Home

Overall to Potential

This is a discussion on Overall to Potential within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1
Overall to Potential

John Axford is rated A for Overall but has B for Potential in the original roster. Does that mean he is going downhill?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OSfan093's Arena

OVR: 3
Angry Re: Overall to Potential

i believe it does. i've seen multiple instances of this on players that are young. Evan Meek is the one that really makes me angry. he was an all star 2 years ago, and he's in his 20s. the games rates him at a B overall with C potential. How is that possible? can SCEA forsee some terrible season in the future for him with their fortune telling abilities. there is no reason to put a guy's potential lower than his overall unless he is older, at least like 33. and injuries are not a reason because you can just drop the durability attribute to represent his injury prone nature.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Overall to Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
John Axford is rated A for Overall but has B for Potential in the original roster. Does that mean he is going downhill?
I remember in '10 he had F potential, so in franchise he would drop 5 points every year, even though he wasn't even bad in '09, same thing with Jason Vargas - both pitchers had great years in 2010
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

This is why I think we need a dynamic potential rating. It doesn't need to be solely based on performance though or stick skills would result in anyone getting A potential. But this wouldn't only help with younger players it would also help with the decline of older players. I'm not exactly sure what else they could/would use along with numbers to decide but theres only a certain amount of realism you can get when you know what this prospect will become or won't become. You'll never get a Jose Batista with the pot system we have now.

Don't get it twisted though I love this game, its just this would be one upgrade that would really really help put franchise over the top.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Link to my YouTube.
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSfan093
i believe it does. i've seen multiple instances of this on players that are young. Evan Meek is the one that really makes me angry. he was an all star 2 years ago, and he's in his 20s. the games rates him at a B overall with C potential. How is that possible? can SCEA forsee some terrible season in the future for him with their fortune telling abilities. there is no reason to put a guy's potential lower than his overall unless he is older, at least like 33. and injuries are not a reason because you can just drop the durability attribute to represent his injury prone nature.
Axford was great last year and is only 28, so how could he be going downhill, from A overall to B potential?

Manny Ramirez at 42? is A overall and A potential--now that really gets me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't think that's what it means. I think that A potential will mean younger players improve more and faster; B potential a little less when they do and it might take them longer than A; C potential the same.

I think D and F potential are more likely to stay stagnant or show very minimal improvement and it would take longer to show up.

The other side of potential, however, is when a player ages. After they hit 30 or 31 (I forget which) they typically have reached their full potential; in other words, they're not really going to improve much, if at all.

So eventually they'll enter their decline phase (again, around 30-32 years old). What potential does at that point is it determines how much and how fast they decline.

Those F potential guys will just deteriorate into double-A fodder, with the same happening to D and C potential, though to a lesser degree.

A and B potential guys will hold their overalls and skills longer (plus they have hopefully hit pretty high thanks to their progression years) than the worse potential guys.

Ex: Say Buster Posey has an A potential (no idea if he does right now). He will improve his skills until he hits 30 or 31 y/o and then begin his decline phase. His progression should be faster or have a higher ceiling than lower potential guys.

Now, Albert Pujols probably has A potential, too. But he's no longer improving. However, he will maintain his overall rating and skills probably pretty well into his late 30s.

I've based this on a couple seasons of playing franchise, so maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I've seen it work.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
MVP

^^^

I believe you've missed the real question here. Axford is an A overall with B potential and my question is what does that mean? He can't be going down because of age, and he had a great season last year. So, why is he A overall with B potential in default roster?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Rookie

ManWithBag's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
^^^

I believe you've missed the real question here. Axford is an A overall with B potential and my question is what does that mean? He can't be going down because of age, and he had a great season last year. So, why is he A overall with B potential in default roster?
His potential is a B because he is not going to keep progressing as much or as fast as a player with A potential, but he still hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »