Home

MLB TS 11 & 12 and Analog Hitting

This is a discussion on MLB TS 11 & 12 and Analog Hitting within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
MLB TS 11 & 12 and Analog Hitting

I had high hopes when they introduced analog batting. I've been faithful to MLB the show for many many years now but somehow last years analog hitting just never clicked for me. Although I appreciate the sim aspect greatly in my sports games, I feel that the learning curve is just becoming too steep for a game like this that's already vying for your attention against the likes of Call of Duty, Madden, etc.. That being said with the analog hitting I feel that more of the pick up and play element went out the door. You still have the option of playing with the old batting settings but the thought of using the old controls kinda made me feel like the geezer that couldn't hang. I wanted to be an adopter of analog hitting. I wanted to use the hitting settings everyone else was using or at least that I thought everyone else was using. MLB TS 11 was the first time I had purchased the show and not dedicated a significant amount of time to the game. I don't think I've played one game to completion in TS 11 and that's unusual for me. The analog hitting at least how it's done now is just to much of a learning investment for some people. Analog is exactly how it sounds. It's not digital, exact, or absolute. Analog is imprecise, you're gonna have to get a feel for it and that may involve time. I haven't picked up MLB TS 12 yet and not sure if I will if it hasn't changed much. The Diamond Dynasty is intriguing but I wonder if that alone makes if worth purchasing. Anyone else kinda feel the same way?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB TS 11 & 12 and Analog Hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpuppy
I had high hopes when they introduced analog batting. I've been faithful to MLB the show for many many years now but somehow last years analog hitting just never clicked for me. Although I appreciate the sim aspect greatly in my sports games, I feel that the learning curve is just becoming too steep for a game like this that's already vying for your attention against the likes of Call of Duty, Madden, etc.. That being said with the analog hitting I feel that more of the pick up and play element went out the door. You still have the option of playing with the old batting settings but the thought of using the old controls kinda made me feel like the geezer that couldn't hang. I wanted to be an adopter of analog hitting. I wanted to use the hitting settings everyone else was using or at least that I thought everyone else was using. MLB TS 11 was the first time I had purchased the show and not dedicated a significant amount of time to the game. I don't think I've played one game to completion in TS 11 and that's unusual for me. The analog hitting at least how it's done now is just to much of a learning investment for some people. Analog is exactly how it sounds. It's not digital, exact, or absolute. Analog is imprecise, you're gonna have to get a feel for it and that may involve time. I haven't picked up MLB TS 12 yet and not sure if I will if it hasn't changed much. The Diamond Dynasty is intriguing but I wonder if that alone makes if worth purchasing. Anyone else kinda feel the same way?
Analog works great in 12, it is better then 11, there are so many ways to customize the show in your controls cannot see how this is even an issue.

This is yearly the best selling baseball game and it's one 1 platform, it has a dedicated fanbase and NEVER will compete with the likes of COD, not even sure what your even talking about there.

This is a baseball game that is for hardcore baseball fans and it is yearly the top seller and is yearly the best quality baseball on the market. Mission accomplished.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I tried the analog stuff last year. I saw the appeal, but margin for error was too low in all aspects for me. I got better at the fielding, but was still turning too many routine outs into doubles/triples with errant throws. The pitching was probably the best, but that was frustrating at times too.

Batting was the most frustrating. Think it has something to do with how I grip the controller and use the right stick. I found it very difficult to move the stick up and left (turn on inside pitch for right handed batters) when having to quickly judge the location, speed, and pitch type. My natural motion would put the stick straight up or a little to the right, so every pitch on that side of the plate would result in a right handed hitter getting jammed or a lefty reaching and whiffing or hitting a weak pop or grounder. Then I'd get so worried about that, I'd lose focus on trying to judge whether I wanted to swing at a pitch and would end up swinging at everything. Also, I didn't like the fact that you were just swinging with the width of the pitch, but had no input on the height. So you may time the pitch perfectly and swing the right direction, but height is random. Striking out 10-15 times a game and getting less than 3 runs and 5 hits consistently got old. What really killed it for me is that I really didn't see any improvements with practice. It was more frustrating than fun, and that pretty much negates the whole point of gaming.

Anyway, I started using the zone hitting this year. Love it already. It's a challenge, but easier to manage and more logical in my opinion. I get to use the left stick to try and move right to the ball, and still have to time it with a button. Feels like I have a bit more control of all aspects of the swing. Had some strikeouts, weak ground outs, pop outs, singles, and extra base hits. If it gets too easy, I'll just increase the difficulty, shrinking the PCI.

Enjoyed the pulse pitching too. Going to take some getting used to, but I love the fact that it's just one button and timing. Probably my favorite aspect is that when you're relaxed, it's easier. When you're in a tense spot with runners on, it's harder. That is baseball.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Have you considered lowering Stride Difficulty slider to minimum?

I haven't played on PS3 with analog, but I've almost always used Pure Analog in 11, and I don't think it should be too difficult once you get hang of it. To start, I would also suggest lowering Pitch Speed slider to minimum when using Analog hitting. I'm curious if any improvement has been done in 12, but at least in 11, you had to start committing a bit earlier (compared to button hitting) in order to catch up to fastball.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

To be fair, COD is far from pickup and play. I've seen numerous old-timer friends of mine play it a few times and after going 1-35 saying "forget it, I hate this game". I play on HOF with the pitch speed the whole way up and still get 8-10 hits a game no problem. Then again, on COD, I'm lucky to get as many kills as I do deaths. And I don't think I ever won an online Madden game in my life. Everyone is good at something, and everyone sucks at something. They can't control that. Not being a jerk here, but the BIGS is a fantastic game for pick-up-and-play baseball. And so is turning on one-button play in the Show.

Agree with the previous posters...try turning the stride timing slider way down. No shame, I do the same thing to pass blocking in NCAA. To each his own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I rented TS 12 and I'm gonna give it try tonight.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Rookie

Really liking the batter's eye hitting. I love Konami baseball imports so I definitely been waiting for this kind of batting for a long time. Not using analog. So far the Dynasty is pretty cool and the player graphics look like they got a serious upgrade.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Rookie

Biggest gripe is that it tends to freeze ALOT while editing uniforms for Diamond Dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »