Home

Official DDS: College Basketball 2 Thread

This is a discussion on Official DDS: College Basketball 2 Thread within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Official DDS: College Basketball 2 Thread

Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2 is a very in-depth text base simulation game made by Wolverine Studios which was released this past fall.

It's features includes:

Brand New Assistant Coach mode

For the first time ever you don't have to be the top dog. You'll get the opportunity to play in the game world as an assistant coach specializing in one of the three assistant coach jobs (recruiting, scouting, practice) - your decisions will have a direct impact on the success of your team. Along with this feature comes the enhancement of the computer assistants - your assistants will be more important than ever and it will be important for you to hire the best assistants possible as well as the ones that fit best with your philosophies.

Brand New Alternate Universe : Promotion/Relegation

Looking for a new challenge to the game? Try this mode and watch the collegiate universe get turned upside down. All 352 teams are stripped from their conferences and placed into 22 16-team conferences with the 16 highest prestige teams in "Conference A" and so forth. At the end of each regular season the top 12 teams advance to the conference tournament and the postsesaon plays out as it normally does with each conference tournament winner getting an invite to the big dance. However, since the basic system remains the same the at large bids certainly will be weighted towards the best conferences. The top four teams in the regular season standings are promoted to the next best conference in the following season with the four who missed the conference tournament being relegated down a conference. In this mode conference affiliation also plays a major role in determining the budget for each school to spend on coaches and recruits so the advantages to being in (and staying in) "Conference A" are certainly numerous.

The "DII Challenge" / New Teams

The team list has been bumped up to 352 teams - 5 of which are participants in the "DII Challenge". These teams serve as Independents in the game, playing a full season schedule against each other and the other DI teams with some major differences. Aside from the lowest recruiting budgets in the game, DII teams don't have to adhere to the game's minimum grade requirements allowing them to take the players who do not qualify for the DI schools but they are not eligible for postseason play and without that draw will see good players want to transfer out to more prestigious schools later in their careers. The challenge for you is to string together a significant number of successful seasons and bring your school's prestige above zero to be a fully qualified DI school in the game. Are you up to the challenge?

Brand New "GameView" Coaching mode

We've added a brand new way to coach out your games in DDS: College Basketball 2. If you're not a fan of the 2D display then you can play out your games in this mode which streamlines all the game information into one screen area while replacing the full screen court with a small display for shots taken and a vibrant play by play recap area in addition to the full text play by play.

Brand New Postseason - 68 Team Tournament and 3rd Postseason Tournament

The primary postseason tournament has been redone to mimic the 68 team setup, allowing for four play in games. In addition to that a third, 16-team postseason tournament has been added into the mix allowing even more teams to go to postseason play.

Progressive Injury Healing

This has always been an area of the game I wanted to improve on from the “realism” factor. Sure the player was out for two months with a broken wrist but in the past that meant that for 60 game days he was at 0% health and then 100% back on day 61. Now players will heal progressively over time giving you the opportunity (and risk) of bringing a player back early. So yes, you can play that player with a torn ACL two weeks before his injury was supposed to be healed…he might be at 90% only and you’re risking re-injury but now the game realizes and accounts for the 11.5 months he has already sat out and had surgery and rehabbed making this much more realistic of a feature.

Many Requested New Minor Features

Your feedback has always been the driving force in the game and some of the most popular items suggested are already in with many more to be added during FirstAccess. The list includes a lockable sub matrix you can reset back to after you have made changes for injuries or other reasons, the ability to play without being fired from your school, revamped and functionally improved recruiting screens, tracking of assistant coach's jobs over his career, tracking of double doubles and triple doubles by season and career, the ability to delete all emails at once, brand new team and individual stat leader screens and so much more!

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/ddscb2p2.html

OS review on the original game back in 2008

Quote:
Where $5,000 is the expense to bribe players with celebrity meetings

As mentioned above, a bulk of your time is spent on recruiting. This has always been an issue with college sports text games—how much should the game simply be about recruiting? Unlike professional games, where you can have 10 or even 15 years with the same star quarterback or shooting guard, you have constant turnover in college games. Also, the nature of recruiting is much different than a professional draft/free agency.

In this area, Draft Day really provides a fun recruiting experience: The season starts every year with the team buying scouting reports, regionally and nationally. Then, you choose which national summer tournaments to scout in-person, and thus get more accurate player ratings. After that, you must become surrogate girlfriends with the players, as you must call them, invite them to your school, visit their homes, and watch them in live games. Also, in a clear nod to the Kelvin Sampson school of recruiting, you can still woo players who have committed but not yet signed Letters of Intent.

As for the phone calls, Draft Day has brought a new innovation, in that when you call a recruit, you can choose among three categories: General (get info about parents and interest in your school), Pitch (what is important to the recruit), and Bribe (you can offer a celebrity meeting $5,000 or even an apartment $20,000). The Bribes will get you busted with sanctions from the NCAA if you offer it up too much, but offering a new car to a hot recruit may not even lasso them in, as the player may remark that is “not my style.” The whole thing screams Nick Nolte and "Blue Chips."

The recruits seem to have a believable balance of skills and the talent seems to be spread accurately across the country, though the No. 1 recruit my first season was a 5-foot-9 point guard.
http://www.operationsports.com/revie...ge-basketball/

Last edited by Jukeman; 03-18-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Re: Official DDS: College Basketball 2 Thread

There is real world mod out that gives your game real team names and logos, conference names and logos along with tournament names and logos.

I am planing on taking it a step farther with real players and coaches since this will pretty much be the closest thing to an up to date college basketball game for us coach mode players.

Any help on this project will definitely be appreciated. I hope we can build a strong community for this underrated game together.

Here's an example of the real players/coaches mod.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

I've played around with DDS' pro basketball sim a few years ago and it was very good, but I couldn't afford to buy the full game. Five years later, they have released their second edition of their college basketball game and I love it! Very underrated and as deep a dynasty/career mode as I can handle. If you're like myself and Jukeman and need to scratch that college basketball itch, this may be the game for you.

Also, if you do get the game, we will be attempting to put together the real player names and pictures. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
We must work really hard guys for make this game as real as possible ...come on

Inviato dal mio LG-P500 usando Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Jukeman, this looks GREAT! How accurate are the stats and leaders each season? What about the recruiting?? What kind of info can you give on this?? I am interested but I would like to know a little more about it.. Thanks TAF
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

This looks awesome.

I know there was some discussion for guys using Macs, but what program do you guys use to be able to play this? I have bootcamp, if thats one of the options.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
This looks awesome.

I know there was some discussion for guys using Macs, but what program do you guys use to be able to play this? I have bootcamp, if thats one of the options.
Get Parallels 7.
(bootcamp if you don't want to buy Parallels)

With coherence mode in Parallels, it is like the game runs straight from your Mac.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf2k7
Jukeman, this looks GREAT! How accurate are the stats and leaders each season? What about the recruiting?? What kind of info can you give on this?? I am interested but I would like to know a little more about it.. Thanks TAF
Stats are great (Im anal about details like this) you may see some anomalies but If you are content with the stats that CHoops2k or NCAA Basketball spits out then you'll love the statistics in this game.

Recruiting is very deep. You can only scouts HS Sr's and Juco players but its 2x's as deep as College hoops 2k8's recruiting. As mention in the old OS review for the first version on this game, you can actually bribe players and get infractions for it. Players can also become academically ineligible.

The game is also compatible with their Pro game which means you can export draft classes to it and see how your recruits perform as Pros

Last edited by Jukeman; 03-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »