategy guide (Pitching section) as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

Also, keep in mind, a pitcher throwing from the Stretch will usually release much quicker than from Windup.

So you have less time to work with when pitching from Stretch.

I love Classic Pitching!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Pro

jtott's Arena

OVR: 4

I too play with classic pitching... have been for years. The longer you hold "x" down, you do get more "umph" behnd the pitch , but you lose accuracy with it... example : lets say you're throwing a fastball on the corner, down and outside.. holding the x button down too long could cause that pitch to go way outside , up and out of the zone, or if your lucky .. right where you wanted it... but the latter rarely happens.

Now lets say you are throwing a curveball ... holding down the x button too long usually puts that ball in the dirt... or leaves it hanging .... and it gets crushed!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtott
I too play with classic pitching... have been for years. The longer you hold "x" down, you do get more "umph" behnd the pitch , but you lose accuracy with it... example : lets say you're throwing a fastball on the corner, down and outside.. holding the x button down too long could cause that pitch to go way outside , up and out of the zone, or if your lucky .. right where you wanted it... but the latter rarely happens.

Now lets say you are throwing a curveball ... holding down the x button too long usually puts that ball in the dirt... or leaves it hanging .... and it gets crushed!
But if the longer button press "works," your fastball will be faster and move better. Your curve will have more bite.

It's a risk-benefit game .... the longer you hold the button the riskier territory you are in. Just like real life, when you throw harder, good or bad things can happen.

And the results are dictated more by player ratings, and less by my ability to push buttons in time with watching stuff. A four-year-old can do that.

I love Classic Pitching!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

I use classic pitching and this thread may help me pitch better. I find my control better with certain pitchers, the ones with a high kick. Maybe I should make all my pitchers have the same delivery

Seriously, this thread is really great information for those of us needing help with Classic pitching. Thanks to all who contributed

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »