Home

ESPN:Review: MLB 12 The Show better than ever

This is a discussion on ESPN:Review: MLB 12 The Show better than ever within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
ESPN:Review: MLB 12 The Show better than ever

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...tter-than-ever

Extremely good review of the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: ESPN:Review: MLB 12 The Show better than ever

That will most likely be the best review we will see, that guy knows baseball, and that was a very impressive, thorough review. He pointed out a flaw that was justified too. Thanks for sharing..
Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
That will most likely be the best review we will see, that guy knows baseball, and that was a very impressive, thorough review. He pointed out a flaw that was justified too. Thanks for sharing..

agree with that 100%

also
thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

"This feature fails for two reasons: First, it gives you a throbbing headache after about two innings of staring at it, but more importantly your opponent can see exactly how close each pitch came to its ideal location as both players see the size of the pulsating meter around the ball. The player who is batting, seeing a wide meter around the baseball as the pitch is being delivered, instantly knows that the command of the pitch will be poor and is therefore given a clear sign that he doesn't need to swing. This is not a factor with the traditional pitching meter but in the case of Pulse Pitching, when both players are focused on the strike zone, it seems the video equivalent of the guy in the white T-shirt in Toronto's center-field bleachers: a giveaway."

I actually brought up something similar to this at CD because in a 2 player game I knew which pitch was coming based on the size of the circle and the state of the individual pitch confidence. Actually all you have to do is turn off your individual pitch confidence and your opponent cannot correlate the two of them.

As far as the sentence in bold is concerned that is not always the case and actually the pitch can be extremely hittable. So just because your opponent did not get good command of the pitch does not mean you have an automatic ball when in actuality you could end up with a very good pitch to drive. Just some thoughts on the subject.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
"This feature fails for two reasons: First, it gives you a throbbing headache after about two innings of staring at it, but more importantly your opponent can see exactly how close each pitch came to its ideal location as both players see the size of the pulsating meter around the ball. The player who is batting, seeing a wide meter around the baseball as the pitch is being delivered, instantly knows that the command of the pitch will be poor and is therefore given a clear sign that he doesn't need to swing. This is not a factor with the traditional pitching meter but in the case of Pulse Pitching, when both players are focused on the strike zone, it seems the video equivalent of the guy in the white T-shirt in Toronto's center-field bleachers: a giveaway."

I actually brought up something similar to this at CD because in a 2 player game I knew which pitch was coming based on the size of the circle and the state of the individual pitch confidence. Actually all you have to do is turn off your individual pitch confidence and your opponent cannot correlate the two of them.

As far as the sentence in bold is concerned that is not always the case and actually the pitch can be extremely hittable. So just because your opponent did not get good command of the pitch does not mean you have an automatic ball when in actuality you could end up with a very good pitch to drive. Just some thoughts on the subject.
I would assume that during online play, like in previous years, the pitching interface doesn't show up when you're batting? So this wouldn't be an issue there?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I would assume that during online play, like in previous years, the pitching interface doesn't show up when you're batting? So this wouldn't be an issue there?
Nope not at all. Just an issue in side by side game.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
The Champ Is Here

Doormat's Arena

OVR: 27

Funny, it's exactly the same thing I told my friend today while I was walking with him.

"This game is better than ever, and feels much different in a good way"
Gotta love ESPN and their gaming reviews.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Pro

Foo4Everlong's Arena

OVR: 8

Totally agree with the inaccuracy of the rosters from pitch repotoire to player accessories to batting stances and pitch deliveries to batting and fielding attributes to player info like height and weight. SCEA needs a "Rating Czar" like Madden has to get these Rosters up to par. I would be willing to offer my services! It's my favorite part of the game...working with the rosters! Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »