Home

Strat O matic

This is a discussion on Strat O matic within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Strat O matic

Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you fellas still get strat o matic? I have never got it before and am kind of on the fence about getting it. I just dont know if a card based board game would really hold my interest. I would probably get it If I didnt play the show and OOTP thats why I thought I would get some opinions first.

Jeremy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Rookie

jmount78's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Strat O matic

I have always wanted to play it, but I too play the Show and OOTP so not sure as well. I have listened to interviews on MLB Radio where a lot of players still play it.

If you get it, let us know your impressions.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB
Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you fellas still get strat o matic? I have never got it before and am kind of on the fence about getting it. I just dont know if a card based board game would really hold my interest. I would probably get it If I didnt play the show and OOTP thats why I thought I would get some opinions first.

Jeremy
Absolutely. I have mentioned it before, but I far more enjoy table top sports games than I do console sports games. I have Strat O Matic, Dynasty League, Ball Park, Replay, and Inside Pitch baseball games that I play all the time.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Rookie

I haven't played the computer version in many years so I can't really give much insight on that aspect. However, I have played the tabletop version off and on for close to 30 years. There are a number of good baseball games out there, but I give the edge to Strat over the rest of them.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Strat is a game based solely on replaying a past season. There is no GM/career aspect of the game like in OOTP.

2) I would highly recommend getting the game with the card image option so you can see where the results are coming from. You have to order the option up front; it cannot be added later.

3) If your budget allows you may want to consider buying the computer game with card image and the actual player cards. Even if you have no interest in playing the tabletop version you could always Ebay the cards and recoup some of your money.

4) Strat is all about re-creating stats. It is light years behind The Show in terms of graphics.

Personally, I say go for it unless you really want a game with a career mode.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Pro

Thanks for the tips guys, I would really like to play it but I may just stick with the show on the PS3 and MVP for the PC as well as OOTP.

The big thing that is stopping me is the price. To order the current game and have it shipped to me here in Canada is $75. It kind of seems like a big chunk of money to spend and money is tight right now. I am pretty good with my money, and when I get the should I or Shouldnt I get it, pop into my head that always means to me to not get it. So I might just hold off on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 19

You may want to check this out if the full version is too expensive.

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/product...ball-lite-2011

If you like it, you can always upgrade to the full version. While Strat is nowhere near the console games as far as presentation goes, the actual sim game engine is the best. The only console baseball game I own is PYS6. I just can't get into MLB2k or MLB The Show because Strat's gameplay is that good. You can replay league schedules, draft and trade your own custom league, buy previous seasons, try the Negro League set, mix and match as you like. The results are realistic. No complaints about cheats, glitching. You use your head, not your thumbs in Strat.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Strat-O-Matic Baseball is an awesome game. I use the computer version, but manually roll the dice and input the dice results. If you replay one of their "as played" seasons, the statistics put up by the players are very realistic.

I've been wondering, though, about OOTP baseball. Is OOTP a replay simulation like Strat, or can you use current rosters?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Rookie

Whereas Strat is geared towards strictly replaying past seasons, OOTP is more of a GM simulation. In other words, with OOTP you pick a franchise and then try to build a winning team through trades, drafting, signing free agents, etc. The idea is to take over a franchise and guide it, hopefully, to success over a number of seasons.

You can manage each game if you wish or setup a manager profile based on your preferences and then sim through games while concentrating on building your team's roster and minor league system.

Although both games are baseball sims they are different types of sims, if that makes sense. If you've ever dreamed of running a baseball team from year to year then OOTP is an excellent choice. If you're familiar with the Football Manager series then think of OOTP as the baseball equivalent.

Also, to answer your question regarding rosters: when the newest version of OOTP ships next month it will feature a roster of current players from MLB level down to Single A. I didn't buy last years version, but in the last one of I have (OOTP11) you could also start from a past season. For example, you could take control of the Yankees in 1950 and then guide the franchise from that point in time forward.

To be honest, if you are only interested in replaying a certain season you would probably be better off sticking with Strat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »